Author Topic: New to pellet smokers  (Read 1568 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: New to pellet smokers
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »
Welcome from a long time pellet driver from North Carolina.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 08:37:43 AM »
I too was new to pellet smokers about 2 years ago.  I've learned a lot from this forum as well as from trial and error.  A bit of advice that I've heard from many here, keep a journal of your cooks.  That way, if it goes well, you can replicate it.  And if it goes bad, you can figure out what to change.  Welcome from northern Illinois.

That is great advice. No matter what your heat/smoke source is, keep notes. Only way to standardize success.

Not wanting to highjack the thread but can someone put up a picture of their notes? Obviously new to this so would like to see what type of information is kept or is most important. I assume pit temp., IT, outside ambient ETC.
MAK #3591

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
I keep a running log of my cooks in a Word document.  Here is a sample of my last cook on my MAK:

#61 Cook – Pulled Beef – Saturday, April 28, 2018         Pellets: CookinPellets Hickory
Coated chuck roasts (bought at Costco) with homemade brisket rub and put on smoker at 250F.  1.5 hours
later flipped the roasts.  After 3 hours total cooking time, brought roasts inside in full sheet pan and filled
with 32oz of warmed beef broth.  Covered with foil and back on smoker.  Cooking between 2-3 hours until IT
reaches 195F (took off after 2.5 hours).

I number my cooks, what was cooked, the date, and what pellets.  Also, the temp of the smoker and how long I cooked.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »
I keep a running log of my cooks in a Word document.  Here is a sample of my last cook on my MAK:

#61 Cook – Pulled Beef – Saturday, April 28, 2018         Pellets: CookinPellets Hickory
Coated chuck roasts (bought at Costco) with homemade brisket rub and put on smoker at 250F.  1.5 hours
later flipped the roasts.  After 3 hours total cooking time, brought roasts inside in full sheet pan and filled
with 32oz of warmed beef broth.  Covered with foil and back on smoker.  Cooking between 2-3 hours until IT

I number my cooks, what was cooked, the date, and what pellets.  Also, the temp of the smoker and how long I cooked.

Thanks. Sounds like a good way.
MAK #3591

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 07:31:41 AM »

That is fantastic. I will have to model this.
(New sticky thread about journaling? I could see this knowledge being useful for newbies like me.)
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer