Author Topic: If you had to whittle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...  (Read 13729 times)

Offline rwalters

If you had to whittle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »
I cannot stand it any longer.  Last I checked "widdle" is not a word.  However what makes sense is the word "whittle" in the subject title put in place by the OP.
Fixed :)

Probably the first time I've used that word in 10+ years. Misspelled words bug me too!

Hopeing we can muve pasd this and stil be frendz! Kewl? ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: If you had to whittle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:10 AM »
Not fair to ask cause my SRG's are such a big part of my cooking and the Rec Tec is very close to second.

IF I had to pick I would say the SRG only because I know them soooo well and have cooked so much in them

I just hope it never comes to choosing one grill  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »
I'm old school & began cooking on a horizontal barrel cooker.
I can grill , smoke than sear , indirect smoke , & with the firebox use the whole cooker for smoking .
Have cooked pork tenderloin for 150 in one cook.

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline stalag

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 11:16:34 AM »
I cannot stand it any longer.  Last I checked "widdle" is not a word.  However what makes sense is the word "whittle" in the subject title put in place by the OP.
Fixed :)

Probably the first time I've used that word in 10+ years. Misspelled words bug me too!

Hopeing we can muve pasd this and stil be frendz! Kewl? ;)

Bad bad bad.......lol ;)
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
I'm old school & began cooking on a horizontal barrel cooker.
I can grill , smoke than sear , indirect smoke , & with the firebox use the whole cooker for smoking .
Have cooked pork tenderloin for 150 in one cook.

Love it! There is just something magical about old school cookers :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »
I would keep my Memphis. It can do the most out of all my cookers...
[/quote]

X2  -- my Memphis is my best all-around cooker.  My old Traeger is a cavernous slow smoker.  My Weber Performer is a mighty versatile charcoaler.  My PBC is easy to use.  My little Weber gasser is fast and handy.  But, to the academic question of which one can do what all the others do -- it's the Memphis without a doubt.  I just like having the options and versatility of picking the best cooker in my arsenal for whatever and whyever I'm cooking today  ;D

Hub

Hub
[/quote]

Question for you Memphis owners. Was talking with a Memphis dealer awhile back. He raved about the Memphis lineup...but did have one gripe. He used a chicken thigh cook as his example. According to him, when doing a fatty chicken thigh cook with an indirect setup...he said that because of the high heat capability of the Memphis, he was experiencing a lot of flare ups. In other words, he likes to finish off his thighs with high indirect heat, and said that the indirect insert plate gets so hot that the drippings actually burst into flames.

Is this common? Or is it just him?

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 01:22:27 PM »
  I would seriously hate to be down to one cooker! 
But if it came to it this would be it. I have cooked so many different things on the tank. different things cooking at different temps at the same time etc etc...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »
I done this many times i can't even remember what all i used to have.

Hey pass me another shot of Angels Envy  :D :D ???
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
But if it came to it this would be it. I have cooked so many different things on the tank. different things cooking at different temps at the same time etc etc...

Very nice offset!!! But not exactly "quick weeknight friendly"...  ;)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »

Very nice offset!!! But not exactly "quick weeknight friendly"...  ;)
I can cook burgers or steaks on here as fast and easy as I can on the Weber Kettle.   Its all about the setup....   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Hub

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »

Question for you Memphis owners. Was talking with a Memphis dealer awhile back. He raved about the Memphis lineup...but did have one gripe. He used a chicken thigh cook as his example. According to him, when doing a fatty chicken thigh cook with an indirect setup...he said that because of the high heat capability of the Memphis, he was experiencing a lot of flare ups. In other words, he likes to finish off his thighs with high indirect heat, and said that the indirect insert plate gets so hot that the drippings actually burst into flames.

Is this common? Or is it just him?

My Memphis is six years old and doesn't have the "direct" insert thingy so my answer may be null and void.  When grilling or searing at high temps I do get flare-ups but they are easy to deal with by moving the meat to a non-flare area, making sure I foil the pan tightly and evenly so that it drains well, and not trying to cook too many fatty pieces at once.  I can do four big steaks or six smaller ones and have plenty of room.  I don't grill chicken thighs so I can't address that.  Overall, I don't consider flare-ups to be any big deal on the Memphis.  The only problem I have ever had while high-temp grilling is controller "run away" (overshooting --dumping too many pellets) when I leave the lid up too long and don't let the probe/controller catch up with the actual grate/underhood temps.  That's easy to deal with -- leave the stupid lid down unless I'm actually turning/adding/taking off food.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: If you had to widdle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 03:21:38 PM »
My 26" kettle.

Gotta go with Sparky on this one. 

When you add in the Vortex, Slow 'n Sear, GrillGrates, WSM 22.5 Charcoal Ring, and the Second Story:

there's not much that you cannot do on it.  And that doesn't even take into consideration the 22" cast iron skillet that I've got waiting in the wings.

Now if someone would just come out with a 26.75" Gourmet System Grate . . . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 03:38:10 PM »
If I had to choose, no doubt it would be my Grid Iron pellet cooker. I love my Webers and other toys but this is my "old man" lazy type cooker.

Now if I was going to get another cooker for my arsenal it would be the 26" Weber Kettle.  I would probably sell all my other Webers and just stick to the Pellet Cooker and the 26" kettle.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
That 26 inch sure seems to have a lot of room
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 05:58:59 PM »
Thank you everyone for sharing... keep em' coming guys.  Love knowing what floats your boat and why!

At this point, there are 3 cookers that I do NOT own, that really peak my interest:

1) Although I used to have a 26.75 Weber Kettle, being reminded of it really makes me miss it.  It was super versatile, and just an overall great setup!

2) The PK grill has had my attention for quite some time now.  Only problem that I can see is it's size.  I have a large family, and we enjoy having others over as well.  It's to bad they don't have an XL PK... with 500+ sq inches of main grate space.

3) And the cooker that probably has my attention the most, is the Memphis Elite.  It has the size and the versatility, but with that comes the price tag... OUCH!!

For now, I remain happy with my setup... but it is always fun to see what else is out there and hear owner experiences.

I am pretty sure that my dream setup would be 3 cookers.

1) XL sized kamado
2) MAK 2 Star
3) High quality outdoor griddle like something from Crown Verity

My setup is close to this... but it's always fun to dream ;)