Author Topic: Simple Chicken Cooked in Joule  (Read 903 times)

Offline zueth

Simple Chicken Cooked in Joule
« Reply #-1 on: April 25, 2018, 06:41:26 PM »
I have wanting to try Chicken in SV since i got it and finally got around to it.  I rubbed the boneless/skinless breasts with olive oil and seasoned with Weber Garlic & Herb.  Then vacuum packed them with a pat of butter.  Put them in the Joule at 145 for 90 minutes, when they were done I patted them dry and then seared them on my recently rebuilt Weber with the new grill grates.  Boy do those grill grates get hot, the registered at 800 before I put the chicken on for about 45 seconds per side.  I have alwasy been happy with the chicken I cooked on SRG, but these were by far the juiciest chicken I have had, just need to figure out how to get some smoke flavor.

Chicken Seasoned:

Chicken in hot tub bath:

Chicken off grill:

reserved liquid:

Chicken plated with Rice Pilaf and liquid on top:

Chicken cut into:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:50:57 PM by zueth »

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Simple Chicken Cooked in Joule
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:43:43 PM »
Lookin Mighty Nice! :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »
Nice!!

yeah  can beat  SV chicken!
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
Very nice!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:00:10 AM »
Boy do those grill grates get hot, the registered at 800 before I put the chicken on for about 45 minutes per side.  I have alwasy been happy with the chicken I cooked on SRG, but these were by far the juiciest chicken I have had, just need to figure out how to get some smoke flavor.

I'm assuming you meant 45 SECONDS per side.  I have cooked chicken breasts a few times with my Joule sous vide then finished on the grill.  The chicken turns out amazing and I don't have to worry about if I cooked it long enough. 
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:42:59 AM »
If you have a smoke tube you could place chicken in your pit, no heat except the lit smoke tube. Let it go for 30 to 45 minutes then package for the SV bath. I also would like to know what cooking vessel you used and which rack. I've been doing all SV in the wife's larger stock pots but often find I could use more room. That set up looks perfect.
MAK #3591

Offline zueth

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 03:51:17 PM »

I'm assuming you meant 45 SECONDS per side.  I have cooked chicken breasts a few times with my Joule sous vide then finished on the grill.  The chicken turns out amazing and I don't have to worry about if I cooked it long enough.

Ha, yep 45 seconds

Offline zueth

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 03:53:47 PM »
If you have a smoke tube you could place chicken in your pit, no heat except the lit smoke tube. Let it go for 30 to 45 minutes then package for the SV bath. I also would like to know what cooking vessel you used and which rack. I've been doing all SV in the wife's larger stock pots but often find I could use more room. That set up looks perfect.

Got them all from Amazon, I have been very happy with them.   They are not cheap but I use them for every SV cook.

the container:
Rubbermaid Commercial Space Saving Food Storage Container, 12 Quart, Clear (FG631200CLR)

The lid:
EVERIE Collapsible Hinge Sous Vide Container Lid for ChefSteps Joule Cookers, Fits 12,18,22 Quart Rubbermaid Container (Side Mount)

The rack:
LIPAVI Sous Vide Rack-Model L10- Marine Quality 316L Stainless Steel-Square 7.8 x 6.4 Inch-Adjustable, Collapsible,Ensures even and Quick warming with Sous Vide Cooking - Fits LIPAVI C10 Container

Offline zueth

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 03:54:52 PM »
If you have a smoke tube you could place chicken in your pit, no heat except the lit smoke tube. Let it go for 30 to 45 minutes then package for the SV bath.

I have a Bradley with cold smoke adapter, so definitely could cold smoke them.  I thought I read that cold smoking poultry is a not a good idea though.

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:59:20 AM »
If you have a smoke tube you could place chicken in your pit, no heat except the lit smoke tube. Let it go for 30 to 45 minutes then package for the SV bath.

I have a Bradley with cold smoke adapter, so definitely could cold smoke them.  I thought I read that cold smoking poultry is a not a good idea though.
You got me there as I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will speak up. That being said I have done short sessions of cold smoking before without problems. Maybe just lucky.
BTW thanks for the info on vessel, lid and rack. I'll check them out.
MAK #3591

Offline Agustine

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:19:33 AM »
If you brine\cure chicken before cold smoking and thoroughly cook it afterward, it will be safe to eat. (165F)
I would not sous vide it if you cold smoke.  At 130°F (lots of sous vide recipes call for this temp on chicken breasts)the time it takes to pasteurize meat can be hours, and at 165°F the pasteurization time is down to seconds.
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.