Author Topic: My first brisket - The results are in  (Read 3703 times)

Offline 70monte

Re: My first brisket - The results are in
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 12:05:28 AM »
Last Friday I cooked my first Brisket on my Good One Open Range but it was not my first Brisket cook.  I've cooked Brisket three other times on my WSM.  Anyway, I think mine was over done because the flat basically fell apart when we tried to slice it.  I did the probe test at about 195 but it didn't slide in like butter so I didn't take it off until it hit about 203.  Mine cooked for 14 1/2 hours.  I then wrapped it in foil and a towel and put it in a dry cooler where it say for about 2 1/2 hours.  My brisket was a full packer that originally weighed over 16 lbs but was a little over 12 lbs when trimmed.

It was pretty tender with good flavor so everyone seemed to like it anyway.

The thermometer on my Open Range was not even close to what my Maverick 732 said.  In some cases it was 30 degrees off on the higher side.  Mine cooked from 200 degrees when the temps dropped because I needed more fuel to about 270.  It mostly stayed in the 230-240 range during the cook.

I did go through a full bag and then a little of another bag of the Good One lump charcoal which I thought was a little excessive.  I may go back to Kingsford briquettes next time.

Anyway, your brisket looks like it turned out better than mine did.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline Subvet

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »
Last Friday I cooked my first Brisket on my Good One Open Range but it was not my first Brisket cook.  I've cooked Brisket three other times on my WSM.  Anyway, I think mine was over done because the flat basically fell apart when we tried to slice it.  I did the probe test at about 195 but it didn't slide in like butter so I didn't take it off until it hit about 203.  Mine cooked for 14 1/2 hours.  I then wrapped it in foil and a towel and put it in a dry cooler where it say for about 2 1/2 hours.  My brisket was a full packer that originally weighed over 16 lbs but was a little over 12 lbs when trimmed.

It was pretty tender with good flavor so everyone seemed to like it anyway.

The thermometer on my Open Range was not even close to what my Maverick 732 said.  In some cases it was 30 degrees off on the higher side.  Mine cooked from 200 degrees when the temps dropped because I needed more fuel to about 270.  It mostly stayed in the 230-240 range during the cook.

I did go through a full bag and then a little of another bag of the Good One lump charcoal which I thought was a little excessive.  I may go back to Kingsford briquettes next time.

Anyway, your brisket looks like it turned out better than mine did.

Wayne

My brisket was about 10 lbs trimmed and was ready at 6 hours and then in the cooler for 1.5 hours. I think I should have left it on for another hour or so but I was going by the IT hitting 203 and the probe test was okay in my mind. But this was my first brisket ever so I really didn't have the feel for how 'buttery' it should feel. I think it could have been a little softer but it was tender and juicy so can't complain if I don't know what to complain about.  :)

That sounds like a lot of charcoal to me but maybe not for the length of time you had the smoker going. I also used the Good One lump and it took about 3/4 of a sack. When I shut it down there was still some left in there unburned. I had the firebox spinners open about 1/8" and the smoke box spinner about 1/4"

Thank for the heads up on the inaccuracy of the built-in temp gauge. Mine read 250 most of the time but who knows what it actually was? Next time I'm going to use my ChefAlarm to check it.
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline 70monte

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 07:04:32 PM »
I forgot to mention I had all my spinners open 1 1/2 turns which I'm not sure how much that is in inches.  The flavor of mine was very good but it just fell apart.  I did not foil mine at any point during the cook, just afterward.  I also did not inject this one like I did on the others I have done.  I was basically cooking it like Chris Marks does who represents the Good One smokers.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline Subvet

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 07:25:04 PM »
I forgot to mention I had all my spinners open 1 1/2 turns which I'm not sure how much that is in inches.  The flavor of mine was very good but it just fell apart.  I did not foil mine at any point during the cook, just afterward.  I also did not inject this one like I did on the others I have done.  I was basically cooking it like Chris Marks does who represents the Good One smokers.

Wayne

1 1/2 turns is a tad over 1/8th inch on mine.
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill