Author Topic: No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me - Updated!  (Read 13005 times)

Offline hikerman

No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me - Updated!
« Reply #-1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »
Last week I bought a rack of spareribs from Hi-Vee grocery. They looked good, good price too! But when I opened the cryovac pak I was hit with a sulphur-rotten-eggs smell. I called their meat dept. and was told it was safe, just rinse off and procede with my cook! Not in this house!  Rotten is rotten. There was no cook by date on pkg. So I did some looking around. Cryovac pork may be in the sealed bag for 21 to 30 days! That's right 3 weeks to one month!  No more!
   One of the still-family-owned groceries we frequent still has a butcher shop and we do buy meat there often, so went there for ribs. I had a talk with the head butcher about my stinky ribs and he told me to call him whenever i wanted great ribs and i promised him i would, and i left with a nice rack for a nice price. Got spareribs trimmed St Louis-style with flap and breast bone for less than cryopacked! Fresh packed ribs are on the shelf 3 days, not the 21 - 30 days in cryo! One more thought....cryovac'ed ribs always taste hammy too, I guess from sitting in saline for so long.
So you guessed, today is rib day here. Doing them a bit different than I usually do, so we will see how these turn out.
 Smoking naked for 2 hours at 175F then mustard and rub applied at 225F for 2 hours.....to be continued......
Oh the rub is Sparky's Voodoo Rub!  8)

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:29:33 PM by hikerman »

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me
« on: July 09, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »
Watching and learning ;D

Good information on the Cryovac i'll be looking much closer.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pappymn

No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:50:15 PM »
If it doesn't smell right..... It ain't right
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:18:57 PM »
If it doesn't smell right..... It ain't right

I agree Pappy, but apparently corporate America thinks "you just need to rinse it off"!   ???

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »
Nope, when I smell sulpher, I grab the receipt and back I go to the store  >:(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 06:39:49 PM »
You definitely got the wrong answer from your grocery store. I've only had cryovac meat smell bad on opening twice in my life and both stores immediately apologized and replaced. You might want to talk to the store manager him/herself about their customer service.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 06:57:56 PM »
You definitely got the wrong answer from your grocery store. I've only had cryovac meat smell bad on opening twice in my life and both stores immediately apologized and replaced. You might want to talk to the store manager him/herself about their customer service.

I agree Turtle,  I did get my money back but after looking into the time allowances for vacpac meat to me it's scarey! The 21 - 30 days as a norm doesn't take into consideration of how many times that product has been thawed and refrozen. ???
Bottom line is ribs cryovac'ed from wherever taste hammy. Fresh has no hammy flavor and texture is very different as well. Also the idea of no date....hmmm

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 07:10:16 PM »
How does Costco do it? I know with beef they code for one day
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 07:13:29 PM »
I hope you like the voodoo rub.  It's great on ribs but also good on salmon and chicken too.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 07:18:53 PM »
I hope you like the voodoo rub.  It's great on ribs but also good on salmon and chicken too.

Sparky they are looking good.....after 2 hr smoke naked at 175F and 2 hr with Voodoo at 225F....
Thanks my friend we'll try it on salmon next! ;D

Offline hikerman

Re: No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me - Updated!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »
Ok off the grill....
Wow super tender and.juicy! And the Voodoo Rub from Sparky is the real deal! I personally like "big boy ribs" (unfoiled) but these ribs with that rub and mop sauce made these seem sauced!
I will make my ribs like this again and again! ;)
Smoking naked with a wee bit of kosher salt at 175 for 2 hours was key!

Plated with Pappy's cuke dill salad and a barley salad made in the ricecooker. A fine meal!

Offline Pappymn

No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me - Updated!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 11:13:43 PM »
Killer cook. Nice job
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me - Updated!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 11:27:13 PM »
Looks like it all came out great!!! Ribs done to suite me fine!!! I have had pretty good luck with cryovac ribs around here but do not like to use any that have any added solution. Most of the ribs I get from my butcher or Sam's club. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muralboy

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 05:52:45 AM »

I agree Turtle,  I did get my money back but after looking into the time allowances for vacpac meat to me it's scarey! The 21 - 30 days as a norm doesn't take into consideration of how many times that product has been thawed and refrozen. ???
Bottom line is ribs cryovac'ed from wherever taste hammy. Fresh has no hammy flavor and texture is very different as well. Also the idea of no date....hmmm

I've never heard that about the "hammy taste". That's got me thinking...  So here's a question - how do you know if the ribs in the butcher case didn't come from some cryrovac bag?
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline hikerman

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 07:35:56 AM »

I've never heard that about the "hammy taste". That's got me thinking...  So here's a question - how do you know if the ribs in the butcher case didn't come from some cryrovac bag?

MB, I believe that I stated earlier that this is a family-owned grocery, with fully utilized meat/butcher dept. They make/grind their own burger and sausages, all fresh not regionally packaged and shipped to a handy store near you. My first clue is seeing through the window behind the meat counter, beef and/or hog halves hanging from racks. Next would be the color. Look at my second pic. You won't see that color come from cryopaks. Smell certainly would give a hint one way or the other. Then comes taste. Not the slight salty, hammy taste but pork.Fresh pork how it was meant to be. And finally, the texture. The texture seems to vary with fresh, some racks I get are super tender, some are not. Now in cryopaks, it seems to me everything is exactly the same. Hmmmm how is that in an imperfect world?
MB you should seek out fresh ribs and try them versus cryopak'ed ribs. You will be glad you did.