Author Topic: Got a New French Press Today  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Got a New French Press Today
« Reply #-1 on: July 14, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »
July 14 2016

Tee you might think about posting a disclaimer “ Even though the site is free, frequent viewing will probably cost you money”!

What it has cost me, Lodge carbon steel skillets, a De Buyer pan, a Camp Chef gas burner and a steel griddle for it, a Weber Jumbo Joe, a Lodge CI Hibachi, several pieces of Lodge CI cookware, a bunch of outdoor cooking accessories and now a new French press I got today from Amazon.

I used a French press and ground my own coffee for a long time then my DIL got me hooked on a Keurig using Newman’s Own K-cups. Then all in here started discussing cold brewed coffee. I got my French press out and after a couple of batches I was hooked on it. I didn’t have my bur grinder anymore and the best coffee I found so far, that I liked, was Starbucks Café Verona.

Then came Amazon prime day and the wife found a Mila French Press that also came with a milk frother she thought I might like that was $25. I said no but after looking at it I ordered it and received it today. It’s a little larger than my old Bodum and looks made a little better. I got a batch of cold brew on and will try out the milk frother tomorrow.

I almost ordered the 7 in 1 cooker all were talking about but I was stubborn! It was a good buy and now wish I had got one! I just saw where my Prime Day buy is still what I paid for it so didn't get the bargain I thought! :)

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

Re: Got a New French Press Today
« on: July 14, 2016, 02:22:15 PM »
Nice buy Don! I occasionally use my French press but not so much anymore,  because I prefer the cold-brewed. But before I got hooked on cold-brewed,  the French press is what I used 100% of the time.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »
Nice sized French press Don!

I am loving my OXO for cold brewing. Have been drinking cold brew ever since and not looked back!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »
Nice buy Don! I occasionally use my French press but not so much anymore,  because I prefer the cold-brewed. But before I got hooked on cold-brewed,  the French press is what I used 100% of the time.
Gene I use the French press for making cold brewed. Starbucks used a press to make there's & said using a paper filter removes some essential oils that benefit the taste. They even sell a French Press. Don't know if that's true or not. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:14:31 PM »
Don in the OXO the paper filter is optional. My next batch I will omit the paper filter and see what difference in taste it makes.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »
Don in the OXO the paper filter is optional. My next batch I will omit the paper filter and see what difference in taste it makes.
That will be good to get your thoughts on this Mike! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:02:57 PM »
Sorry Don I missed that! ;)

And as for the paper filter, my guess is a bit more of the oil will be caught with the paper. And maybe a little less flavor. Now i say that in reference to my system that has a cloth filter as well. I would think the paper to be a finer mesh than the cloth filter. :-\

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 01:53:31 PM »
That will be good to get your thoughts on this Mike! Don

So I have done a full cold brew just using the OXO steel mesh filter. I used Trader Joe's dark roast this time. You can actually see the oils on the surface at an angle under light. It has a much more deep flavor IMHO. I am liking it. You do get a small amount of sediment but it is negligible.

The paper filters do catch the oils as Starbucks stated to you Don. After brewing/draining the filters are dark. They are filters that are close to paper thin so I was surprised how much oils are stripped away.

I think I will be brewing without the filters for now on...
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:07:13 PM »
I kinda thought the flavor would be more pronounced by not using paper filters. I can see where it may be a quicker cleanup with paper, but really how hard is it?
I have never used anything other than the Filtron's cloth filter. And when done brewing it gets dumped into our composter. Don, if you have any trouble with those despicable cats using your garden as their litter box, start dumping used coffee grounds along your garden. Cats hate coffee and will stay away! 8)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 02:11:25 PM »
Nice sized French press Don!

I am loving my OXO for cold brewing. Have been drinking cold brew ever since and not looked back!

Me too.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
I kinda thought the flavor would be more pronounced by not using paper filters. I can see where it may be a quicker cleanup with paper, but really how hard is it?
I have never used anything other than the Filtron's cloth filter. And when done brewing it gets dumped into our composter. Don, if you have any trouble with those despicable cats using your garden as their litter box, start dumping used coffee grounds along your garden. Cats hate coffee and will stay away! 8)

With the OXO clean up is the same with or without the paper filter. The paper filter is optional.

Obviously really fine sediments will still come through but I am liking the more robust flavor I get without a paper filter.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC