Author Topic: To Yoder or not to Yoder....that is my question.  (Read 14471 times)

Offline FreeDivr

To Yoder or not to Yoder....that is my question.
« Reply #-1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:43:21 PM »
Ok it's time for this newbies first forum post! As I stated in my intro/bio yesterday I am a recent convert from gas to charcoal (Weber). I have been having a blast since last summer, grilling and smoking a lot. All was well within the kingdom until about a month ago....

I was up at 430 a.m. for my first brisket attempt. Coffee and coals were hot, brisket properly handled and into a smoke filled sauna by 5 a.m. The next fourteen hours were filled with mixed emotion, anxiety, and truthfully a good amount of cold brewskies. The feast was nothing less than spectacular but it came with an ugly side. It began to grow slowly like a cancer in my mind; maybe, just maybe, I need a bigger smoker??? Now I kept the thoughts suppressed, no way I needed to spend more money on bbq. But like any good addict I slowly found reasons to justify my desire. Internet searching quietly in the night or perhaps in the recesses of the bathroom I'd slowly feed my addiction. Review after review, video after video....this must happen!

Eventually my inner bbq devil found a way to approach the subject with the boss lady. I turn 40 this year and obviously I need/want/deserve a wonderful gift right? Wouldn't she want me to have the ability to set up the smoker in the evening, set a temp, then retire to the bedroom for a good nights slumber with no concern over the delicious morsel I was preparing. That's it! A pellet smoker was gonna be the answer and the request. Lets just say the conversation was met with a resounding amount of approval. "Absolutely honey" was the reply! Well shoot for the moon at this point, I tell her that I really like the looks of this Yoder ys640 smoker (big price tag but lets shoot for the Porsche and negotiate to an Accord). Get whatever makes you smile and cranks out good food all summer was the reply. WOW, successful in the pre approval process I am now in a quandary, thus my long winded post and question...

I need thoughts/comments/advice on the Yoder ys640. I also looked at the Rec Tec 680 which has a much better price tag but the build quality looks less than the Yoder. I like the larger hopper on the Rec Tec but I just keep going back to the Yoder (lets not forget that ultra sweet competition cart, she said anything right?) LOL. Yoder's upper shelf looks a lot better as well. I have time to decide so I really want to make a good decision. I will be using my purchase primarily for smoking. Specifically because I love the idea of setting a temp and not having to mess with vents, charcoal etc. I will use the Weber for burgers/dogs or searing steaks. So I am looking at this for ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, things like that. I want good quality, longevity and ease of use. I know there are many opinions and many smokers, but I need some help from folks who know.

Cheers,
Matt
Sit long, talk much, laugh often!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: To Yoder or not to Yoder....that is my question.
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:02:16 PM »
Matt - you are thinking about your purchase rather than emoting....that is a good thing!  ;) :D

I have owned a Yoder YS640 for a few years, and I sold it because of 2 things:
1. pellet consumption at temps above the "smoking" range became outrageous. TO the point of 5+ pounds per hour when I had it turned up to 600F. It would never really reach 600F....575F was doable.
2. The firmware issues....at las count Yoder was on update number 36 I think. And the effort required to update the controller is a P.I.A. as well as a waiting period for them to send you the update via a plug in module. Then you have to mail the module back.
Now - it is built like a tank. No question. But - that really did not benefit me. And - do not fall into eh marketing ploy of "thicker steel = better heat retention. It does not, and the evidence is clear. If it did...WHY would the pit require 5 lbs. an hour fuel? ;).
As well - the physics of steel being a good conductor does not refer only to electricity...it refers to heat transfer as well. So - thinner metal is not necessarily a negative. Too thin and one has other concerns about durability, and warpage.

I currently own a Rec Tec - and like it. It is pretty solid. Attractive - if you like the color. It works. I like the big hoper ( 40 lb. capacity) And the interior light when I remember to clean it between cooks ::) ;D. Built in China.

But - I hope I can convince you to look at a MAK. either the 1 or 2 Star General. ALL American made...and absolutely eh best factory controller I have seen yet - in terms of accuracy, features, reliability - and accessories. Even an option to add the pit to your WiFi network and control it from ANYWHERE in the world that you have internet. MAK does not even bu fasteners from China.
You will never outgrow the MAK - in terms of capabilities, and they support their product owners from the very first units on. I have one of the very first run - and MAK provides an up-grade path for all of the older MAKS - to bring them to current features and accessories - if you want to.
Buy once - cry once. Buy less...and you will be re-buying in few years . Maybe a couple....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »
I was in the same dilemma as you. I looked at the Yoder, Rec Tec and the Blaz'n Grill Works. After at least a month of going back and forth I decided on the Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron. I did a full review of this pellet cooker here: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=7160.0

Pellet grills have come a long way since the first Traegers and the competition is keen. What it really boils down to is ask yourself:

Does it meet all my wants needs?
Does it offer excellent customer service?
And does the price fit my budget?

That is what I based my decision on. Plus the Grid Iron is American made and built like a tank. Fuel consumption is excellent for it's size.

If you go to this section of the forum: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?board=59.0 which is Burn it in the Back Yard with Hub, he has some excellent tutorials about pellet cooking. I highly recommend you read this before making your decision.

**I forgot to add that if anything happens with my Grid Iron I will be buying a Mak, either the 1 Star or the 2 Star. At the time I bought my pellet cooker the Mak didn't fit into my budget.**
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:30:33 PM by HighOnSmoke »
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »
The Yoder has been very hit or miss with people. They either love or hate 'em.

I was very close to buying a Yoder, then I started seeing some of the issues people were having with the programming, pellet consumption, uneven heat, etc.

I second Tim's suggestion to give MAK a serious look.  After nearly a year of research my wife and I decided on a MAK and we have never once regretted that decision. I have looked at other pellet cookers and have even cooked on a few others.  Let me just say the MAK is truly in a league of their own.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »
I would also try to sway you to purchase a MAK.  I have had my MAK 2 Star for a little less than a year and I love it.  It's built to last and backed by a phenomenal company with excellent customer service.  (Example - about 2 days after I purchased my MAK, I received a call from MAK telling me that the warming box on my unit had the accessory hook's hole drilled on the wrong side.  Mike said they would send me a new smoker box in a few weeks.  The fact that the company called me about a mistake they made on my grill that hadn't even been delivered yet blew me away.)

You hear it all the time on this forum - buy once, cry once.  As my old mentor used to say, "Cheap is expensive."  The price is definitely a little more than most pellet grills for a MAK, but it's well worth it. 
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline abcbarbecue

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »
I've got a Mak 2 Star General circa 2014.  I had igniter issues for the first year and to this day I'm not sure if the igniter was bad out of the box or if I broke the thing somehow when I assembled and first started using the cooker.  Once I got that igniter replaced it's been a dream to own.  If you can afford it I'd say you cannot go wrong with a Mak 2.

Just don't expect it to sear. 

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »
I've got a Mak 2 Star General circa 2014.  I had igniter issues for the first year and to this day I'm not sure if the igniter was bad out of the box or if I broke the thing somehow when I assembled and first started using the cooker.  Once I got that igniter replaced it's been a dream to own.  If you can afford it I'd say you cannot go wrong with a Mak 2.

Just don't expect it to sear.
The 2 Star w/ Flame Zone can't sear?  Sear as in leave a bit of char? Or just sear and leave a nice brown crust on the surface of meat? How's the 2 Star do when loading down the entire grilling surface with simple things like burgers and chicken?  Does the food come off with a "grilled/seared" appearance?

I mentioned it in another thread...but I am moving, and my new backyard will have a bit less space for my cooking arsenal. Seriously toying with the idea of purchasing a 2 Star as my ONLY smoker/grill. I'd still have my Blackstone Griddle...which I could always use for reverse sears in conjunction w/ a 2 Star :).  Or use the Blackstone when entertaining and in need of a bunch of simple food QUICK.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
The new 2017 Mak one star improvements are pretty impressive. And the Mak company will never let you down.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 12:21:20 PM »
The 2 Star w/ Flame Zone can't sear?  Sear as in leave a bit of char? Or just sear and leave a nice brown crust on the surface of meat? How's the 2 Star do when loading down the entire grilling surface with simple things like burgers and chicken?  Does the food come off with a "grilled/seared" appearance?

Will it  sear and char to the same degree as a "Vortex" or "Slow 'N Sear" over blazing hot charcoal? No, but for someone who grills occasionally (like me), YES, it can sear, and so will the MAK 1 Star with the FlameZone! 

Here are a few tips I've learned about searing on the MAK:

1) This is crucial: If you want to sear with the FlameZone setup You HAVE to let the MAK preheat on "High" for at least 15 minutes or so FIRST!  If you think about it, it's no different than preheating a Gas grill, or or less convenient than waiting for charcoal to ash over.

2) The MAK searing grates work better than the regular grates. They hold a lot more heat.

Some people like using the GrillGrates brand grates on their MAK's.  I find them to work OK, but I prefer the MAK Searing Grate better because I can get a little char on the edges.

3) When searing, ignore what the temp sensor is telling you. That's the overall temp of the air in the grill, and will drop every time you open the grill.  The temperature at grate level above the FlameZone is much hotter than that.

4) The blacker the FlameZone is (from use) the better it seems to work. My guess is it's radiating infrared heat.

5) The MAK Griddle gives one heck of an all-over sear as opposed to grill marks if that's your preference.

6) The type of Pellets you use makes a HUGE difference!  Alder based pellets will NOT give you nearly as good results as Oak based pellets.

For optimal heat when grilling the best pellet I have found is the Lumberjack brand "Charblend Hickory" pellets.  They have charcoal in the blend, which burns hotter, and my MAK does get just a little hotter than using regular pellets!

Here are a few pics of our MAK 1 Star in grilling action with the FlameZone and MAK Searing grate:

Note how black the FlameZone drip pan is in this pic, and that there IS a little char around the edges of these chops:  8)

Hope this helps!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
I am surprised no one has mentioned Memphis Pellet Grills. That's on my list when I move. I currently have a Traeger and it works fine for me but keep in mind I have many other grills so I use the Traeger for ribs and chicken and ABTs almost exclusively. If someone were wanting it to be an end all be all grill, it's not the one to have.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
I think the Memphis is a fi e product. And if one has a bias for grilling vs smoking with their pellet cooker...it should be considered in my opininion.

But...where I favor the MAK is in the number of accessories...the. better controller with a smoke mode and 3 probe ports.and WiFi option.
And...MAK usez a vrade of stainless that does not rust. Memphis has lowered the quality of their stainless and it rusts.
Lastly..the company. MAK is the pinnacle in customer and product support.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »
I am surprised no one has mentioned Memphis Pellet Grills. That's on my list when I move. I currently have a Traeger and it works fine for me but keep in mind I have many other grills so I use the Traeger for ribs and chicken and ABTs almost exclusively. If someone were wanting it to be an end all be all grill, it's not the one to have.

I have a Memphis and would not trade it for anything!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline abcbarbecue

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »
For me if I can only have one cooker in my backyard I'm going with a cooker that uses charcoal.  They'll do everything.  Look at the Hasty Bake or the M1 Grill.

If you just love the idea of pellet cooking, though, go for it!  But try and get one more cooker.  Squeeze another couple of square feet of your backyard away from the missus and add a Weber Jumbo Joe for when you want to sear.  They stow away when you're not using them, too.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »

Will it  sear and char to the same degree as a "Vortex" or "Slow 'N Sear" over blazing hot charcoal? No, but for someone who grills occasionally (like me), YES, it can sear, and so will the MAK 1 Star with the FlameZone! 

Here are a few tips I've learned about searing on the MAK:

1) This is crucial: If you want to sear with the FlameZone setup You HAVE to let the MAK preheat on "High" for at least 15 minutes or so FIRST!  If you think about it, it's no different than preheating a Gas grill, or or less convenient than waiting for charcoal to ash over.

2) The MAK searing grates work better than the regular grates. They hold a lot more heat.

Some people like using the GrillGrates brand grates on their MAK's.  I find them to work OK, but I prefer the MAK Searing Grate better because I can get a little char on the edges.

3) When searing, ignore what the temp sensor is telling you. That's the overall temp of the air in the grill, and will drop every time you open the grill.  The temperature at grate level above the FlameZone is much hotter than that.

4) The blacker the FlameZone is (from use) the better it seems to work. My guess is it's radiating infrared heat.

5) The MAK Griddle gives one heck of an all-over sear as opposed to grill marks if that's your preference.

6) The type of Pellets you use makes a HUGE difference!  Alder based pellets will NOT give you nearly as good results as Oak based pellets.

For optimal heat when grilling the best pellet I have found is the Lumberjack brand "Charblend Hickory" pellets.  They have charcoal in the blend, which burns hotter, and my MAK does get just a little hotter than using regular pellets!

Here are a few pics of our MAK 1 Star in grilling action with the FlameZone and MAK Searing grate:

Note how black the FlameZone drip pan is in this pic, and that there IS a little char around the edges of these chops:  8)

Hope this helps!
That does help! Your Flame Zone...do you just let the drippings fall right on the SS, or do you cover with foil and poke holes? If straight on the stainless, how is the cleanup? Pain? Your cleaning method?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »
For me if I can only have one cooker in my backyard I'm going with a cooker that uses charcoal.  They'll do everything.  Look at the Hasty Bake or the M1 Grill.

If you just love the idea of pellet cooking, though, go for it!  But try and get one more cooker.  Squeeze another couple of square feet of your backyard away from the missus and add a Weber Jumbo Joe for when you want to sear.  They stow away when you're not using them, too.
As crazy as it may sound...I do have an M1. LOVE IT! Also have an older MAK 1 Star without the Flame Zone. Love LOVE the convenance of pellet munchers! I have a large family, and we always seem to be on the go. My 1 Star allows me to keep cooking even when we are crazy busy. The Pellet Boss is amazing.  My biggest concern is weeknight grilling on a 2 Star.