Author Topic: Hello from southern California!  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Pappymn

Hello from southern California!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 04:21:16 PM »
Welcome from Minnesota
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Hello from southern California!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 04:54:59 PM »
Welcome from Manitoba, Canada ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 07:27:53 PM »
Welcome from Central Texas.

Originally from the San Fernando Valley. I remember shopping at Zodys in North Hollywood back in the day.

Small world!  Born in Burbank and lived in Van Nuys, N. Hollywood and Sherman Oaks.  Zody's, WhiteFront and Akrons - first of the ideas that led to Walmart et al. 

By the way MAK owes you big time.  I just finished reading your lengthy post on the MAK 2 Star.  I had been struggling with a decision to buy a Memphis Pro or the MAK 2 Star.  Was leaning strongly towards the MAK, but still vacillating even with great feedback from TentHunter, MAK DADDY and rwalters (some of that from other forums).  Then your post covered all the bases, with great pics, ideas, cooks and others commenting.

My only challenge now will be assembly - I'm just not in a good position to do this myself and do not have anyone (yet) that can help.  I can't buy until the end of June when a friend is taking the Camp Chef, so I'll see if there are options for "all most completely" assembled delivery.

Thanks for the welcome!

lived in Van Nuys from 1960-2014   on Hartland St behind Valley Presbyterian Hospital.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 07:35:13 PM »

Drive up to Oregon?
[/quote]

Naw, not to Oregon.  But BigPoppa’s is about 3 hours drive from here.  I’ll be calling them in a couple of weeks and see what could be arranged.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure BPS doesn't have any MAK's at their place in CA.  My dad lives in La Quinta and I called BPS when I was out there to see if I could stop by and see a 2 Star as I was thinking of buying one.  Granted this was 4 years ago, but I would assume BPS has MAK ship their orders from Oregon.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 09:44:43 PM »
Is BPS cheaper than buying direct from MAK? No sales tax from MAK.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 10:05:11 PM »
I don't think it's cheaper buying direct however Mak grills gets to keep more of their profits instead of whole selling.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline Roget

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 10:20:31 PM »
Greetings from Indiana.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 10:25:10 PM »

Drive up to Oregon?

Naw, not to Oregon.  But BigPoppa’s is about 3 hours drive from here.  I’ll be calling them in a couple of weeks and see what could be arranged.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure BPS doesn't have any MAK's at their place in CA.  My dad lives in La Quinta and I called BPS when I was out there to see if I could stop by and see a 2 Star as I was thinking of buying one.  Granted this was 4 years ago, but I would assume BPS has MAK ship their orders from Oregon.
[/quote]

I guess I'll find out when I call - if they don't, then looks like hiring some high school kids might be the solution as someone else suggested. 

"Is BPS cheaper than buying direct from MAK? No sales tax from MAK."  - I do not think BPS is cheaper based on website pricing for the base grill and options, but they throw in some other stuff as a discounted bundle.  As for assembly, if they do not offer some options, then direct from MAK makes sense to me.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline rwalters

Hello from southern California!
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 07:50:24 AM »
Hey buddy, welcome to the LTBBQ family! Really glad to see you here :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)