Author Topic: Oak?  (Read 12893 times)

Offline akjeff

Oak?
« Reply #-1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »
Do you folks offer any 100% Oak pellets? If not, what would you say are the highest heat producing pellet in you produce?

Thanks,

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline Salmonsmoker

Re: Oak?
« on: September 25, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »
Do you folks offer any 100% Oak pellets? If not, what would you say are the highest heat producing pellet in you produce?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hickory has more Btu's than oak.   http://worldforestindustries.com/forest-biofuel/firewood/firewood-btu-ratings/

Offline cookinpellets junior

• cookinpellets.com
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:39:32 PM »
yes hickory burns hot.We do not sell oak or alder... or use it as fillers. although i just got of the phone with a potential dealer in California. He said alder is super popular out here for  smoking fish
jr@cookinpellets.com
facebook: cookinpellets junior
facebook cookinpellets
www.cookinpellets.com

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:41:28 PM »
yes hickory burns hot.We do not sell oak or alder... or use it as fillers. although i just got of the phone with a potential dealer in California. He said alder is super popular out here for  smoking fish

Alder is the traditional smoking wood of Native Americans o the west coast including Alaska. It's all over the place. We're covered with the stuff here in PNW of WA. When I lived in AK many years ago I cut it and used it to smoke salmon.

Offline akjeff

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 01:23:30 AM »
Thanks for the info guys! Did not realize that Hickory had more BTU's than Oak!  :thumbup:

And yes, Alder is a GREAT fish(and bird and pork) smoking wood. As noted, it's a staple here in Alaska, and the PNW.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM