Author Topic: The BEST Cup of Coffee  (Read 9558 times)

Offline hikerman

The BEST Cup of Coffee
« Reply #-1 on: June 22, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »
Tim has been after me for quite some time to get me to post this. So finally today is the day! ::)
Cold brewing of coffee creates the finest tasting coffee....bar none! And Filtron (www.filtron.com) is the best of the best! A chef friend of mine introduced it to me about 25 years ago. And  I have had my Filtron system for nearly twenty five years. The coffee is full of flavor without the acidity and each cup can be made as strong or weak as you prefer. There is NEVER a half pot of coffee poured down the drain. So it is economical in that there is zero waste!
I'll describe each pic as I go...
1) The Filtron system, seen next to a 5# bag of whole beans.

2) Filtron lower section on left, top on right, the grounds screen in front.
    As you can see the lower section has a graduated bottom which ends with a stopper. This is where       the syrup is eventually drained into a carafe.

3) View inside the bottom showing the cloth filter. When the stopper is pulled, this filter separates the syrup from the grounds.

4) My Capresso bur-grinder. I prefer whole beans freshly ground for the Filtron but store-bought pre-ground coffee will still make you a superior cup of coffee.

5) Grinder with a load of Dark Sumatran Mandheling beans.

6) Ok, bottom stopper, and inner cloth filter in place, we can now add 1# of ground coffee.

7) Ground screen in place, this cuts down on foaming once water is added.

8) 2 qts. of filtered water have been added to top section. It drips slowly into the bottom getting good saturation. This steeps for 12 hours before becoming coffee syrup.

9) Draining/ filtering the newly made syrup into a carafe.

10) My cup with 3 oz of syrup awaiting hot water from the tea kettle.

11) On left is a Tip-n-Pour used to measure the syrup to get your cup of coffee to the EXACT strength of your preference.

12) My perfect cup of coffee! A great way to start any day!

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: The BEST Cup of Coffee
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
Folks...Gene changed my coffee world... I actually owned a few very expensive Italian espresso machines. Commercial, multi-thousand dollar jobs. I have a coffee roaster that will roast 2 pounds at a time. Commercial grinders. I am serious coffee head....

Then Gene tells me about this "Filtron" thing...and I think, well - I will be nice and give it a try...but - I know good coffee.

BOOM! - there went my bubble ( and a sizable chunk of ego... :-[ ;D )!

I now ONLY cold brew my coffee, and overtime I have guests -and ask them how they would like their coffee...IF they are open to trying cold brewed - they are ALWAYS amazed at how much BETTER it is than my Italian machines at making coffee...no kidding.

The reason is...chemistry. When we hot brew coffee - there are hundreds of additional compounds that we extract from the ground coffee bean - that do not contribute positively to the taste an aroma.

Those are chiefly the acidic and oily compounds that can cause us an upset stomach. But - by no means will the resultant cold brewed coffee concentrate lack for ANYTHING that you smell or taste. ANd- as a potential benefit - there is actually MORE caffeine in a cup of cold brew.

Just like there is MORE caffeine in a light brewed coffee vs medium or dark. Many think that the darker the roast the stronger the coffee. That is exactly opposite of the truth - if we are talking about caffeine content. This is because caffeine is a fairly volatile compound. The more heat, and longer the bean is roasted - the less caffeine remains in the bean. Sort of a heat induced gasification...not exactly like how spicy chili reacts on your gut...but...you get the picture...it leaves the scene ;) 8)

A couple of other benefits tot eh Filtron system: IT IS CHEAP! Look at the price on their site. Something like...$40. And - because it requires ZERO electricity - yo can leave it to steep for 24 hours unattended, then pour up the concentrate - pop it in the fridge and it will keep for at least 2 weeks!.
And...It is great for camping. Take a container with you, heat what you need...and save space, time , trouble.

Try it! You will likely become a cold brew convert.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
One of my long line of (usually psycho) exes used to make cold-filtered coffee and I remember it as one of the highlights of the relationship. Might have to try it again.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline stalag

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:37:20 PM »
One of my long line of (usually psycho) exes used to make cold-filtered coffee and I remember it as one of the highlights of the relationship. Might have to try it again.
Do you also with the X have a Y and Z also?
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 10:05:53 PM »
I am interested in this cold brewing process. Starbucks has cold brewed coffee and it goes quickly in the mornings. I usually feel lucky to get my hands on it.

I am torn between the Filtron and OXO system. I might go with the OXO system instead of the Filtron. Same process just different units.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:15:18 AM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 10:18:09 PM »
I am interested in this cold brewing process. Starbucks has cold brewed coffee and it goes quickly in the mornings. I usually feel lycky to get my hands on it.

I am torn between the Filtron and OXO system. I might go with the OXO system instead of the Filtron. Same process just different units.

That one looks interesting muebe. and - it does look like it works the same way. THe idea is allowing enough time for the grounds to steep.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 02:07:29 AM »
Very interesting, I cold brew coffee for iced coffee..by combining the coffee and cold water, over night. Wonder what the difference would be? Any thoughts?    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »
Very interesting, I cold brew coffee for iced coffee..by combining the coffee and cold water, over night. Wonder what the difference would be? Any thoughts?    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Same thing Pam. Only difference is Filtron way it is steeped 12 - 24 hours before being filtered. What is left is coffee syrup, which you add a predetermined amount to a cup and add hot water. And cold brewed coffee makes the best iced coffee as it's not over-dilluted with ice. Give it a shot!

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:11 AM »

Same thing Pam. Only difference is Filtron way it is steeped 12 - 24 hours before being filtered. What is left is coffee syrup, which you add a predetermined amount to a cup and add hot water. And cold brewed coffee makes the best iced coffee as it's not over-dilluted with ice. Give it a shot!
My coffee also sits for 12 -24 hours then I filter it with cheesecloth or paper towels or coffee filters and close mesh strainers. I also freeze some for ice cubes to not dilute my mix..I make a big batch cause I love it in the summer and it lasts for a long time till I drink it all. I guess it's just a diferent way of doing it. Thanks for the info.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 09:35:26 AM »
The Dutch were the first to cold-brew coffee way back around 1600, over 400 years ago. So not a new idea! The Japanese adopted this method which they called Kyoto coffee.

I must add that the Filtron unit I have has lasted 25 years with absolutely no sign of wear, giving me confidence it will outlast me! For a $40.00 investment how could you go wrong? How many and at what cost have the auto-drip coffee makers you've purchased in twenty five years compared?  It is rare any more that the more frugal choice gives us a far superior product!
Filtron was originally only available to restaurant's and food service supply houses. If you choose this method be careful of the brand you choose....they are not all created equal.

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »
Thanks Hikerman for all your info..I find that in cooking recipes, it works that way too..less is best sometimes..I learned this from my mother in law, years ago and she was a fabulous cook.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 09:45:59 AM »
Thanks Hikerman for all your info..I find that in cooking recipes, it works that way too..less is best sometimes..I learned this from my mother in law, years ago and she was a fabulous cook.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Pam this concentrated syrup is excellent in cooking. I have added it to marinades, desserts and speaking of desserts. For a sweet treat slowly warm some syrup in a pan while adding sugar. Allow this concoction to thicken and pour over a bowl of vanilla ice cream! It's uses are endless!

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
Pam this concentrated syrup is excellent in cooking. I have added it to marinades, desserts and speaking of desserts. For a sweet treat slowly warm some syrup in a pan while adding sugar. Allow this concoction to thicken and pour over a bowl of vanilla ice cream! It's uses are endless!

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
Yep...I think the kits from Filtron and OXO just make it simpler or easier for folks that have not been doing it the way you have Pam....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 12:17:14 PM »
I'm going to get one of these.  I like espresso every morning but my wife loves her morning coffee. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66