Author Topic: Finally took the bait...  (Read 7636 times)

Offline rwalters

Finally took the bait...
« Reply #-1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
I’ve been looking for awhile and finally stumbled upon an older lady (I say that because I trust older ladies...lol) who was gifted an Anova Sous Vide (WiFi version) from her brother who is a professional chef... brand new in box, for $75. She flat out told me that she’s not much of a cook and will NEVER use a contraption like this.  Needless to say, I am finally in the club and look forward to learning a thing or two about this style of cooking :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Jaxon

Re: Finally took the bait...
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:27:24 AM »
I have one like that and really enjoy using it
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline rwalters

Finally took the bait...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
I have one like that and really enjoy using it
What do you tend to use it for? What are a few of your favorites?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:12 AM »
Congrats!     Now after you use it and learn send a letter to Kimmie so I can get one  :D :D :D

OH and in the letter say yes you can burn the meat after its cook to perfection! :D :) ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »
Those are awesome circulators. We like vegetables, chicken and pork chops the best from the SV. Steak is OK but for what ever reason I struggle with the sear. That may change now that I have a MAK 2 star with sear grates. Need to give that a go next time. They work great for reheating left overs also.
MAK #3591

Offline Roget

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 08:46:10 AM »
Congrats! Great find.

I use mine a lot for steaks & pork loin. Hamburgers sometimes.
I have also done fish in mine.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline rwalters

Finally took the bait...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
Those are awesome circulators. We like vegetables, chicken and pork chops the best from the SV. Steak is OK but for what ever reason I struggle with the sear. That may change now that I have a MAK 2 star with sear grates. Need to give that a go next time. They work great for reheating left overs also.
For steak, why not give something like this a try? As much as I love my MAK (and I have the sear grates), I know I would be disappointed with finishing a Sous Vide’d steak on it. You need HEAT... and lots of it to properly finish a steak :)
Jo Chef Professional Culinary Torch – Aluminum Refillable Crème Brulee Blow Torch – With Adjustable Flame – Perfect for Cooking, Baking, Crafts, BBQs – FREE Heat Resistant Place Mat + Recipe eBook https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073YSBC8P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fKT-Ab1KMRT48

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 09:11:31 AM »
I have a Joule sous vide and I love it.  It's great for chicken and pork chops as I don't have to worry about making sure it's done or too dry.  The SV cooks it perfectly and then I finish it on the grill.  It's also great for burgers and steak. 
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »
I love mine and you will love yours..I have a big pot, but you can use anything, even odd shaped pot or pans, I use ping pong ball for a lid to keep the heat evener..evener is a technical term, but it works on coolers or whatever else you find to cook in. Good luck and have fun playing.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline gkas

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 10:26:44 AM »
One of the best things Sous Vide does very well is chicken breast and turkey breast. I'll do an entire family pack of chicken breasts at one time. I vac seal one breast per package with a pat of butter and a touch of salt and pepper. I do boneless/skinless for 3 hours @ 146°. Then they all go into the freezer. We pull out one at a time as we need them. Fantastic for sandwiches, salads, etc. The last time the wife had the flu, I sliced some carrots and cooked those with some celery and wide noodles with chicken stock added. When the noodles were tender, I added the diced chicken breast for a couple of minutes. Just enough to warm, but not cook out the juices. A pretty darn good chicken and noodle soup in about 20 minutes.

Forget the packaged luncheon meats. I slice and vacuum seal all leftover meats. They defrost very quick for great sandwiches.

Offline Lantern

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 11:43:13 AM »
My faves are reheating bbq, chicken breast for chicken salad, poached eggs and the very best is "unrolled" boneless leg of lamb(finished on a medium high grill).

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 04:49:27 PM »

TIP:
Pre-heat your griddle or skillet  - and put a bacon press on it to heat as well.
Once they are very hot - lift the bacon press, place the steak on the griddle/skillet. Give it 1-2 minutes....now flip the steak, and leave fro another 1-2 minutes. DONE!
You will have a better overall sear on a flat, cast iron surface - or an upside down Grill Grate.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 07:36:03 AM »
For steak, why not give something like this a try? As much as I love my MAK (and I have the sear grates), I know I would be disappointed with finishing a Sous Vide’d steak on it. You need HEAT... and lots of it to properly finish a steak :)
Jo Chef Professional Culinary Torch – Aluminum Refillable Crème Brulee Blow Torch – With Adjustable Flame – Perfect for Cooking, Baking, Crafts, BBQs – FREE Heat Resistant Place Mat + Recipe eBook https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073YSBC8P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fKT-Ab1KMRT48

Thanks for the suggestion. I have considered trying the torch method but simply haven't invested in one yet. Cost is not an issue so I better hope on Amazon and get one coming.
MAK #3591

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 07:37:47 AM »

TIP:
Pre-heat your griddle or skillet  - and put a bacon press on it to heat as well.
Once they are very hot - lift the bacon press, place the steak on the griddle/skillet. Give it 1-2 minutes....now flip the steak, and leave fro another 1-2 minutes. DONE!
You will have a better overall sear on a flat, cast iron surface - or an upside down Grill Grate.

I've tried the cast iron skillet but not with a bacon press. Another tool we don't have but is about to change.
MAK #3591

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 07:47:21 AM »

TIP:

I've tried the cast iron skillet but not with a bacon press. Another tool we don't have but is about to change.
You can use 2 cast iron skillets also...heat both and put steak on one and top with the other one. Good luck.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron