Author Topic: Why I am here...  (Read 9524 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Why I am here...
« Reply #-1 on: May 12, 2016, 01:31:02 PM »
A beloved forum member here(Smoke) wrote about an incident that happened on another forum that is a driving force why we as a group appreciate this forum. Many of us who started at this forum had really bad experiences at others and as a group wanted a change.

I wanted to start this thread so members can voice some of their personal experiences at other forums that may have left them with a sour taste in their mouth.

Now keep in mind it is best not to directly name the other forum or members for obvious reasons. There are always bad apples that spoil the bunch so I would never want to lump everyone in a forum membership into a bad light. Just keep in mind that the moderators here are the key reason that we have such a great group of members here and are not plagued with the problems that other forums experience.

Also there are two sides to every story obviously.

I think sharing some general stories not only is freeing to the soul but allows us to see behavior that happens and should not ever be acceptable.

I will start off with one experience of mine...

So I had been contacted by a forum admin via PM about a post of mine he had to edit. Seems I had a picture on the post of one of the rubs I used for the cook. I did not know that the forum had banned any pictures or reference to the brand rub I was using. But instead of handling it professionally the admin sends words in caps and a threat of the ban stick if it happens again. It obviously did not rub well with me(pun intended). I responded that I was not aware and that was that.

So time went by and I had posted several other cooks in between. Then I had a cook that used the same brand rub. When I listed the rub I used I did not put a picture or brand name of the rub. I simply put the style name of the rub. The post sat for about a month. People viewed and commented on it. No big deal.

Then someone posted on the thread asking what kind of rub it was. I responded to this member via PM(private message) explaining what the rub was and the story of why I could not post about it. I told the other member the threat of the ban stick and not to post about the rub or they could face retaliation.

Within an hour I get another message from this admin. Bold, caps, etc telling me that he deleted my thread for posting a reference of the rub and one more time and I will be banned. Well I was officially done. It appeared to me that the admin was reading my PM's. He denied it but I really believe he did.

I had sat there and watched this guy bully members. He would berate members right in their threads. Then his group of thugs(chosen members) would back him up and drive good members away. It reminded me of an elementary school playground bully.

So I posted a thread on how I had a disagreement with an admin and would be leaving the forum. I never said who or the details just that we did not agree and I was leaving. I did not want to just disappear like other members had. I had many friends on there and really wanted to say goodbye instead of just disappearing like many others had.

The thread took off of course. The admin's thugs were posting how they are glad I was leaving, or how I should not have posted it and just left. But there were many members who posted in the thread about the problems the admin created.

After the thread about how I was leaving took off I was personally contacted by the owner of the forum. He is a very good guy and tried to talk me into staying but I told him as long as that admin was in charge I could not stay. He had told me some personal things about the admin(excuses) but I advised him this guy was driving good people away.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Why I am here...
« on: May 12, 2016, 01:51:05 PM »
Dang, sorry to hear about that Muebe.

As a moderator here, whenever I move or change or delete a post, I always contact the member by pm to let him/her know I made a change and why I felt I had to do it.

I feel it is respectful and courteous to all involved.

I also send a bcc to the other mods so all can see the correspondence and if any feel I am out of whack, I can get feedback from them.

I was the first Global Moderator here at the forum but I just feel like I am member #33  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Why I am here...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 02:16:53 PM »
Despite the high fees. This place is pretty cool
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »
another problem with that particular kettle based forum was they had "clicks"   a guy would post a simple hamburger cook and he would get pages of praise while another member would post a super involved cook and get a reply or two. I hardly got any replies on my posts, but I wasn't there for the glory and the glamour. In fact in retrospect, I don't even know why I hung around there as long as I did..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
In all seriousness, I was on another forum for awhile.  And met some great people and learned a lot.  A few little things like posting about a rub or product that was not allowed.  Stupid and annoying.  Then they threw some shade on my favorite member......see you later.  :o

And besides Tee made me an offer I couldn't refuse  ???
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »
I still clearly remember when you left that forum in question Mike. I also remember reading the many attacks directed at you on said forum and if memory serves me right ( I have sometimers! ... sometimes I remember ) I reached out to you to find out what had happened cause you were a very active member and everyone really learned a lot and benefited by your wisdom and cooks. Most of all I remember how the moderator attacked you personally on the forum and the ganging up by others was atrocious.

My situation occurred on a wood pellet smoking forum where I read many instances where members were often dumped on ... there was one rule - my way or the highway! ... Anyway the forum used to hold weekly cooking contests. People would post cooks with pictures, etc and the previous week's winner would pick the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. Then you received $25/$10/$5 respectively to spend at the forum owner's online store.

Back then I actively posted everything and I always entered the weekly contests. Now a few bucks here and there don't buy you much so when I won a 1st/2nd/3rd now and then I decided to save up the cash codes until I could buy something of substance. Over time I saved up close to $150 and decided to cash in. Using my cash codes I spent my money and bought a bunch of rubs and spices at no cost to me.

Well I did receive the products I ordered but I was chastised for doing what I did. Apparently I was expected to buy items with money out of my pocket and not just use the cash codes. A big deal of it was made on the forum (my name was never mentioned but I knew who they were talking about) and I figured that was the end of it. Nope - I was locked out. My account was frozen and I was never able to login again - this was a few years ago. No skin off my backside. It's their loss.

So here I am at LTBBQ and happy!  :D  :D  8)  8)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Pappymn

Why I am here...
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
I still clearly remember when you left that forum in question Mike. I also remember reading the many attacks directed at you on said forum and if memory serves me right ( I have sometimers! ... sometimes I remember ) I reached out to you to find out what had happened cause you were a very active member and everyone really learned a lot and benefited by your wisdom and cooks. Most of all I remember how the moderator attacked you personally on the forum and the ganging up by others was atrocious.

My situation occurred on a wood pellet smoking forum where I read many instances where members were often dumped on ... there was one rule - my way or the highway! ... Anyway the forum used to hold weekly cooking contests. People would post cooks with pictures, etc and the previous week's winner would pick the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. Then you received $25/$10/$5 respectively to spend at the forum owner's online store.

Back then I actively posted everything and I always entered the weekly contests. Now a few bucks here and there don't buy you much so when I won a 1st/2nd/3rd now and then I decided to save up the cash codes until I could buy something of substance. Over time I saved up close to $150 and decided to cash in. Using my cash codes I spent my money and bought a bunch of rubs and spices at no cost to me.

Well I did receive the products I ordered but I was chastised for doing what I did. Apparently I was expected to buy items with money out of my pocket and not just use the cash codes. A big deal of it was made on the forum (my name was never mentioned but I knew who they were talking about) and I figured that was the end of it. Nope - I was locked out. My account was frozen and I was never able to login again - this was a few years ago. No skin off my backside. It's their loss.

So here I am at LTBBQ and happy!  :D  :D  8)  8)
I remember that story well :(. Pretty petty stuff
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 03:42:40 PM »
  Well, I drug my feet migrating to this forum from the old CB forum.  I knew so many folks at the old one that I really enjoyed conversing with and just hated to leave (let go).  But as it literally died and  many of the regular members moving on to here  I came on over and have enjoyed every minute. 
And,  So far I have managed to stay out of trouble. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 04:20:54 PM »
  Well, I drug my feet migrating to this forum from the old CB forum.  I knew so many folks at the old one that I really enjoyed conversing with and just hated to leave (let go).  But as it literally died and  many of the regular members moving on to here  I came on over and have enjoyed every minute. 
And,  So far I have managed to stay out of trouble.
Terry..I'm glad your here.. and am in no trouble yet either..it's early..lol ..just sayin  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »
Though I have been contacted several times about many of my controversial posts and cooks, I have survived the threat of being banned and silenced.

None of the above is true, but I wish I could have seen the moderator's face when he read it.

Besides the defunct CB site, I was involved in only one other four.  It is for users of a certain kamado cooker.  Most of the posts were weeks old and mine hardly ever got a reply, even when asking for advice.

I'm  happy here.

Just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 04:52:29 PM »
Never been kicked off a forum yet  ::)
I know my slightly irrelevant sense of humor is tolerated her so I'm staying!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 05:10:49 PM »
We ALL have wrinkles of one type or another. And it is refreshing to be kidded about the  aforementioned wrinkles here by other members and not be forced into being terribly similar. We have a wonderful blend of kind hearts here and I am not just lucky to be here but also proud to be a member!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
We ALL have wrinkles of one type or another. And it is refreshing to be kidded about the  aforementioned wrinkles here by other members and not be forced into being terribly similar. We have a wonderful blend of kind hearts here and I am not just lucky to be here but also proud to be a member!

I couldn't have said it better, Gene - especially the kind hearts.
X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 05:20:25 PM »

I couldn't have said it better, Gene - especially the kind hearts.
X2!

Thanks David! This reminds me of the United Way's slogan.....
"Thanks to you, it's working for ALL of us!"

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 05:27:27 PM »
another problem with that particular kettle based forum was they had "clicks"   a guy would post a simple hamburger cook and he would get pages of praise while another member would post a super involved cook and get a reply or two. I hardly got any replies on my posts, but I wasn't there for the glory and the glamour. In fact in retrospect, I don't even know why I hung around there as long as I did..........

I don't know if I know the one that you're talking about, but, I do visit one that sounds very similar.

Never been kicked off a forum yet  ::)
I know my slightly irrelevant sense of humor is tolerated her so I'm staying!

Unlike LA, I have been "banned."  (Shades of Jerry Seinfeld!)  But only because I was on the wrong side of the divorce when the Big Mahoffs of a Cigar forum I spent a lot of time on split up.

Like LA, so far you guys have been willing to put up with my sarcasm, which, by the way, I have been really trying to keep somewhat under control.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC