Author Topic: Time for you all to be judges!! UPDATED - Chime In!  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
Re: Time for you all to be judges!! UPDATED - Chime In!
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 12:58:05 AM »
Nice test RG but your really making this hard for me to take the time to think bout the KBQ before I pull the trigger! I'm calling tomorrow to ask him ?'s bout the KBQ.
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2016, 07:41:26 AM »
I'm just a backyard jack and after all the posts I couldn't remember which colors matched the numbers.  That being said and going by pictures only, I liked the looks of #1 and #3.  I have no idea which cookers they go with - they just LOOKED better to me.

AND...I'm with you RG - I'm a rib-wrapper, too.  I have cooked some pretty good ribs without wrapping, but much prefer the ones I wrap.
Aaron Franklin gave me this tip:  when they get to the color you want, they have probably smoked enough.  You can wrap 'em to keep from taking on excessive smoke.
As what's-his-name said, though, you can finish 'em in the oven if you'd like, since they won't be smokin'  any longer.  I still finish 'em in the smoker, then take' em out of the foil to sauce and finish unwrapped.

But what do I know?  I'm just a backyard jack. . 
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 07:54:17 AM »
Surprised to see the keg get a first and a second.
No surprise to see the KBQ get two firsts.
What do you and Steph think was the main thing that made the KBQ superior?
You feel it is worth the time to tend it every half hour?
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 08:08:18 AM »
Cooking on a stick burner is partly a labor of love!
But it doesn't Have to be a ordeal  ::)
Don't have it as your only cooker!
Use it when you've got the time & look at the time spent as recreation.
It helps to have Jimmy Buffet on the radio, COLD ADULT BEVERAGES, & a dog on the deck to play fetch with you 8)
You don't have to finish the cook on the stick burner.
Once you foil you can finish on a gasser.

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 08:27:50 AM »
I like the look of the Traeger cooked ribs best. Look moist and tender and probably would be cooked the earliest too.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 09:37:54 AM »

Bob, in person the Keg had the worst color. I struggle with getting good color on kegged ribs. Don't know why but the rub took a LONG time to start to finally "melt" and give some color. All ribs were flipped mid cook to even color and doneness, even in the KBQ. I too was surprised that the Keg did as well as it did taste wise. What made the KBQ superior? Tenderness, moistness and the smoke flavor was dead on. Yes, I don't mind tending to the fire so it's worth it IF I have the time to tend to it. The way I have it set up is right beside my outdoor cooking area. They recommend not cooking in a covered area so I put it just on the other side of my island, behind the Keg 2000. I did cook the brisket under the deck though for fear of rain and it was fine. Nothing flammable there, just makes it smoky as all get out. Anyhoo, what I do is get it rolling, set my temp, put meat in, hook a maverick up to monitor pit temp and go inside the basement and sit in the recliner and watch History Channel. 30-45 minutes later, go out, stir the coal bed a little, add wood, go sit back down 15 steps away in the AC and drink a Landshark Lager and continue watching History Channel on the projection screen. Not a bad thing at all. Steph and I sat out by the grills a while yesterday, I was showing her how the KBQ worked. Her face was buried in her phone as usual so really, no big deal to tend a fire when you're doing nothing anyway :)

These ribs were VERY meaty so I was able to cook to temp on all of them, had enough meat to stay away from bone and get a good temp reading. They were all cooked to a minimum of 196° with some at or over 200° in spots! The reason I personally like to wrap is you always get tenderness, great pull back. None of these ribs had great pull back on the bones. Another reason I like to wrap is to add flavor. I don't think wrapping decreases flavor, I think it ADDS to it, especially the way I do it (Johnny Trigg  method). I like my ribs sweet and savory, Steph likes hers savory only. When I do ribs for me, I don't worry about temperature because I know wrapping is going to get me where I want to be so I do a 3-2-1 method more or less. I smoke the ribs until I get the color I want, wrap them Trigg style, back on the smoker (since it's already going, no need to put in oven or another grill) and let it ride for 2 hours. Drain foil packet, ribs back on grate for 30 minutes to dry out a little and then if I REALLY want to make them great, I do fire up the gasser and get it hot and throw the ribs on there to firm them up and then add my sauce and let it get a little caramelization going on. A little char adds to the flavor.

I like the look of the Traeger cooked ribs best. Look moist and tender and probably would be cooked the earliest too.
The Traeger ribs were nice, I still think people are missing out on ribs cooked on pellet grills. They say there is no smoke on a pellet pooper. Tell that to the almost ALL pink meat that came off that Traeger ;) That's a smoke ring! I know it's not all smoke related but it looks the part.

I've had people (you know who you are, lol) basically tell me that they don't like the KBQ, think it costs too much, doesn't look well made, so forth and so on. They're friends of mine and I guess they're just shooting straight with me and that's okay. Mind you they've never used it or tasted the food from it, just making assumptions. That's fine and dandy if you feel that way. It's your opinion. I like it. It makes great food, I don't mind tending to it. Would I like to have gotten it cheaper? Yes. Truthfully, I could see him knocking about $300-$500 off of the price and that would be a good deal but that's not going to happen. I wanted it, I paid for it, it's here and I am going to use it and probably use it a LOT ;)

My point is, don't knock it til you tried it. If this machine was garbage, I'd tell y'all! Granted, it would be MY opinion, yours could be different. I cooked on many grills and smokers and I do feel that I know when something works well and when it doesn't, for ME. The PBC is an example. People raved about it, I bought one. It's okay, not great to ME. I sold it. No biggie. There is no one size fits all smoker/cooker. The KBQ is not for everybody. It makes the best food I've ever had but again, it's subjective. You buy what you like and enjoy it. I am NOT pushing an agenda, not trying to tell y'all what to buy. That's your decision to make with YOUR money!

I'm hear to learn and spread knowledge where I can, that's why I do these tests. I figure a fair amount of you own 1 or more of the same cookers I have and might be interested to see how it compares to one that maybe YOU want to buy. It's a kind of BBQ consumer reports if you will :) So, if y'all like to see these types of things, maybe I'll do more. If not, then I'm good with that too. It's BBQ, supposed to be fun! I'm having fun, that's all I can say :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 10:20:23 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Jason.  I agree, it's what each individual likes.  I'd love to have a KBQ, and a Rec-Tec or Traeger but the boss says for just the two of us the keg does just fine.  Hard to argue with that.

I do ribs both ways, the cook I did a couple of weeks ago I wrapped one and let the other ride.  They were both good.  I'll often mix things up to try different things so I don't get tired of the same ole', same ole'.
I think tending a stick burner would make for a relaxing day.  Just not sure I would have many days free right now to do it much.  I guess I'll just stick with the keg for now.   :(  Thinking about retiring next year, maybe a KBQ could be my retirement gift!   ;)
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
Bob, for years I didn't want to tend a fire. I liked the set it and forget it way. I LOVED the fact that the Keg could work for me while I was asleep and that it was so fuel efficient. That lead me to be even lazier with the Smokin-It but over time the tinkerer in me wanted to go back to the harder way. I have never had a TRUE 100% stick burner. I've had an offset smoker but it was lump charcoal fueled with wood added for smoke, just like the Keg just nowhere near as efficient. When I saw the KBQ years ago I was intrigued but still stuck with the tried and true ease of the Keg, Traeger and SI. That all changed once I ate Franklin BBQ. I KNEW the only way to have THAT type of food was with wood and ONLY wood.

I could've gotten another pellet grill, Yoder or what have you but I didn't want pellets, I wanted sticks. I also didn't want a monstrosity taking up room so I chose a cabinet style. The deal closer was that it maintains temps automatically unlike other stick burners and it lets you control the smoker profile AND due to drawing the smoke through the fire (if using the clean poppet) you get clean, pure smoke and even the top poppet (dirty smoke above fire) is cleaner than any other smoker I've used. You can use mesquite on this thing with no worries! Use all you want. The smoke on this tastes unlike anything I've eaten off of the SI, Traeger, Keg, etc...It's unique.

I think that sitting around it is enjoyable, adult beverage in hand, smelling that smoke roll, hearing the wood crackle and pop. It's blissful! When the cool air rolls in soon, it'll be even better. Right now, I can only stand to be around it for so long in 90°+ heat, lol. It would be an awesome retirement gift for yourself. If you feed Pat a brisket off of that thing, she'll say no more about buying it, I promise you that! It quietened Steph down considerably (there is no total mute setting with her, but you already know that, lol!)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2016, 01:13:12 PM »
I'm glad to see comparisons like you've done here.  Even though I don't have KBQ or a pelletizer or a keg, I still enjoy seeing what other folks are doing.

Keep 'em comin'...

j s...
<><

Offline RG

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »
I'm glad to see comparisons like you've done here.  Even though I don't have KBQ or a pelletizer or a keg, I still enjoy seeing what other folks are doing.

Keep 'em comin'...

j s...

Thanks Jack, I am sure there will be more of these at some point!

Offline RAD

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »
I have looked this over several times. For crust I like #3 and for rib look I like #4. That being said, not a single one of them would have made it out alive, 1, 2, 3, or 4.  :P
Love to cook and eat

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 11:58:15 PM »
Haven't looked at the rest of the thread yet before I guess. I say the winner is the yellow tooth pick and they were done on the KBQ. Time to go back and read.......
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 12:15:18 AM »
Damn, looks like I got it wrong! Interesting experiment and good info. It's true about cooking with wood and real smoke, there's no replacement! I've been BBQ'n Santa Maria style most of my BBQ life and there is just nothing else like it. That's a big part of why I'm having a hard time deciding on another cooker, but they all have a purpose and can give great results.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
here is a pic of our Santa Maria style grill:

<><

Offline DWard51

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2016, 11:17:43 AM »
I'm a little late to the party as I've been working overtime and just had not been able to cruse the forums this week.   But prior to reading the results, my pick would have been green then yellow (KBQ then Traeger), so without the benefit of the all important taste test, it looks like I was in line with the judges.

And Jaxon that Rivergrille Asador looks great. I've always wanted a Santa Maria style grill, but most of the ones I had seen were custom and pricey.  Good to see a more moderate priced one (even if no one around me stocks it).