Author Topic: How do YOU prepare the ultimate burger patty?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline ClimberDave

Re: How do YOU prepare the ultimate burger patty?
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
All this talk of smash burgers makes me want on.  Ill do some on my SRG this weekend with a cast iron plate I have!
With pics, yeah?!?! :)
YES lots I hope!   I bought a cast iron plate years ago for camping, did eggs, bacon, sausage you know the normal stuff ;)  But after all the dang talk of smash burgers I got to get it out and use if for a griddle ;) ;)     It's gets hotter then H&## so should make some great burgers + I get to cook outside!!!!!!!  :D :D :D :D

Only cost 14 bucks and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a flat grill       https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle#repChildCatid=27890

Yet another reason to buy an SRG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SRG??  Have a link??
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline rwalters

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 11:27:51 AM »
Dang, Cliff... I’ve seen those sheet pan burgers before but have never made them myself. That has got to change!!!! How many lbs of beef would you say it takes to fill the pan in that pan?

You can fill them up to make them as thick or thin as you like.   As a guide, a normal sized sheet will yield 12 patties, so:

>  3 lbs of meat will give you 1/4 lb patties (pre-cooked weight).   < a good size for cookouts with other meats being served
>  4 lbs will give you 1/3 lb patties.  < a good size if this is your main protein (especially with toppings).

What temp do you cook at, and about how long do you plan on the cook taking?

Anywhere from 225° - 300° seems to work well.  The lower & slower you go the more smoke they can absorb. It depends on what if anything else is being cooked with them, and/or what toppings you're using. They need to cook as well.   

Overall, though I find low & slow 225° - 250° is best, especially if you have bacon on top.

Is the beef not just swimming in its own fat when done?

Oh you better believe they're swimming in their own fat & juices.  :thumbup: ;)  HOWEVER the burgers, themselves, are NOT any more/less greasy than cooking them any other way. They do stay pretty juicy this way! 

If there's an excess amount of fat & juices, then a turkey baster works well to get some of them out before trying to take them out of the grill.

One more note:  The trade off with this method is you give up a crust for flavor, but the cheese, as well as the burger has a chance to pick up some smoke and the flavor is just absolutely phenomenal!

After doing this once, I guarantee it will, at the very least, find a place in your normal repertoire!
Appreciate the details... thank you! :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
I love those Clff
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »
All this talk of smash burgers makes me want on.  Ill do some on my SRG this weekend with a cast iron plate I have!
With pics, yeah?!?! :)
YES lots I hope!   I bought a cast iron plate years ago for camping, did eggs, bacon, sausage you know the normal stuff ;)  But after all the dang talk of smash burgers I got to get it out and use if for a griddle ;) ;)     It's gets hotter then H&## so should make some great burgers + I get to cook outside!!!!!!!  :D :D :D :D

Only cost 14 bucks and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a flat grill       https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle#repChildCatid=27890

Yet another reason to buy an SRG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SRG??  Have a link??
Look around but this is a good price.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TRU-Infrared-Smoker-Roaster-Grill/dp/B00365FIAS
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2018, 05:44:02 PM »
90/10 for me........90% drinking beer & 10% eating burgers.......  hey I am a Jet fan you need something for the pain

The jets are going to get josh Rosen. This makes me jealous as a giants fan. Rosen will be the. Best qb in the draft

lol we have not picked a great qb since 1964,,,,,,,,,why start now ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 11:59:55 AM »
First, Tent-H, that sheet pan burger looks amazing.  What are you looking at? 135, 155 internal?

My take(s) on the best patty. I love me a good smashed burger. And since they are cooked in only 60 seconds, and on a flat top, you could probably get away with 80/20 or 85/15 since there isn't enough time for the fat to cook out. I make them into very loosely packed 2 ounce balls. Place two on the grill two inches apart on a screaming hot griddle. Smash the super flat. Flip after 60ish seconds, place cheese (American melts the best) on one patty. Top with the other patty and immediately put on buns. Buns need to be toasted with the topping already on them. You don't have enough time to do it while the burgers are cooking.

YouTube "Kenji ultra smashed burger"

Tradition method. From a bunch of different youtube videos they all say you really need to grind your own meat. Wish I had one. You can choose what ever cuts you like for the flavor profile. The important thing is the grinding. When it comes out, lay all of the strands into long rows on top of plastic wrap. LOOSELY. Build it up to a log about 2.5-3.5 inches round. Wrap in the plastic to finish the forming process. Let it chill for a while in the fridge to cool back down. Then slice the rolled log in to desired thicknesses. This method will produce a super tender patty. It is like slicing steak and brisket against the grain for tenderness since the beef strands all run the same direction.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
First, Tent-H, that sheet pan burger looks amazing.  What are you looking at? 135, 155 internal?

I look for 160° I.T.,  and they're still good and juicy.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
I like any type of burger cooked any way.  At home, I've been doing a 50/50 grind of chuck roast and brisket.  I form them into 8oz patties, freeze for about an hour, vacuum seal, then cook them sous vide.  I then finish them either on Grill Grates on my gasser or the griddle on my MAK.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill