Author Topic: Greetings from Georgia! New to the LTBBQ gang.  (Read 2314 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Re: Greetings from Georgia! New to the LTBBQ gang.
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 02:13:41 PM »
Welcome from Southeast Texas!
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline rwalters

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome teesquare and rwalters. I appreciate that. You know as I mentioned in my opening post I had just finished rebuilding my 20 year old Ducane, so that's where it all started. I began looking for a new gasser thinking I had to replace my Ducane, however as I started looking and considering another gas grill that would last me 20 years, I found so many choices and got interested in the pellet grill market. The more I watched YouTube video's the more I decided to fix my old gasser and make it as good as new, and get me a new pellet grill. Well, as I researched, I realized it wasn't going to be that easy with all the different styles and types of pellet grills. Very interesting market. My priority with a pellet grill (at first when I saw how some are making them be an end all grill) I was wow'ed and wanted it all, all the bells and whistles. It started when my local lawn equipment store started carrying the Yoders. I was impressed and said I'm saving up for one of those. Then I kept looking and thinking I need to calm down and really think this thing through. I think I will be more inclined to low and slow, and incorporate my gasser to finish off with the searing duties. My Kamado Joe is great but I would like to have something that didn't need as much oversight when I have 100 things to do while I'm trying to cook. I wouldn't mind having one that could do some higher temp grilling if I change my mind but it's not the primary want or need at this point. I think I am in the $1500-$1800 range but I have also considered an entry level portable like the GMG Davey Crockett to see if I really like it and use it camping after I experiment at home with it. I usually cook for my family of 4 with a couple of guests. Not a big crowd but I do see an occasional cook for maybe 15 or so. While my list of finalist is still large, I need your advice and experience to help guide me through this maze. I'm looking at the Yoder ys480, Blaz'n Grill Gradn Slam, Mak 1 Star, Fast Eddie PG500, Firecraft Q450, and the Assassin 36" Pellet Grill. Looking forward to more dialog and learning from you guys.

Well, the pellet grills you have mentioned are all nice units!  Personally, I think a nice pellet grill, sitting next to a dedicated grill (gas or charcoal), is the ultimate setup.  The ability to have the pellet cooker smoking at lower temps, while the other is screaming hot, is a really hard setup to beat!  Yes, you can setup many cookers with 2-zone cooking, or you can remove the meat after the low n slow portion of the cook and then ramp up your temp and return the meat to the cooker for the final sear... but still, it's hard to beat the versatility of side by side cookers.  This is how I have myself setup, and I absolutely love it (when needed)!  With that said, 95% of my cooks are done on one cooker at a time. I rarely find the need for both cookers to be going at the same time.  You will quickly learn the strengths of each cooker, and use them for just that... their strengths.

Ok, so more specific to your question.  You mention a budget of $1500-1800.  You also mention the thought of starting out with a less expensive pellet grill and getting your feet wet first.  Taking those comments into consideration, and putting myself in your shoes, here are the two pellet grills that I'd be looking HARD at.

1) On the lower end of the price spectrum, I'd be looking at the Grilla Grills Silverbac pellet grill.  For $699 delivered to your door, I do not think you will find a better built/better performing pellet grill on the market in that price range. And to me, what really sets the Grilla Grills apart is the company itself AND the user community which is more like family.  They have a SUPER active FB group that is one of the friendliest I have seen.  I do not own a Grilla Grills, nor have I ever cooked on one.  I do feel that I pay close attention to what's going on in the "BBQ world", and Grilla Grills has my attention in a very good way!

2) On the upper end of your budget, without question, I would choose the MAK 1 Star.  I have cooked on two different pellet cookers (manufacturers) in my lifetime... an older US made Traeger, and more recently a MAK 1 Star, and now a 2 Star.  As to the MAK 1 Star, you would be purchasing:
- A cooker that is built to last for many many years to come. What does this mean?  Well, all parts are super high quality, and built right here in the US.  There is marine grade 304 SS in all the right high wear places.  If it not stainless than we are talking aluminized steel with a very high quality high temp powder coat finish.  Not sure if you are aware of this... but aluminized steel does not rust.  So even if you get a chip or two in the powder coat finish, you'll never see rust form.  That's a big deal for longevity and overall aesthetics!
- Unlike Chinese manufactured pellet cookers, you are getting the best of the best in   components, both electrical and mechanical.
- A smoking machine.  I have never seen a pellet cooker that puts out more smoke than a MAK 1   Star.
- A highly programmable and reliable controller (Pellet Boss).  It's arguably the best in the   business.
- If you decide that you would like to sometimes use your MAK 1 Star as a grill, you can always   add the Funnel Flame Zone.  It works as advertised :)
- When you buy a MAK, you get the entire MAK service team in your corner.  They are amazing!
- Much like the Grilla Grills community, the MAK community is also much like a family... a much   smaller family, I am assuming due to the higher price point and fewer sales than the Grilla   Grills... but still very much a family.

I could say more, but I will refrain...lol.

So there you have it... some of my thoughts and opinions.  Please do not think that I am saying that Grilla Grills and MAK are the only 2 pellets cookers that I think are worth the money, because they are not.  All I am trying to say is that in my experience, and from everything that I have read and have gathered from actual owners... what I have shared is based on that :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin !  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Minglett22

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 11:37:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for making me feel at home with your sincere welcomes. I'm seeing great advice right off the bat. A lot of what you're saying about the Mak I've suspected, but not committed to it yet. rwalters, deebo,and kjrsmoker, you're right, I've never seen anything bad written or said about a Mak. You make a great case for it and I thank you for that. Wondering how it does with a second rack in it. Hub, I will definitely read your recommended food for thought. Jaxon, I am not far from Augusta so it would take me a couple of hours to get to Macon where the Assassin grills are made and I do plan on making a trip to see them. Their charcoal grills look awesome and seem to cook great! How do you like it? I did talk with Jeff Conley, owner of Assassin the other day and he was genuine and honest about his pellet grill they are now making. I'm not sure about the controller he's using. I think he called it a D-3 with PID technology, but I haven't found any information on it yet. Does that sound familiar to anyone, a D-3 controller with PID technology? Although I do like what they're doing in his shop in Macon, I need to understand more about his pellet grill. I really like the way it looks and how it's designed but have some reservations about the controller. Being new to the forum, where do I go from here?

Offline Deebo

Greetings from Georgia! New to the LTBBQ gang.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 05:18:56 AM »
I am assuming you have probably seen this.
2017 MAK 1 Star General #1273 - Reporting for Duty - Review & Testing!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=36877&share_tid=20208&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eletstalkbbq%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D20208&share_type=t

This is 8 butts on the older MAK which is smaller than the newer model.

Here is a 15 lb Brisket on the older Mak which is again smaller than the new one

TentHunter might be familiar with these images

Offline Minglett22

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 06:44:43 AM »
Deebo, no I have not seen that, Impressive! I would like to double rack for wings and jerky, but seeing that MAK with 8 butts,.......WOW! Nice! I've seen the Bull racks and was thinking those might be good, but maybe not needed. Does it cook the same on the top rack as well as on the bottom?

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 06:54:09 AM »
Thanks everyone for making me feel at home with your sincere welcomes. I'm seeing great advice right off the bat. A lot of what you're saying about the Mak I've suspected, but not committed to it yet. rwalters, deebo,and kjrsmoker, you're right, I've never seen anything bad written or said about a Mak. You make a great case for it and I thank you for that. Wondering how it does with a second rack in it. Hub, I will definitely read your recommended food for thought. Jaxon, I am not far from Augusta so it would take me a couple of hours to get to Macon where the Assassin grills are made and I do plan on making a trip to see them. Their charcoal grills look awesome and seem to cook great! How do you like it? I did talk with Jeff Conley, owner of Assassin the other day and he was genuine and honest about his pellet grill they are now making. I'm not sure about the controller he's using. I think he called it a D-3 with PID technology, but I haven't found any information on it yet. Does that sound familiar to anyone, a D-3 controller with PID technology? Although I do like what they're doing in his shop in Macon, I need to understand more about his pellet grill. I really like the way it looks and how it's designed but have some reservations about the controller. Being new to the forum, where do I go from here?

I went to the Assassin website and looked at the pellet grill. The controller looks like the same one that comes on the Blaz'n without their logo. I do believe it is the same one. Good controller. That controller is also on the Rec Tec and a few other ones. I am going to be in Macon this weekend so I may stop by and take a look at the pellet grill at their dealership.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 07:43:15 AM »
Welcome.

So you have Rec Tec right in your backyard in Augusta. I was going to get one until I got a ridiculous deal on a MAK.  I can tell you without a doubt MAK has some of the greatest customer service you can ever get.  AmazingRibs.com is my go to for grill/smoker/bbq reviews.  Both the Rec Tec and MAK are Gold Medal receivers.  Amazing Ribs does mention that the MAK grills have the best pellet grill control unit on the market. I would say REC Tec is the best value in the Ford/Chevy class. MAK would top the Mercedes/Audi/BMW class. For the Rolls/Bentley level you have Memphis.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline Roget

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

I am relatively new to pellet smoking myself. I purchased a GMG Davey Crockett (just to see if I liked cooking with pellets)

IMHO, if you purchase a Davey, you will find you love it, as I do mine.
The only problem will be that you will want to get a bigger one. Again as I do.

Good luck in your search for the right grill for you.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Minglett22

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »
Roget, that is exactly what I figured about the GMG Davey Crockett, I would get it, love it, but want a bigger one. I am holding back to get more educated before I pull the trigger. If I had more funds, I would get both, but unfortunately I do not. You are correct Michigan0626 Rec Tec is in my backyard and one of my co-workers is good friends with Ray Carnes, co-founder of Rec Tec. I haven't been able to get excited about a Rec Tec. May be odd, but they just haven't hit my hot button. I'm not going to completely rule them out, but I'm going to be looking elsewhere for now. The word MAK sure keeps coming up a lot and I love some great customer service. Highonsmoke on the Assassin, I wasn't able to zoom in on the grill's controller pic's on my computer but was able to zoom up on my phone tonight and you are right, it looks exactly like the Blaz'n grill controller. I see where it has a G2 on it and maybe Jeff said G3 instead of D3, an upgrage from the G2. I hope you get to go by the Assassin shop and see the grill. Let me know your thoughts if you make it. I really like it a lot. Jaxon lives 10 minutes from Assassin and has a 48" charcoal model. Jaxon, how has your grill been working out for you and Assassin's customer service been? I would think good, Jeff seems to want to provide a quality product at a reasonable price. 

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 10:28:41 PM »
Roget, that is exactly what I figured about the GMG Davey Crockett, I would get it, love it, but want a bigger one. I am holding back to get more educated before I pull the trigger. If I had more funds, I would get both, but unfortunately I do not. You are correct Michigan0626 Rec Tec is in my backyard and one of my co-workers is good friends with Ray Carnes, co-founder of Rec Tec. I haven't been able to get excited about a Rec Tec. May be odd, but they just haven't hit my hot button. I'm not going to completely rule them out, but I'm going to be looking elsewhere for now. The word MAK sure keeps coming up a lot and I love some great customer service. Highonsmoke on the Assassin, I wasn't able to zoom in on the grill's controller pic's on my computer but was able to zoom up on my phone tonight and you are right, it looks exactly like the Blaz'n grill controller. I see where it has a G2 on it and maybe Jeff said G3 instead of D3, an upgrage from the G2. I hope you get to go by the Assassin shop and see the grill. Let me know your thoughts if you make it. I really like it a lot. Jaxon lives 10 minutes from Assassin and has a 48" charcoal model. Jaxon, how has your grill been working out for you and Assassin's customer service been? I would think good, Jeff seems to want to provide a quality product at a reasonable price.

I will definitely let you know if we get by to scope it out. I will be spending the weekend with Jaxon so anything is a possibility.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »

The Davy Crockett is advertised as the best portable pellet smoker. Amazing Ribs even gives them their "Best Value" award.

I too noticed MAK being referenced over and over on here. I didn't even know about them because they were way over my initial budget. But the constant praise made me look into them to see if there was a fire to all of the "smoke" being written about. 
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »
Highonsmoke on the Assassin, I wasn't able to zoom in on the grill's controller pic's on my computer but was able to zoom up on my phone tonight and you are right, it looks exactly like the Blaz'n grill controller. I see where it has a G2 on it and maybe Jeff said G3 instead of D3, an upgrage from the G2. I hope you get to go by the Assassin shop and see the grill. Let me know your thoughts if you make it. I really like it a lot. Jaxon lives 10 minutes from Assassin and has a 48" charcoal model. Jaxon, how has your grill been working out for you and Assassin's customer service been? I would think good, Jeff seems to want to provide a quality product at a reasonable price.

I will definitely let you know if we get by to scope it out. I will be spending the weekend with Jaxon so anything is a possibility.

Mike, we can go to Assassin HQ early Friday afternoon.  Jeff has several grills they are building and we can touch every one of them.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 08:45:25 PM »
B T W...I went to school in Augusta and had a classmate named Randy Inglett.  He would be around 70 now.  Any connection?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Minglett22

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »
Jaxon,My brother went to Richmond and would have been 73 this year. He was 22 when he was killed in Vietnam, 1967. His name was Wayne. There may be a connection to Randy Inglett you mentioned but I'm not familiar with him. My dad always said we were all related but I don't hardly know any Ingletts. Kinda strange but somehow it's true. Hey, did you and Highonsmoke get out to see the Assassin pellet grills?