Author Topic: Joe's Georgia Gold BBQ Sauce  (Read 13198 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Joe's Georgia Gold BBQ Sauce
« Reply #-1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:53:17 PM »
While I was born in the great state of Texas, I spent most of my first decade in Columbus, GA, where my mom's family is from.  There, my grandfather was the "outdoor cooker" while my grandmother or my mom ruled the kitchen.  The family was partial to a local brand of sauce called Foy's, made by Dodd Foods. 

It was mustard based, not too much sweetness, and a bit thin.  It caramelized nicely on grilled ribs or sausage, but definitely was more of a basting sauce than a dipping sauce.

Now the 2018 "me" ... I like thicker sauces with bolder flavors.  That being said, a good mustard based sauce for pork or sausage does bring back sense memories from childhood.  For a Labor Day cook this year, I decided to revisit an old recipe I'd made and tinker with it.  Behold, The Georgia Gold Sauce:

GEORGIA GOLD BBQ SAUCE
- 2 Cups of French's Honey Mustard
- 1 Cup of French's Honey Dijon Mustard
- 1 Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup of Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup of White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup of Apple Juice
- 1/4 Cup of Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp. of Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp. of Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp. of Ground Mustard
- 2 Tbsp. of Black Pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1 Tbsp. of Cumin
- 1 Tbsp. of Ground Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. of Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp. of Chicken Base (Better Than Bouillon)

- Combine all the wet ingredients in a saucepan and mix well.  I usually pour some of the vinegar or apple juice into the mustard bottles to get the last bit out more easily.
- Then, incorporate the dry ingredients and whisk. 
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors marry. 
- The recipe will make 7-8 cups, depending on how much you reduce it.

This goes super well with any pork dish; I made this as one of two sauces (the other being Raspberry-Chipotle) for pulled pork sliders, served on King's Hawaiian Rolls with half-sour pickle slices and an optional slaw.

Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Re: Joe's Georgia Gold BBQ Sauce
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:22:26 AM »
I have used my own recipe for Carolina Mustard Sauce, and always was pleased with it.  I had to try your
Georgia Gold recipe and am glad I did.  This is a winner and I would highly recommend it for chicken and pork.  Good job.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 01:19:05 PM »
Not sure how I missed this before, but I'm a big fan of gold sauce and pork.  Used to use it all the time grilling up bone in Duroc pork chops at the country club, pair it with apple slaw and its (dare I say) gold standard.

Looking forward to trying this in the spring once the wife baby and I get settled in our new digs, I'll whip up a batch to impress the new neighbors.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »
@cookiecdcmk:  I appreciate the compliment.  If you ever want to use it as a glaze, thin it down with some apple juice and extra rub.  I did that with some ribs this weekend and like it as a finishing sauce as well as the thicker version.

@akruckus:  Consider an apple juice brine on the chops before you use the sauce and it dials it up to 11.  Malcolm Reed has a video on apple brine pork steaks I adapted and it's amazing for porks steaks, country style ribs, and even poultry.  Duroc or Berkshire double cut chops are a thing of beauty.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330