Author Topic: If you had to whittle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...  (Read 13764 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: If you had to whittle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2016, 07:50:21 AM »
Hey Bob, that pic of the Ram with the keg on the back looks familiar, lol.

I agree with Bama, the Keg would be my sole cooker IF I had to go with just one cooker. Since I have 3 of them, does that mean I get to keep all 3?  ;D ;)
3 kegs? That right there is quite the endorsement! Talk about versatility!

I love the product as is apparent by me owning so many but the company themselves doesn't try very hard to make sure anyone else knows about it. It's frustrating to me. Not so long ago I was an Admin to their site but left that behind. I still love and use my kegs on the regular and due to frustrations with Broil King I have said I would no longer endorse them and recommend the Keg to anyone wanting a Kamado. It's not because it's not an excellent cooker, it's due to me worrying about how long BK will even make them and support them. That alone scares me away from trying to extol its merits onto a potential buyer.

When the Kegs bite the dust, I'll probably move over to Kamado Joe. I would get an Egg but the "eliteness/snobbery" of BGE owners is a big turnoff to me. This is a blanket statement and not meant to offend any of my buds here that own one, you are not the ones I speak of ;) I've found A LOT of people get one as a status symbol and they instantly become bourgeois. Makes me sick to my stomach! I have customers in really nice parts of town that have them and don't even use them but hey, they can say that they're and "Egg Head!" :P

I have to say that getting into outdoor cooking has changed my life for the better. I've met some really fantastic people during my years doing it, both online and in person. The Keg was a HUGE part of that so I can't deny that!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »
 One things for sure. Looking at all Bobs cooks was NOT a good idea when I'm hungry first thing this morning!    They clearly show the power of the KEG!

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline SouthGAQue

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »
If I could have only 1 cooker, it would be an Assassin Charcoal Grill.   I don't have one (yet) but have seen them in action many times.  You can direct grill, indirect grill, smoke low N slow.  Comes standard with a charcoal pan & a water pan. They have a optional heat deflector you can use in place of the water pan.   Hold heat really well with the insulated door.  Even the 36" base model has a lot of cooking space.  Nice, heavy duty shelves in front & one side.   They have 48" & 72" models for those who need even more capacity.  Made in USA in Macon GA.  A lot of quality for the price.   http://assassin-smokers.com/charcoal-grills.php

Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker
2 UDS
Chargiller Offset
Weber Kettle
Charbroil Gasser.

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
If you had to whittle your arsenal down to 1 cooker...
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2016, 10:49:09 AM »
I guess mine would have to be my RecTec 680. Perish the thought of giving up the others though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline rwalters

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2016, 11:02:27 AM »
If I could have only 1 cooker, it would be an Assassin Charcoal Grill.   I don't have one (yet) but have seen them in action many times.  You can direct grill, indirect grill, smoke low N slow.  Comes standard with a charcoal pan & a water pan. They have a optional heat deflector you can use in place of the water pan.   Hold heat really well with the insulated door.  Even the 36" base model has a lot of cooking space.  Nice, heavy duty shelves in front & one side.   They have 48" & 72" models for those who need even more capacity.  Made in USA in Macon GA.  A lot of quality for the price.   http://assassin-smokers.com/charcoal-grills.php

I have looked at those Assassin's many times... love what I see!  Pretty sure I could make one of those work as my only grill/smoker as well ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
Rwalters, I can surely understand your sentiment towards your MAK.

If budget were a factor, my choice would be a 22.5" Weber kettle every time.  Why" Because for about $100 or so I can get a smoker/grill that will do everything I need a smoker/grill to do for a typical family. 

I have done everything on my old Weber from cold-smoking cheese, hot-smoking hams & sausage, low & slow BBQ, hot & fast grilling, you name it.

They are virtually indestructible, and I can get more accessories for it than any other grill on the market.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2016, 01:08:35 PM »
Hey Bob, that pic of the Ram with the keg on the back looks familiar, lol.

I agree with Bama, the Keg would be my sole cooker IF I had to go with just one cooker. Since I have 3 of them, does that mean I get to keep all 3?  ;D ;)
3 kegs? That right there is quite the endorsement! Talk about versatility!

I love the product as is apparent by me owning so many but the company themselves doesn't try very hard to make sure anyone else knows about it. It's frustrating to me. Not so long ago I was an Admin to their site but left that behind. I still love and use my kegs on the regular and due to frustrations with Broil King I have said I would no longer endorse them and recommend the Keg to anyone wanting a Kamado. It's not because it's not an excellent cooker, it's due to me worrying about how long BK will even make them and support them. That alone scares me away from trying to extol its merits onto a potential buyer.

When the Kegs bite the dust, I'll probably move over to Kamado Joe. I would get an Egg but the "eliteness/snobbery" of BGE owners is a big turnoff to me. This is a blanket statement and not meant to offend any of my buds here that own one, you are not the ones I speak of ;) I've found A LOT of people get one as a status symbol and they instantly become bourgeois. Makes me sick to my stomach! I have customers in really nice parts of town that have them and don't even use them but hey, they can say that they're and "Egg Head!" :P

I have to say that getting into outdoor cooking has changed my life for the better. I've met some really fantastic people during my years doing it, both online and in person. The Keg was a HUGE part of that so I can't deny that!
I have that neighbor with the BGE, and he can't boil water
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »
I cannot stand it any longer.  Last I checked "widdle" is not a word.  However what makes sense is the word "whittle" in the subject title put in place by the OP.
???
So what is wrong wit some Colloquialism in this fun forum???

That being said if I had to "widdle" down I would keep my current Grid Iron or Royall Pellet grills.

I always seen to "widdle" down the herd.......and then I waddle in replacements.  ;)   It is a vicious cycle I tell ya  ;D  But it must be done  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2016, 01:21:20 PM »
I cannot stand it any longer.  Last I checked "widdle" is not a word.  However what makes sense is the word "whittle" in the subject title put in place by the OP.
???
So what is wrong wit some Colloquialism in this fun forum???

That being said if I had to "widdle" down I would keep my current Grid Iron or Royall Pellet grills.

I always seen to "widdle" down the herd.......and then I waddle in replacements.  ;)   It is a vicious cycle I tell ya  ;D  But it must be done  8)
So, give me the list of what you've cooked on...curious to see it.  Especially because of your comment that if you had to "widdle" your arsenal down to one cooker... you'd choose to "waddle" along with a PK. That speaks quite highly of the PK.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »
I cook for a smaller crowd these days. The PK is as versatile as the Weber Kettle. It has some accessories for it but nothing like Weber has for its offering.

Previous pits...many were sold for personal (family) reasons.....so "Lets don't and say we did"  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »
I cook for a smaller crowd these days. The PK is as versatile as the Weber Kettle. It has some accessories for it but nothing like Weber has for its offering.

Previous pits...many were sold for personal (family) reasons.....so "Lets don't and say we did"  ;)
I hear ya...my wife thinks I have "issues"...LOL

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »
One things for sure. Looking at all Bobs cooks was NOT a good idea when I'm hungry first thing this morning!    They clearly show the power of the KEG!

Part of it is the keg, the rest of it is just the awesomeness that is "Bob". Plain and simple. ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:59:04 PM by Regular Guy »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2016, 03:07:02 PM »

[/quote]
I have that neighbor with the BGE, and he can't boil water
[/quote]

Pappy What no lobster?  How can that be ;) ;) ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »
[
So what on earth do you still use the Weber gasser for?????

I've used the Weber gasser more this year than the keg.  Mostly for salmon & chicken breast, quick hot & fast summer meals.  Even some grilled veges.

I like this thread.  I've read about a lot of grills/smokers I've never heard of.  A lot more out there than I was aware of. 
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline 70monte

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2016, 05:11:30 PM »
That would be a hard decision for me.  I have the most experience with a Weber Kettle but have never smoked on one and since I also like to smoke, so I'm not sure how well I would do on it.  I don't have much experience yet with my PK grill or my New Good One Open Range to decide if they would be the keeper.  I also really like my PBC because it's very versatile as well.

I guess if I had to just have one, it would be my Weber Performer since I have the most accessories for it and with practice, I'm sure I could get the smoking aspect of it down.

I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range