Author Topic: Will this work and what are your thoughts  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Agustine

Will this work and what are your thoughts
« Reply #-1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
I have been tossing the idea of doing a pork butt or pork shoulder in the PBC till it reaches 160-165F internal temp. Then letting it cool just enough to throw it into a bag for sous vide and get the temp up to 200-205 IT. Anybody try this? If so how long in the water bath did you go? I want pulled pork in the end but I don';t want mushy pork if you know what I mean.
What are your thoughts.
Just trying to cut down on the baby sitting part of the cook :)
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Will this work and what are your thoughts
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »
  I've been thinking about doing this with beef and pork ribs.    "Reverse Sous Vide".
 The mushy part may be a trick to solve on the ribs much less on a butt...   I bet it will still taste good worse case though...
 The cool thing about SV is it won't go to a higher temp than set so you could leave it as long as you want to to be sure it's done.   
 Good luck and let us know how it turns off if you do it.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Will this work and what are your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:55:38 PM »
Per Kenji's guidance, I go the other way for ribs - sous vide first and then finish on grill, PBC, or whatever for smoke and bark. It works well and lets me keep a stack of ribs in the freezer to finish and serve on short notice.

I haven't done butt or shoulder that way (and I'd have to give it more serious thought than I'm prepared to do at the moment) but off the top of my head I'd probably try smoking low & slow for a few hours (since I usually want more smoke on a butt than on ribs), then putting in sous vide until almost done and finishing back on grill for bark. I'm pretty sure I'd do it start to finish instead of finshing later like can I do with ribs.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion