Author Topic: Need Some Advice From 'Ya All on Georgia Peaches (The kind that grow on trees)  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
A local church youth group goes to Georgia each year and brings back a few truck loads of peaches. This is their main fund raiser, so I actively participate because (A) the peaches last year were the best I've had in many years & (B) It's for the kids  ;) 8)
We have to pre-order them, the form came in my email inbox today, they need it back back by Sunday afternoon, as they are finalizing everything.
So my question is this; I know the quality depends greatly on the type of Spring weather Georgia had this year.  They are making 3 runs this year (as compared to only 1 last year).  We have to pick them up the day the truck hits town. I have 3 dates to choose from and I know from previous experience that if they pick them too early they will be hard and tend to rot from the inside out, or if picked too far past their 'prime' they will be mushy and not last. At $33 for a small lug (did i mention it's for the kids) I want to choose properly when I turn in my order.
I can choose from (1) July 5th (2) July 12th (3) July 19th. 
YES, I know I SHOULD do all 3 dates and then feast like a hog & can the rest, BUT my wife is now quite disabled (happened rather suddenly 2 years ago)  :( and she says she cannot & will not help with the canning process. :'(  My disease has advanced to the point where I just don't have that kind of energy anymore (I save what energy I have for grillin', smokin' and cooking in general.  ::)
The peaches they grow here in Iowa aren't ready until end of August, and that's assuming they didn't get hit by a major frost during Spring blossom time. And, YES...the Georgia peaches ARE so much better tasting. So I'm at a loss as to the timeline for peak picking time in Georgia. I knew the gang here on the forum would have some thoughts on this matter. Thanks for any advice.
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline sparky

• northern california
Does the peach purchase do any shipping.  I'd buy a lug if they could ship overnight.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline DWard51

IT's not the spring weather, it's the winter weather.  Peaches need a certain number of chill hours for a good crop.  The 2015/2016 winter has the lowest chill hours on record for a lot of growing areas and this years crop is not going to be as large nor as good of a quality as in the past.  There are some areas that commercially produce that did not even get enough hours to set the fruit.

http://www.aces.edu/dept/peaches/peachipm/mesonet/
http://www.macon.com/news/local/community/houston-peach/article60409051.html
http://www.georgiacrop.com/warm-and-wet-december-worries-peach-pecan-and-blueberry-farmers

So this year is not going to be stellar for peaches, blueberries, or pecans in GA from the way it looks like the winter went.

Offline Dakota Don

Thanks for the info DWARD51.  & thanks for those links....those will come in handy.
C.B. BEESR

Offline Dakota Don

Does the peach purchase do any shipping.  I'd buy a lug if they could ship overnight.
Well, It's $33 for a lug, average weight is 30 pounds. I don't know what overnight freight would cost to your zip code. I'd be happy to order a lug for you and i could ship them from here to you, but the price could get a bit steep. They don't offer any shipping, but if you contact one of the growers, they might be more willing to work with you. Heck, if I had a little more energy, I'd just drive down there & get a bunch.... I bet a road trip to Georgia would be awesome (but warm, from what I understand).
C.B. BEESR

Offline Pappymn

Well, It's $33 for a lug, average weight is 30 pounds. I don't know what overnight freight would cost to your zip code. I'd be happy to order a lug for you and i could ship them from here to you, but the price could get a bit steep. They don't offer any shipping, but if you contact one of the growers, they might be more willing to work with you. Heck, if I had a little more energy, I'd just drive down there & get a bunch.... I bet a road trip to Georgia would be awesome (but warm, from what I understand).
Sparky will bring the Coors
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
Thanks for the info.  I will call a few places.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline DWard51

Pearson Farms is one of the better known and rated ones.  I've never used them personally, but I have seen them on TV here in GA and read good things about them.  It's a family run farm since the 1800's.  Not inexpensive (compared to what we pickup at the local stands here in GA).

http://www.pearsonfarm.com/

Offline SouthGAQue

Those three weeks shouldn't make much difference in terms of ripeness & flavor since you most likely will be getting the same variety.   Instead of canning, when you have a few begin to turn soft; peel, slice, add a little sugar & freeze in a ziplock or vac seal bag.  IMHO, they are much better than canned.  I have been known to eat them right out of the bag just very slightly thawed.
Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker
2 UDS
Chargiller Offset
Weber Kettle
Charbroil Gasser.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
food for thought..I peel and slice peaches like usual and add about an ounce or so of Orange juice. I t keeps the peaches the same color, doesn't affect the flavor and they freeze well under vacuum and have lasted for a year. I did a comparison with just the peaches and with the OJ and the difference was amazing.  just sayin  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron