Author Topic: Time for you all to be judges!! UPDATED - Chime In!  (Read 6799 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Time for you all to be judges!! UPDATED - Chime In!
« Reply #-1 on: August 27, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »
Yep, I am going to include y'all in my latest test. Test? What test you ask? THIS test :

I am going to take 2 racks of baby backs, cut them in half and cook each half slab on a different smoker. Why? Because I can :)

I like to do these tests to see what cooker makes the best ribs, chicken, butts, brisket, so forth and so on. Since the KBQ is the new kid, time to get some smoke rolling and let it show what it can do! These are always fun for me but there can only be one winner. Everybody that likes that particular smoker will be happy, the ones that don't have been known to give me grief over it, so if you're one of those types I'll ask that you forgo this little test. For those of you onboard, I am going to have you chime in with your pick before I post which is which. Now, keep in mind you're going by pictures ONLY since you won't get to feel, smell and taste the ribs but at least you get to have somewhat of a feeling of involvement! Should be fun!

I will be cooking the ribs tomorrow and will update when I can! Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:20:04 PM by Regular Guy »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: Time for you all to be judges!!
« on: August 27, 2016, 03:18:22 PM »
Looking forward to the results Jason.  I'd like to get another smoker, really like the KBQ but I really like the convenience of a pellet pooper.  I know you like ribs on the Traeger, interested to see the KBQ results. 
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 03:24:02 PM »
Looking forward to the results Jason.  I'd like to get another smoker, really like the KBQ but I really like the convenience of a pellet pooper.  I know you like ribs on the Traeger, interested to see the KBQ results.

Yep, I do love Traeger ribs! As a matter of fact, I use it for ABTs, Moinks, Ribs and Chicken (mostly wings). That has been its strong suit. I have done a rib challenge before and the SI won so it'll be neat to see where the chips fall this round. I will be using TQ on the SI ribs so that it will have a (faux) smoke ring so it'll not be so easy to tell apart from the others. They all will be smoked using the same wood, close as I can get to the same temp and time. None will be sauced. Dry rub only. May the best RIB win, lol.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline DWard51

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »
This should be interesting.  I really want to hear about the results with the KBQ!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:40:17 PM »
Okay I will play BUT it's not the smoker it's the cook! and I am sure you know that. But my 2 cents worth it is going to be the KBQ and I don't own one.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »
I am pretty sure that the KBQ will be the taste champ. I am not biased and do not stick to one cooker for everything. Someday I will get my own KBQ.

But the cooker is not the main difference it is the person doing the cooking. Methods , timings, temps, rubs, quality of protein etc all play a factor.

With that being said I look forward to this contest :)

You are going to find that the members of this forum do not act like what you are used at other forums RG
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 04:57:36 PM »
Gotta have to say KBQ. You just can't beat clean blue smoke from a wood split fire...........that is the way it has always supposed to be  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
Yeah, I am betting KBQ but that's the beauty of this. Having a "Test Panel" so to speak with my Wife and Son not knowing which is which and judging on taste, tenderness and appearance will be fun. I will even get to play along as I'll have them on plates with the number below the plate so my wife can test ME with it as well. You guys get to see pictures, which may show enough to have a preference. The same method, rub,etc.. will be used on all to be AS CLOSE to equal as I can get it.

Me cooking it is a factor, but I've done a few cooks in my time so with all things being equal there, it comes down to the device itself. We shall see!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 05:46:37 PM »
I figure you know your pits and you've been to the rodeo many times with them. I think this will come down to the cooker and heat/smoke source.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
I think this can best be decided at the Cookout with Bremer at the end of next month.

Bring it on!
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 10:02:59 PM »
It will be interesting to see, not always possible to make each one identical , especially when using different types of cookers. You should expect different results just based on temps alone. Tried this two weekend ago with 9 racks of ribs on two different cookers and the time was way different. (PBC versus Rec Tec Mini) They both ended up fine but the point is that each cooker has its own temp that it regulates at which cooks the best in this case there was a two hour difference from when they were done. All turned out fine but you should expect similar results..  :) just Sayin
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 10:18:55 PM »
I think they'll all cook about the same.  I've done this test before,  just wanted to try it again now that the Karubecue is here. I'm still deciding on whether to wrap or not. Could be a gametime decision.

Offline RG

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 08:00:42 AM »
Getting closer to go time! ;)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 10:42:46 AM »
I have to agree that with the same cook prepping the ribs the same way for all four smokers, that this will come down to the smoker,  not the cook.
Since all four smokers use some sort of temp controller, even the temp becomes part of the control.
The variable is the fuel source of each smoker and how the heat and smoke is presented to food.
stick burner, pellet pooper, electric, lump charcoal

I'm pretty sure which ones are going to be first and last, the middle two will be a toss up.
I vote for not wrapping, it can introduce a variable.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »
I am with Bamabob, don't wrap  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven