Author Topic: How long does it take your pellet grill to come up to temp?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline rwalters

How long does it take your pellet grill to come up to temp?
« Reply #-1 on: May 08, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »
Curious to hear from others...

For this question, lets pretend that it is a pleasant day.  70 degrees, sunny and no wind.

You start up your pellet grill, and set the controller to 450 degrees.

My question:  Given this scenario, how long would it take from the moment you flip the switch until you are sitting at 450 degrees?  Also, what make/model of pellet grill are you cooking on?

Curious to hear what kind of pre-heat times others are experiencing.

For the record, on a 70 degree day, I expect my MAK to be sitting at 450 degrees at right around the 20 minute mark.

I know size of pit matters... thickness of steel matters... as does insulated vs non-insulated... as does type of wood pellets. 

So that leads to one more question.  Have you honestly found one type of pellet (maybe oak) to bring you up to desired grilling temps faster than another wood type (maybe cherry)?

MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline rwalters

Oh yeah, and how even does your specific pellet grill cook, side to side/front to back, when grilling at 450-plus?

Just curious to hear the experiences of others :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: How long does it take your pellet grill to come up to temp?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 05:57:04 PM »
From my prior notes....

My old Yoder - could take 30-40 minutes. The thick steel would really soak up the BYUs, then - the internal temp would climb.

My old Rec-Tec - 20+ minutes. Faster than the Yoder.

My curent MAK 2 Star with Flashfire.....5-8 minutes as best I can guess. It is FAST.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »
From my prior notes....

My old Yoder - could take 30-40 minutes. The thick steel would really soak up the BYUs, then - the internal temp would climb.

My curent MAK 2 Star with Flashfire.....5-8 minutes as best I can guess. It is FAST.
My MAK has the Flashfire and the Funnel Flame Zone, and no way can I be up to 450 in 5-8 minutes.  On a hot day, maybe 15.  I would love it if you would time it on a nice day and confirm.  Now you've got me worried that something is wrong with my MAK... lol.

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »
Important information for us pellet wannabe owners!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 07:53:52 PM »
From my prior notes....

My MAK has the Flashfire and the Funnel Flame Zone, and no way can I be up to 450 in 5-8 minutes.  On a hot day, maybe 15.  I would love it if you would time it on a nice day and confirm.  Now you've got me worried that something is wrong with my MAK... lol.

CORRECTION....350F.... my reading ( NOT reading ) too fast.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »
With my current MAK 1 Star setup (FlashFire Ignitor & new-style FlameZone) at 70° ambient temperature, it takes roughly 12 - 13 minutes to reach actual grate temps of 450° (in "grill" mode).   This is measured WITHOUT foil (which acts as a radiant barrier to infrared) on the drip pan/covers.

I actually did tests at an ambient temp of 70° for the FlameZone review: 2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!

And YES, the type of pellet absolutely matters!   A Straight oak, or charcoal-blended pellet is what consistently gives me the best performance (high BTU's low ash).  A charcoal blend edges out the straight oak, but straight oak is a lot more readily available.

An oak/hickory blend works well, but creates a little more ash. 

The fruitwoods, (apple, cherry, peach, etc.), or blends such as Cooking Pellets "Perfect Mix" in my opinion, are best left for low & slow BBQ where their flavor profile has a chance to influence the flavor of the food.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »
I have a 2 Star with the new funnel Flame Zone...so you pretty much know how long it takes mine to get up to temp.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Gtsum2

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »
14-15 minutes to 450

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »
I have a 2 Star with the new funnel Flame Zone...so you pretty much know how long it takes mine to get up to temp.

X2
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »
With my current MAK 1 Star setup (FlashFire Ignitor & new-style FlameZone) at 70° ambient temperature, it takes roughly 12 - 13 minutes to reach actual grate temps of 450° (in "grill" mode).   This is measured WITHOUT foil (which acts as a radiant barrier to infrared) on the drip pan/covers.

I actually did tests at an ambient temp of 70° for the FlameZone review: 2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!

And YES, the type of pellet absolutely matters!   A Straight oak, or charcoal-blended pellet is what consistently gives me the best performance (high BTU's low ash).  A charcoal blend edges out the straight oak, but straight oak is a lot more readily available.

An oak/hickory blend works well, but creates a little more ash. 

The fruitwoods, (apple, cherry, peach, etc.), or blends such as Cooking Pellets "Perfect Mix" in my opinion, are best left for low & slow BBQ where their flavor profile has a chance to influence the flavor of the food.
You mentioned 450° grate temp... I am more curious about 450° Pellet Boss temp. I realize that’s much higher than 450° grate temp... but that’s what I am wondering. IMO, anything under 20 mins is cool. I find it crazy that some of these bigger THICKER pellet pits are taking 35-45 mins to hit the higher temps. That would drive me bonkers thinking of all those pellets being consumed just to bring it up to temp... not to mention just having to wait that long. Heck, I can have my kettle at 500+ in 15 mins with lump charcoal...lol.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 08:42:47 AM »
Quote from: rwalters
You mentioned 450° grate temp... I am more curious about 450° Pellet Boss temp. I realize that’s much higher than 450° grate temp...

Oh...  I see (said the blind man)!  :D   In that case, roughly 13 - 14 minutes (in "grill" mode, using oak or a charcoal-blend) for the pit boss to show 450° seems to be the norm for me.  And it's usually showing around 500° within 15 - 16 minutes (I actually timed this for the FlameZone test review).
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »
My Rec Tec 680 takes 15 to 20 mins to warm up.  Never really worried about it because I start the grill then go get the food and time I get ready to place the food in it's close enough

Most cooks are 225 to 255    If grilling burgers or steaks I use my SRG's or Grill2Go  (unless I smoke them first)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 10:13:52 AM »
Quote from: rwalters
You mentioned 450° grate temp... I am more curious about 450° Pellet Boss temp. I realize that’s much higher than 450° grate temp...

Oh...  I see (said the blind man)!  :D   In that case, roughly 13 - 14 minutes (in "grill" mode, using oak or a charcoal-blend) for the pit boss to show 450° seems to be the norm for me.  And it's usually showing around 500° within 15 - 16 minutes (I actually timed this for the FlameZone test review).
Thanks Cliff! You’ve probably mentioned this before and I just can’t remember... but, in your reply you were careful to say “13-14 minutes in “grill” mode”.  Please remind me, does running the Pellet Boss in Grill Mode cause the temp to come up to 450° quicker than just setting the Pellet Boss to 450° from the start?  Are pellets fed into the fire differently? Does that fan blow differently?  Seems like we’ve had this conversation... almost feels like I am having an early “senior moment”... lol.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
My Rec Tec 680 takes 15 to 20 mins to warm up.  Never really worried about it because I start the grill then go get the food and time I get ready to place the food in it's close enough

Most cooks are 225 to 255    If grilling burgers or steaks I use my SRG's or Grill2Go  (unless I smoke them first)
I agree... any grill (gas, charcoal or pellets) that can preheat within about 20 minutes is good by me. As you mentioned, light it and go about your prep work... knowing that you’ll have a grill ready to go in 20 mins or less.  It’s the 40+ minute preheat grills that would drive me nuts ;)

I have just been curious to know if the majority of pellet grills on the market are in the 20 min and under camp... or if most take greater than 20 mins to hit grilling temps.