Author Topic: To Yoder or not to Yoder....that is my question.  (Read 14475 times)

Offline rwalters

To Yoder or not to Yoder....that is my question.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »
Sorry to the OP...I've kind of taken over your thread :(
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: To Yoder or not to Yoder....that is my question.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »
For me if I can only have one cooker in my backyard I'm going with a cooker that uses charcoal.  They'll do everything.  Look at the Hasty Bake or the M1 Grill.

If you just love the idea of pellet cooking, though, go for it!  But try and get one more cooker.  Squeeze another couple of square feet of your backyard away from the missus and add a Weber Jumbo Joe for when you want to sear.  They stow away when you're not using them, too.
X2 a large Weber would be my one cookers.....just have the 18 now but they are all great
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
That does help! Your Flame Zone...do you just let the drippings fall right on the SS, or do you cover with foil and poke holes? If straight on the stainless, how is the cleanup? Pain? Your cleaning method?

No do NOT cover it with foil!  That would interfere with the heat transfer for sure.  The FlameZone is a drip pan, so just let the dripping fall onto it. 

Cleanup isn't hard at all. If it's greasy, I take it out, wash it down with a little soapy water, spray it down with a hose, and let it dry.  Then about once or twice a year I stick it in our self cleaning oven, along with the regular drip pan, racks, etc., and run a 3 hour self-cleaning cycle. Easy peasy.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
I am surprised no one has mentioned Memphis Pellet Grills. That's on my list when I move. I currently have a Traeger and it works fine for me but keep in mind I have many other grills so I use the Traeger for ribs and chicken and ABTs almost exclusively. If someone were wanting it to be an end all be all grill, it's not the one to have.

I have a Memphis and would not trade it for anything!

Mike, you were who I was thinking of when I typed that, lol!

So Freedivr, you've been steered in many directions. I say that you should buy the best you can afford. The most expensive doesn't necessarily translate into being better, so keep that in mind. I will say what others have said. I have NOT cooked on a Yoder. I do like they way they look, I know a guy with one and as far as I know he likes it. For me, I think it may be overpriced but what do I know? I paid $1500.00 for a one trick pony (Karubecue C60) so maybe I am not qualified to speak on things of that nature. One thing to consider, you can buy a Rec-Tec AND a nice second cooker for less than what the Yoder costs. That's how I equate value but then again, my oldest grill I own is from August of 2011. I have been known to buy things and sell them. I look at it as nothing ventured, nothing gained. I like to try new cookers and sometimes that means I'd rather buy 2 things versus 1 really pricey thing. I see both sides though.

Good luck with your decision, we'll be awaiting the arrival of it!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline FreeDivr

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »
I am greatful for all the responses and info! I have a 26" Weber so that part is covered as some have mentioned having one. The Yoder is very pricey, but quality seems good. The Rec Tec is definitely in the running. I have looked at the Mak you all are mentioning, to be honest and I realize I am the newbie but it seems relatively small cooking area? I want to have plenty of space to do a ton of  ribs for several families or a couple briskets....I can see this decision wont the easy.
Sit long, talk much, laugh often!

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »
I am greatful for all the responses and info! I have a 26" Weber so that part is covered as some have mentioned having one. The Yoder is very pricey, but quality seems good. The Rec Tec is definitely in the running. I have looked at the Mak you all are mentioning, to be honest and I realize I am the newbie but it seems relatively small cooking area? I want to have plenty of space to do a ton of  ribs for several families or a couple briskets....I can see this decision wont the easy.

Whatever you decide will be the right choice! No matter what,  one thing is for certain,  good food is in your future!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 08:39:44 PM »
I've had my Rec-Tec for two years now and can't say anything but good things about.   

So far this thing has been bullet proof and very little maintenance as far as cleaning.   I spent many days trying to decide which way to go as far as buying a Rec Tec, Traeger and even looked at a Green Mountain but remembering how solid the Rec-Tec were at the GA cookout.   The price was a bit high but a good smoker is not going to be cheap, I looked at MAK's and wanted one so bad after I used Tenthunters at one of the cookouts issue was the extra $500 bucks more than the Rec Tec.  My better half ok'd the $1000 bucks but no way could I go $1500 or more ??? without getting kicked out of the house.  I heard of Memphis grills but never got to touch one so it really never factored in to the decision   

If you got the $$$$ get the MAK you won't be sorry, but for me the $$$ for the Rec-Tec was best for the money. 

Rec-Tec's service is second to none also, any issue I've ask about was handled right then no waiting :thumbup:

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 09:19:48 PM »
Here is my take on the Yoder pellet grills:

I did pellet consumption testing for Eric over at Simi Pellet Grills and he brought over a Yoder YS-480. The smallest of Yoders pellet grill offerings. We also had a Camp Chef and a Rec Tec and a Green Mountain Daniel Boone that we were also using for the consumption tests.

The Yoder is a fuel hog. That 1/4 inch steel body is fine for a stick burner but way to thick for a pellet grill imho. It took way too long to come to temp. When in smoking temperatures and I wanted to bump it up to 400, it took way too long to respond.

These tests were done in April in the San Fernando Valley at the time and the temps were in the 60's.

We put a Yoder thermo blanket on it and wheeled it into direct sunlight and the pellet consumption was no way near to the other lesser priced grills on the patio.

Is the Yoder a solid offering...you bet. American made. The Yoder also had the weakest smoke flavor profile of all the pellet grills I have cooked on. The fire just burns too clean. The hopper is 18 lbs and you better keep a bag nearby because you will be topping it off alot. Overnight cooks?? Better have your alarm set for two in the morning so you don't run out of fuel.

So..............If you don't mind where the grill is made.......go Rec Tec. The best of the "imported" grills by a country mile.

If you want to buy American: Mak or Memphis or Blazin.  Yoder and Cookshack are the weakest of the American offerings if you ask me.

I understand Sawtooth grills are back in business and they are getting good reviews.....also made here.

Good Luck. Whatever you get we will be glad to see and hear about it  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »
Ain't it great to have so many so many choices? And - sound advice from many folks that have experience.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline FreeDivr

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2017, 11:14:08 PM »
I just can't say enough how thankful I am with all this advice....even this part of the process is a lot of fun!!!
Sit long, talk much, laugh often!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 11:39:27 PM »
I just can't say enough how thankful I am with all this advice....even this part of the process is a lot of fun!!!

That is the spirit! Enjoy the processes of inquiry, research, and decision making. All of those will add up to you finding what suits your specific needs best.

I give this bit of advice fairly often: Make a list of your priorities for this purchase. Organize them in most to least important. Make copies. For each pit you look at  - think of it as an "interview". The pit is looking to be hired for a job you have created, with some specific requirements. Score each pit based on your observations and findings.
The parameters might include:
size - what is the useable area of the grilling surface. Height as well as surface area are important here.
construction - This is partially responsible for durability, with some variables.
warranty - plain enough....
availability - is there local dealer support? Not absolutely necessary...but it is a plus.
upgradeability - important to me - but maybe not to everyone
manufacturer responsiveness - this includes customer and product.
knowledge base - are there owner's groups that can answer questions, make suggestions and offer advice for the product
cost - surely not the last on the list...but it should not be first either. Try hard to not allow it to become "the" factor in the decision.

There are other things you may want to include in your own list. And - you need to prioritize them as fits YOUR needs.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress. :)
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 01:45:07 AM »
Quote from: FreeDivr
I just can't say enough how thankful I am with all this advice.... even this part of the process is a lot of fun!!!

Hey, it's a big purchase, so keep asking away!

I have looked at the Mak you all are mentioning, to be honest and I realize I am the newbie but it seems relatively small cooking area?

I thought the same thing until I started cooking on our 1 Star.  Tee's advice, "the useable area...  height as well as surface area are important," is spot on!  The best thing I can say is do not be deceived by the relatively small footprint of this grill.  The MAK holds a lot more food than you'd think, especially with the full upper rack in place (which doubles its capacity). Most grills can't offer a full upper rack because of height and/or lid design.

Here are a couple examples:

Every year I do a few large cookouts, one being the annual Marching Band cookout during Band Camp week.
This past year I cooked enough pork shoulders on my MAK 1 Star to feed 140 hungry band kids, staff & volunteers.

And it can hold a whole mess of chicken too...

And keep in mind, the new 2017 1 Star, and the 2 Star are bigger than what you're seeing here.

Again, hope this helps!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 10:18:58 AM »
Facebook has many pages devoted to most pellet grills by users. You can get some good advice and lots of pictures of the pit in action just keep in mind that you are going to get strictly biased advice.

Pellet grills have this phenomenon where a fella gets a certain Pellet Grill and it immediately becomes "The Best Ever" and "Everything else is junk" You don't see this with charcoal and gas grills with Weber being the distinction of having Weber Nation but that is well deserved...Weber has earned it through the decades.

Tee and Tent and others have given you some solid advice.

Personally, none of us here really care or prefer which Mfg of a pellet grill you get.........we just want you to be totally happy with your purchase  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago and kept leaning from one smoker to another until I finally made my decision. I liked the looks and quality of the Yoder as well and considered it for a while as well. I l;anded on the MAK 1 star and have LOVED it! As for cooking area, they have 3 upper grate options, 1/2, 3/4, and full upper. I've seen pics of guys cooking 8 whole pork butts on one with the full upper grate. How much are you really going to be cooking at once?!

Anyways, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices you're looking at. All I know is I have liked my MAK more than I thought I would and it has surpassed my expectations. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2017, 11:38:13 AM »
Should have read the whole post before I replied! Tenthunter already posted his pics, that's what I was thinking of. That's a crap ton of food on one little smoker!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear