Author Topic: No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me - Updated!  (Read 13006 times)

Offline Hub

Re: No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me - Updated!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 07:41:17 AM »
Most ribs in cryo from the grocery store have brine in the pack to prolong shelf life.  This is what creates the "hammy" flavor under some conditions.  Some stores thaw them before putting them in the bin.  I've gotten "rotten egg" ribs several times from several different stores and I'm guessing they got thawed way, way too long to induce rot inside an air-sealed package.  Harris-Teeter used to be the worst at this but they closed and left town.

If you have a butcher that can get you fresh ribs that must be heavenly.  I've done pretty well with Restaurant Depot.  Croyvac sealed but not thawed.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 08:40:44 AM »
Those ribs look awesome Gene! I need to try that voodoo rub.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline rwalters

No More Cryovac Packed Ribs For Me - Updated!
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 10:13:44 AM »
Ribs look outstanding! This voo-doo rub...is there a recipe you can share, or is this a rub you have to purchase...or should I just hit up ole Sparky?

Regarding ribs...heard something interesting not to long ago. There a an old-school meat market near my home. They've been in business for over 50 years. Great service, great product.  When buying meat from them, it's always fresh, well trimmed, and never "stinky".  Here's what's funny though... found out not to long ago, that they actually buy their ribs directly from our local Costco. Apparently buying from Costco, by the case, is less expensive than buying directly from their supplier. So, they buy from Costco, bring back, jack up the price, and resell. Definitely was surprised to learn this, and definitely won't be buying my ribs from them (rip-off). Personally, I've never had bad/stinky ribs when buying from Costco.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »
Ribs look outstanding! This voo-doo rub...is there a recipe you can share, or is this a rub you have to purchase...or should I just hit up ole Sparky?

Regarding ribs...heard something interesting not to long ago. There a an old-school meat market near my home. They've been in business for over 50 years. Great service, great product.  When buying meat from them, it's always fresh, well trimmed, and never "stinky".  Here's what's funny though... found out not to long ago, that they actually buy their ribs directly from our local Costco. Apparently buying from Costco, by the case, is less expensive than buying directly from their supplier. So, they buy from Costco, bring back, jack up the price, and resell. Definitely was surprised to learn this, and definitely won't be buying my ribs from them (rip-off). Personally, I've never had bad/stinky ribs when buying from Costco.
That story is crazy and kinda sad :(
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 11:42:45 AM »
Question, does this apply to all meat products? I just picked this up and made into steak. Way cheaper than my local butcher.

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 11:55:29 AM »

I like the Best Before Date but I do not remember if there is a Best Used Before date on the ones from Sams or the Military Commissary.
Anyone know?
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 11:59:13 AM »
PS, forgot to mention the second ribs looks just fine.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline hikerman

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 12:00:57 PM »
I think Hub has brought up a good point. In that not ALL cryovac'ed meat is in a solution which gives longer refrigerated shelf life. If a cut of meat is cryovac'ed and then froze, and kept froze until YOU decide when to thaw, is far superior to meats frozen and thawed and some refrozen and rethawed. The saline solution and the handling or lack of is thr problem, not the fact that it was vac sealed!

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
Hey Gene, looks like you made the right call . . . those ribs look d@mn tasty ! ! !

I agree that you made the right decision.  To the best of my knowledge, all the ribs I’ve bought had Use By dates.  But I also assume that they came into the store frozen, then were weighed and priced, so who knows when they were actually packed.

I've never heard that about the "hammy taste". That's got me thinking...  So here's a question - how do you know if the ribs in the butcher case didn't come from some cryrovac bag?

This past January, Publix had St. Louis on sale for $1.99 lb.  When I went in to pick up two dozen racks, I noticed that they were store wrapped.  When I told the meat guy what I wanted, he went into the back and brought out a case.  I figured they were grouped in either threes or sixes and that they opened them up to sell as singles.  Much to my surprise, the racks were individually cryovacced, then opened up, and then re-wrapped at the store.

Not sayin’ they were trying to get one over . . . .

If you have a butcher that can get you fresh ribs that must be heavenly.  I've done pretty well with Restaurant Depot.  Croyvac sealed but not thawed.

Hub

Agree with the Depot!  I just did four racks for our Annual 4th of July Family Get-together and they came out great.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 03:43:32 PM »
Hey Gene, looks like you made the right call . . . those ribs look d@mn tasty ! ! !

I agree that you made the right decision.  To the best of my knowledge, all the ribs I’ve bought had Use By dates.  But I also assume that they came into the store frozen, then were weighed and priced, so who knows when they were actually packed.

I've never heard that about the "hammy taste". That's got me thinking...  So here's a question - how do you know if the ribs in the butcher case didn't come from some cryrovac bag?

This past January, Publix had St. Louis on sale for $1.99 lb.  When I went in to pick up two dozen racks, I noticed that they were store wrapped.  When I told the meat guy what I wanted, he went into the back and brought out a case.  I figured they were grouped in either threes or sixes and that they opened them up to sell as singles.  Much to my surprise, the racks were individually cryovacced, then opened up, and then re-wrapped at the store.

Not sayin’ they were trying to get one over . . . .

Hub

Agree with the Depot!  I just did four racks for our Annual 4th of July Family Get-together and they came out great.

BD

Thanks Bill!
I hope I didn't come across as snooty but my point is that all ribs are not created equal. Fresh IMHO is always best, but then as I have learned there are types of cyropak'ed meats to avoid if possible.  Those with solution to prolong shelf life. And of course always best to buy cyropaks frozen.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 03:47:52 PM »
Sweetie reminding me that last year she bought two rack of Cryovac Ribs from Kroger and we had to return them because they smelled like sulfur.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »
Wonder if a guy can walk into Costco and ask for frozen ribs? I have never had any issue with their meat as I know they turn it over very quickly.

My local butcher had individually fresh cryopacked Duroc ribs, but they were $6.99 a pound
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »
I have had a few bad batches of cryovac meat but caught them because the packages had expanded before I even opened for the smell test.

They last longer because they have almost no oxygen in the package and a air tight seal.

If the meat is loose in the package then don't even buy it. Should have a nice tight fit to the meat.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »
I have had a few bad batches of cryovac meat but caught them because the packages had expanded before I even opened for the smell test.

They last longer because they have almost no oxygen in the package and a air tight seal.

If the meat is loose in the package then don't even buy it. Should have a nice tight fit to the meat.

Mike some cryopaks are juiced and some are just cryropak'ed. My wife called from Kroger earlier, wanted to know how many racks to get as they were $1.59/lb. The sign said Previously Frozen.
She was shocked when I told her ...none!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 12:24:29 AM »
Last week I bought a rack of spareribs from Hi-Vee grocery. They looked good, good price too! But when I opened the cryovac pak I was hit with a sulphur-rotten-eggs smell. I called their meat dept. and was told it was safe, just rinse off and procede with my cook!

The first time this happened to me I was concerned too, but your grocer was actually correct in what they told you.  The USDA has a write-up I read about this a few years back, and I am trying to find it.

The sulfur smell from cryovacced meat, especially bone-in pork, is caused from sulfur compounds in the bones and bone dust.  The lack of oxygen and gasses sometimes added when cryovaccing can cause these sulfur compounds to concentrate.  You cut the package open and WHAM, it hits you in the face!

As long as the meat still looks nice and pink and still firm, rinse it off, pat it dry, and let it bloom in the air for a bit and the smell should dissipate.

If you smell a rotten smell other than sulfur, then you need to return the meat.

I've gotten ribs and pork shoulder cryovacced with this smell and they have always been fine after a rinse.

This is where Kevin (stalag) should chime in!  He is an expert on this stuff.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:37:35 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68