Author Topic: Texas mini BBQ Crawl  (Read 12908 times)

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Re: Texas mini BBQ Crawl
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2016, 09:52:32 AM »
Jason, I hate to tell this but I live here and never heard of the Creole House. Lol.........

Not really, but I haven't heard anything about it. That shrimp and grits looks terrible. I wish I had known you were looking for someplace to eat. I probably wouldn't have gone. Been nursing a smashed hand. Not that I'd expect anyone to really catch it but in the Making a Medium Jambalaya post when I started cooking on site I had some unwanted help arrive. Well, when it was done I had to roll this like 18 gallon cast iron pot in a steel burner setup a good hundred yards and so I decided to go through the school building. As I'm rolling the pot and just getting to a double doorway that helper appears againg and say "Here, I'll help you with that and." And before I can say "No, I got it!" He grabs a handle and jerks on it and causes the rig to turn right into the corner of a BIG thick wooden door. One with nice sharp 90 degree corners. Lol..... My left ring finger jams right on that corner. I saw stars!!!!! I had to run and run it under cold water and grab a rag to cover the bloody mess. Good thing all of the cooking was done. It's a lil better today, swelling is going down but still hurts like hell. I know he meant well but next time I do something like this I'm doing it secretly. Lol.....................

Anyway, I'm sorry to tell you but that's about what it cost for two to eat down there and sometimes more.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »
The cost wasn't the problem so much as what I got in return for said $$$ spent, lol. That meal should've been about $40.00 on the high side IMHO.

Oh well, when in Rome! Glad it's over, good to be home for sure. I enjoyed the trip minus the traffic :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 10:27:07 AM »
Jason, I hate to tell this but I live here and never heard of the Creole House.

I wasn't making that stuff up - it's the former Arby's on the corner of Canal & Decatur. I checked it out when we were there last month and quickly made the call to pass it by. Apparently I was far happier with my decision than RG was with his.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline RG

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »
Jason, I hate to tell this but I live here and never heard of the Creole House.

I wasn't making that stuff up - it's the former Arby's on the corner of Canal & Decatur. I checked it out when we were there last month and quickly made the call to pass it by. Apparently I was far happier with my decision than RG was with his.

I am still learning when you're being sarcastic and when you're serious, lol. After going back and looking at that picture, I can see the dang bottom of the Arby's logo :P

That's crazy though, that place doesn't look anything at all like it used to be an Arby's on the inside. It's huge to boot! We ate there because there were a ton of great reviews online, people were raving about their Shrimp & Grits. My Son makes Shrimp & Grits that BLOW those out of the water. So much for eating authentic Creole food I guess, it was a bummer :(
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
The Turtle is only sarcastic when he posts something. Otherwise he is a very serious man :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »
The Turtle is only sarcastic when he posts something. Otherwise he is a very serious man :P

Dig it...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RG

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »
I took a butt load of pictures, shared some, kept a lot out of the "share" pile. Here's one I meant to post.

I've never seen a Travel Center before that sold smokers and fire pits. This was but a wee sample of what they had!

Also, I like this picture. Taken while driving in the rain over a bridge. It would make a good desktop wallpaper I think.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 03:22:37 PM »
I took a butt load of pictures, shared some, kept a lot out of the "share" pile. Here's one I meant to post.

I've never seen a Travel Center before that sold smokers and fire pits. This was but a wee sample of what they had!

Also, I like this picture. Taken while driving in the rain over a bridge. It would make a good desktop wallpaper I think.

That's Cool! Only in Texas
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »

There are 2 very special reasons to stop at Buc-ees.... #1 and #2.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »
IR2DUM took us to Buc-ees as part of our bbq crawl.
Everything really IS bigger in Texas!
The biggest truck stops around here can't compare to that place!

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2016, 07:52:30 PM »
Buc-ees is known for their clean, fancy, elegant, modern rest rooms. I have only seen one rest room that is fancier than Buc-ees and it is in Branson, MO at the Shoji Tabuchi Theater. Everything is gold plated and it has a wood fired fireplace and billiard table in it. The first time I saw it, I forgot that I had to go.