Author Topic: South Carolina Hash  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Pappymn

South Carolina Hash
« Reply #-1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:42:46 PM »
Watching Andrew Zimmer doing a BBQ trail. Several places had South Carolina Hash, and it is not what I think of when I think of Hash.

Any love here for it?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: South Carolina Hash
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
Going to have to google that up. Sounds interesting
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:51:48 PM »
OH YEAH!!!!!

Whenever I am in the Midlands of SC ( around Lexington, or Columbia ) it is a common menu item at BBQ shacks - and I alway have to get some. Maurice's BBQ is a small chain in that area that really does a good job with it.

Like it a lot.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:19:32 PM »
I have tasted it once.  Not too bad at all.  I've heard some "strange" stories about how it is made.  Apparently "old school SC hash" might not get past the FDA.  I heard these stories after I tasted it.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:36:01 AM »
Watching Andrew Zimmer doing a BBQ trail. Several places had South Carolina Hash, and it is not what I think of when I think of Hash.

Any love here for it?
I saw that show too...I might try it once, but kinda scary looking to me.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
Many years ago, I was at a local BBQ joint in Johnston, Georgia.  It was one of those places that you ordered and picked up your food at a counter, and sat on community tables.  All food came with part of a loaf of sliced white bread.  They made their hash outside in a large black cast iron pot not unlike a kettle for "witches brew".  They had a wood fire to cook it slowly and used a wooden paddle to stir it up.  Inside they served it over rice.  Had a lot of stuff in it but it was sure good; brings back memories.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 10:57:52 AM »
Many years ago, I was at a local BBQ joint in Johnston, Georgia.  It was one of those places that you ordered and picked up your food at a counter, and sat on community tables.  All food came with part of a loaf of sliced white bread.  They made their hash outside in a large black cast iron pot not unlike a kettle for "witches brew".  They had a wood fire to cook it slowly and used a wooden paddle to stir it up.  Inside they served it over rice.  Had a lot of stuff in it but it was sure good; brings back memories.

A nearby town to us has a "Burgoo" festival in the summer. Burgoo was traditionally a frontier-style stew consisting of meat (originally game) and various vegetables.  It is slow cooked in cauldrons over a wood fire. This cooking takes 24 - 36 hours and is stirred with canoe paddle look alikes. But what I will add is many years ago a girlfriends mom , who was on the commitee for the BurgooFest voluteered our services to stir the stew overnight. We saw road kill be tossed into the vat! The locals didn't used to partake of this.....wisely.  ???

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »
Just looked at a recipe and I don't think it's for me.  Sort of like I used to eat Scrapple, but I just can't do it now.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 06:25:59 PM »
Jim'n Nick's, Bar-B-Que in Bluffton, SC on Fording Island Road has some terrific Hash to go with it's excellent Que.
I asked what was in it and was told "what do you care as long as it taste good" with a smile.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
Jim'n Nick's, Bar-B-Que in Bluffton, SC on Fording Island Road has some terrific Hash to go with it's excellent Que.
I asked what was in it and was told "what do you care as long as it taste good" with a smile.

I can tell you this...I have watched the making of 'hash...And - if you are sensitive on the subject of organ meats...don't eat it. Liver, tongue, ....and few parts in descending order  on the scale of " foods least likely to be consumed in a country with a 1st World economy" are in a good hash.

Hash is exactly what Andrew Zimmer would salivate over. Yeah...I love it too. But - full disclosure - I will eat almost anything. I said ALMOST...... ;) ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »

I can tell you this...I have watched the making of 'hash...And - if you are sensitive on the subject of organ meats...don't eat it. Liver, tongue, ....and few parts in descending order  on the scale of " foods least likely to be consumed in a country with a 1st World economy" are in a good hash.

Hash is exactly what Andrew Zimmer would salivate over. Yeah...I love it too. But - full disclosure - I will eat almost anything. I said ALMOST...... ;) ;D
The pleasant lovely elderly lady did say it was everything not at the Walmart meat counter.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 10:17:09 PM »

The pleasant lovely elderly lady did say it was everything not at the Walmart meat counter.

And...when they say "everything but the oink...they are NOT just whistlin' Dixie... ;) :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
 ;D

And...when they say "everything but the oink...they are NOT just whistlin' Dixie... ;) :D

;D ;D ;D ;D
Art

The Big Easy

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 06:33:26 AM »
I've had the honor of judging hash competitions in South Carolina and enjoyed them immensely.  Like some others who have posted here I had to ditch my preconception based on what I call "hash" (breakfast side made with diced corned beef, potatoes and onions) and embrace a new form using the same label. 

The samples I got to judge were all very savory and meaty but the similarities ended there.  Spicing can go in several directions.  Consistency (mouth feel) of the results can differ, too.  Since this is a non-standard entry, there are no parameters set for judging it and we judged it simply by what we liked best (not a valid test in the four standard meat category competition).  My highest scores went to the entries that were on the thicker side, texture wise and had a lot of flavor depth (not just one overriding thing in the flavor profile).  Good stuff!  I hope to get to judge it again soon.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline WMB-DMB

• My father had a PK Grill starting in 1960.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »

BUT O SO GOOD OVER HOT RICE!!!
SC Native living in Eastern NC for the past 22 years.  My family had houses on Lake Murry SC that we sent summers at.  My father had a PK Grill starting in 1960. Now have a TEC Gas grill.  I really wanted something for indirect/slow cooking. 

Have new PK Grill because Father knew best.