Author Topic: Web software  (Read 908 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Web software
« Reply #-1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:45:21 AM »
I know this has nothing to do with the site but does anyone have recommendations for web creation software?

I was using FrontPage but it's no longer available.

http://www.capecodbbq.com

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Mike
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Web software
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »
Mike if it is a project you want to do yourself - look at   www.SquareSpace.com   They have a lot of templates, and great support.
Best!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Web software
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
Squarespace is great. That's what I use.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »
WordPress is what I use for my Blog - Look at www.smokinpetebbq.com.  It's free and I would venture to say that all service providers support it's use.  Here's what WordPress says:

WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. We like to say that WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.

The core software is built by hundreds of community volunteers, and when you’re ready for more there are thousands of plugins and themes available to transform your site into almost anything you can imagine. Over 60 million people have chosen WordPress
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
I agree w/ smoker pete re: Wordpress. For most uses (including blogs) it is tough to beat - pretty easy to learn and use. For full blown sites I really like Dreamweaver (Adobe.) I've been using it since the first version and still using it, 10 years and multiple updates later, for a number of sites that I maintain. I've used Front Page, Adobe GoLive and a number of "free" build it on the host packages. For power and ease of use Dreamweaver is tough to beat. For a relatively simple site that is easy to maintain - Wordpress rules. You can even easily attach podcasts and videocasts.

Good luck!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:33:25 PM »
I agree w/ smoker pete re: Wordpress. For most uses (including blogs) it is tough to beat - pretty easy to learn and use. For full blown sites I really like Dreamweaver (Adobe.) I've been using it since the first version and still using it, 10 years and multiple updates later, for a number of sites that I maintain. I've used Front Page, Adobe GoLive and a number of "free" build it on the host packages. For power and ease of use Dreamweaver is tough to beat. For a relatively simple site that is easy to maintain - Wordpress rules. You can even easily attach podcasts and videocasts.

Good luck!

David

You're correct about Dreamweaver David.  I use it for a number of sites also.  Started out with GoLive and migrated to Dreamweaver.  You can buy it as a stand alone product.  My Dreamweaver came with Phtotoshop, Acrobat, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator, and a few other tools bundled in with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Web Premium.

After visiting your site Mike I would also recommend WordPress or see what your host provider has available like David said.  Many of those "free" packages aren't bad and they'll easily do the job for you.  I'm no expert [ I just play one in forums  ;) ] but if I can answer any questions just PM me.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline firezilla

• It's really me, firefly!
    • Possets Perfume
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
I am pretty astounded by the "one click" website creation tools from 1and1 webhost. I have been with them for years and love their service and pricing, website creation is just the icing on the cake. If I were starting out, I would look into what PayPal has to offer in the way of diy site creation. If you are selling things, PayPal is excellent.

As far as what I used, I have a Zen Cart site which was not easy to put up BUT is a real good software if you know what you are doing. I customized it myself and it works very well and is full of features. There are others, like XCart which friends of mine are high on, too.

Most sites are going to be php sites, but you can use a plain jane html site as well. I would highly recommend your taking a few courses in each so that you are not totally innocent of what is going on with your site. Trust me, even the best site will go wonky sometime. Relying totally on others to fix it for you can be pretty bad.

I use WordPress for my blogs and think it's great. It can get complex and hard to fathom if you are hosting it on your own site. Honestly, there have been some updates which drove me to having mine hosted on the WorkPress site. That is the big difference. When you host on their site, they take care of all the updates for you and the server does not go down. On your site, you are in charge, and you get to fix any problems that come up. You are more limited about what you can do to make your site look different if you are hosted on their site, though. If you can host your own website with them, I don't know.

What I use for most things in general is: HTML Kit (free software and great for HTML), Notepad++ (excellent for php work--free and full featured), Homesite (it is now part of Dreamweaver but it's an old text editor which I loved and now it's an antique), FireFTP for loading up the odd adjustments to the site and that's about it. Works for me. Good luck and have fun.
Oh my, I just had the BEST grilled _______! Wow.