Author Topic: Making Caramel Without Melting The Sugar  (Read 599 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Making Caramel Without Melting The Sugar
« Reply #-1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:14:48 PM »
This is a different approach that has some serious possibilities for my baking habit.  Might also be good in an adult beverage, too.  Check it out. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/how-to-make-caramel-without-melting-sugar.html

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Making Caramel Without Melting The Sugar
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:40:01 PM »
Another way to go, and it's wonderful. just sayin.

Dulce de Leche caramel in a Slow Cooker.

Here's a really easy way to make caramel in a slow cooker. A south American caramel called "Dulce de Leche". This is similar to the jars of caramel that are used as ice cream topping. But I think Dulce de Leche has a richer flavor. It is also thicker than the ice cream topping.

You will need a sealed can of Sweetened Condensed Milk (like Eagle brand, Carnation, La Lechera etc.). Evaporated milk will not work, it must be sweetened condensed milk. You may prepare several cans at once, if desired.

Place the sealed can on its side in a Slow Cooker.

Add water to Slow Cooker until sealed can of Sweetened Condensed Milk is completely covered with water. (Placing the cans on their sides allows hot water to reach all sides of the cans, cooking the caramel more evenly and it takes less water.)

Set Slow Cooker on "LOW" and cook for 8 to 10 hours. (Depending on how dark and thick you like your caramel.) I like my caramel thick and rich so I cooked it for 10 hours.

After cooking for the desired time, place the cans in cold water until they are room temperature. Don't open the cans until they are room temperature or hot caramel may spray out.

Open the cooled can and you have a dark brown, wonderful tasting caramel called "Dulce de Leche".

Store, covered, in the fridge. It will keep for several weeks, but mine disappears from the fridge long before that.

Use Dulce de Leche caramel on ice cream, in hot or cold drinks, spread it on muffins, use it as a baking ingredient, etc.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:53:38 PM »
Yum Yum
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:04:51 PM »
Interesting!
Did you say in adult beverages?  Hmmmmm 8)