Author Topic: My Sous Vide Salmon Steak Dinner  (Read 812 times)

Offline Agustine

My Sous Vide Salmon Steak Dinner
« Reply #-1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:57:52 PM »
I have made this a few times. First couple of times I used the lower temps of 115-120 and shorter soak times of 30 minutes. I was not to impressed with the texture so this time I went for 130°F for 1 hour.
Used the normal herbs and spices one might use for salmon. Added butter and lemon.
I had a small pot of rice cooked and added diced carrots, peas and mushrooms with a dash of kikkoman soy sauce.
I seared the skin side down to give the skin some crisp.
The salmon steak was about 2 1\2 inches in the middle.
This was much better in texture for me. It was more firm and flaked away very nicely.
Very tasty meal.

Vac sealed waiting for the bath:

After the bath:

A fast sear:

Ready for dinner:

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline zueth

Re: My Sous Vide Salmon Steak Dinner
« on: January 30, 2018, 07:06:16 PM »
I have made this a few times. First couple of times I used the lower temps of 115-120 and shorter soak times of 30 minutes. I was not to impressed with the texture so this time I went for 130°F for 1 hour.
Used the normal herbs and spices one might use for salmon. Added butter and lemon.
I had a small pot of rice cooked and added diced carrots, peas and mushrooms with a dash of kikkoman soy sauce.
I seared the skin side down to give the skin some crisp.
The salmon steak was about 2 1\2 inches in the middle.
This was much better in texture for me. It was more firm and flaked away very nicely.
Very tasty meal.

Vac sealed waiting for the bath:

After the bath:

A fast sear:

Ready for dinner:

Thanks for posting this, I have only done salmon once in SV and did it at 122 for 1 hour and also did not like the texture and figured I better just go back to doing it on the BBQ.  But will have to try the higher temp and see if I like it better.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:18:01 PM »
I am just learning & would love to make a good salmon so I am watching what people say for temps & time
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
I like everything I see on that plate. I might even eat a pea or two......................might  :) 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32