Author Topic: If you had to whittle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...  (Read 13731 times)

Offline Pappymn

If you had to whittle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 06:06:06 PM »
The Smoke keeps saying they are going to make an XL PK grill
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

Re: If you had to whittle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
That would be sweet! 
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »
This was easy for me since I only have my Big Steel Keg and my Weber Summit Gold gasser.  Definitely the keg, it can grill, it can bake, it can smoke, and throw a baking steel on it and it becomes a griddle.  Can get temps from 225* to 800*.  Low & slow or hot & fast.  While the Weber is no slouch, 10 years old and still performs like new, it doesn't offer the versatility of the Kamado style cooker.  Plus the keg can be hitched up to the vehicle and travel anywhere. 
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline rwalters

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 06:28:57 PM »
This was easy for me since I only have my Big Steel Keg and my Weber Summit Gold gasser.  Definitely the keg, it can grill, it can bake, it can smoke, and throw a baking steel on it and it becomes a griddle.  Can get temps from 225* to 800*.  Low & slow or hot & fast.  While the Weber is no slouch, 10 years old and still performs like new, it doesn't offer the versatility of the Kamado style cooker.  Plus the keg can be hitched up to the vehicle and travel anywhere.
Have never cooked on a Keg... but they definitely appear to be no joke!!  You have a pic or two of your keg that you can share?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline bamabob

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 07:27:14 PM »
Have never cooked on a Keg... but they definitely appear to be no joke!!  You have a pic or two of your keg that you can share?

Sure.  It's a Kamado style, made of double wall steel with oven grade insulation between the walls.  I've maintained a temp of 225* for 20 hours without having to reload.
Can slide off the roll around stand and onto a hitch adapter.  Much lighter than the ceramic kamados, and can be moved around and banged around without worrying about cracking.  On a downside, since it is made of steel, rust will be a long term issue.  I've had mine since 2010 and it still looks good but the bottom of the firebox where the hot embers fall is starting to show some bubbling. 

Upper and lower grates.  Here's a cook I did with a butt up on top and a brisket down below.

wood fired griddle

Here's a cook I did using the Ash Dragon firebox divider in combination with a half mood griddle to get four heat zones.  smoke, sear over flame, sear on griddle and cook on griddle.

700* pizza wood fired pizza oven

Wings are great on the keg.  Start them low & slow diffused to render the fat and then remove the diffuser and crank it up to crisp them up

Even bake a pie

Kylie liked it   ;D

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline rwalters

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 07:37:34 PM »

Sure.  It's a Kamado style, made of double wall steel with oven grade insulation between the walls.  I've maintained a temp of 225* for 20 hours without having to reload.
Can slide off the roll around stand and onto a hitch adapter.  Much lighter than the ceramic kamados, and can be moved around and banged around without worrying about cracking.  On a downside, since it is made of steel, rust will be a long term issue.  I've had mine since 2010 and it still looks good but the bottom of the firebox where the hot embers fall is starting to show some bubbling. 

Upper and lower grates.  Here's a cook I did with a butt up on top and a brisket down below.

wood fired griddle

Here's a cook I did using the Ash Dragon firebox divider in combination with a half mood griddle to get four heat zones.  smoke, sear over flame, sear on griddle and cook on griddle.

700* pizza wood fired pizza oven

Wings are great on the keg.  Start them low & slow diffused to render the fat and then remove the diffuser and crank it up to crisp them up

Even bake a pie

Kylie liked it   ;D

SHOW-OFF!!! ;)

Love those kegs!

Your food looks crazy good :)

Love love love the dog pic at the end...lol!!!

So what on earth do you still use the Weber gasser for????

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 07:42:42 PM »
I cannot stand it any longer.  Last I checked "widdle" is not a word.  However what makes sense is the word "whittle" in the subject title put in place by the OP.
???
So what is wrong wit some Colloquialism in this fun forum???

That being said if I had to "widdle" down I would keep my current Grid Iron or Royall Pellet grills.

Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline bamabob

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 07:44:17 PM »
Sorry, but I really like this thing.   ::)

On the other hand, I'd love to have a REC TEC pellet pooper also.  Just really can't justify it for just the two of us. 
Another down side of the keg is that it is so efficient at holding heat that it doesn't take much fire to maintain temp.  Results in not a lot of smoke generated for low & slows.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Jgk

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 07:49:42 PM »
I have a Promo Jr, a Rec Tec Mini and a Karubecue and it's the Karubecue hands down ;D ;D ;D
No regrets at all !!! :D
Where there's smoke there's dinner!
Primo Junior
Rec Tec Mini
TEC Infared Grill

Offline rwalters

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »
Sorry, but I really like this thing.   ::)

On the other hand, I'd love to have a REC TEC pellet pooper also.  Just really can't justify it for just the two of us. 
Another down side of the keg is that it is so efficient at holding heat that it doesn't take much fire to maintain temp.  Results in not a lot of smoke generated for low & slows.
Yep, I cook on a Kamado Joe. I know about their efficiency. But the Keg is even more so.  I actually prefer the lighter smoke profile.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »
Hey Bob, that pic of the Ram with the keg on the back looks familiar, lol.

I agree with Bama, the Keg would be my sole cooker IF I had to go with just one cooker. Since I have 3 of them, does that mean I get to keep all 3?  ;D ;)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 09:28:53 PM »

They told me last year possibly the tail end of 2016, but I am not holding my breath................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »
I will say any cooker...given the time they are all good. But if you had to pin me down....my 18.5 Webber charcoal It does all I want....but make it a 26 :D :D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2016, 09:35:19 PM »
Now if location counts.....My magma grill on my old boat on Block Island...best steak ever :D :D :D :D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline rwalters

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2016, 12:07:23 AM »
Hey Bob, that pic of the Ram with the keg on the back looks familiar, lol.

I agree with Bama, the Keg would be my sole cooker IF I had to go with just one cooker. Since I have 3 of them, does that mean I get to keep all 3?  ;D ;)
3 kegs? That right there is quite the endorsement! Talk about versatility!