Author Topic: NY Strip Roast Quesitons  (Read 910 times)

Offline zueth

NY Strip Roast Quesitons
« Reply #-1 on: December 20, 2018, 07:50:30 PM »
I was at local grocery store and they had NY Strip Roast for $3.97/lb, so I am making it for Christmas Eve now.  Last year I did a bone-in ribeye roast that was just over 6lbs and it took 5 1/2 hours @ 200 degrees in the Bradley.  I plan on cooking the NY Roast the same way low and slow.  I have a couple of questions?

1) the fat cap is pretty thick, so I am thinking about trimming down to 1/4 inch, good idea?
2) should I cook on my Bradley again or on my Daniel Boone GMG pellet grill?
3) should I cheap temp at 200 or bump to 220?
4) how long should I expect a 15lb roast to take when cooking at 200?

Thanks.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: NY Strip Roast Quesitons
« on: December 20, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
Here's what I would do based on smoking many NY Strips ...

1) Trim the fat cap down to 1/4 inch or better yet, remove the fat cap completely and any silver skin
2) Having owned a Bradley in the past ... I would definitely smoke it on your GMG Daniel Boone
3) When I smoke my NY Strips I do it at 240ºF until the internal temperature reaches 135ºF - then rest under a loose foil tent for 20 minutes before carving
4) At 200ºF a 15 lb roast will take too long to cook  :D ... About an 8 lb roast took me 2 1/2 to 3 hours to reach 135ºF. See photo below for a NY Strip I smoked for Christmas in 2015 on my MAK 2 Star at 240ºF. At the time I did a lot of research on the web and found that 240ºF for the grill was very common

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 05:26:30 AM »
DANG; THAT is an excellent price for a whole strip loin!  We've done whole strip roasts the same as a rib roast with just as great of results.  I love 'em!  The only thing to keep in mind is a strip has a strip of gristle in it (same as a T-bone, since one side of a T-bone is the strip).

1) Don't go cutting the fat off of my steak, please!  :P  Seriously, I wouldn't trim ANY of the fat cap off.  Leave it on as it adds flavor. You can always trim it off on your plate if you don't want to eat it.

2) I would definitely cook it on your pellet grill.  You can't beat the flavor!

3) We cook them in our MAK anywhere between 250° - 275°.  After doing several, I prefer 275° - plenty of smoke still, doesn't take too awful long, and it gets a good enough crust that you don't really need to sear.  The MOST important thing is to be absolutely sure to LET IT REST for a good minimum 30 - 35 minutes, tented with foil (tented, not wrapped) before slicing it.

4) At 250° - 275° it will take around 2 1/2 - 3 hours.  DON'T forget the rest!

Here's one we did a few years ago, and here's the post with more pics: Whole N.Y. Strip Loin

Did I mention to be sure and let it rest?  ;)

Cliff

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
I found that Roasts from my Traeger were much better than my old Bradley. Seemed to retain more moisture.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline zueth

NY Strip Roast Quesitons
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 12:07:50 PM »
I found that Roasts from my Traeger were much better than my old Bradley. Seemed to retain more moisture.
Okay, GMG it is. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zueth

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »
Here's what I would do based on smoking many NY Strips ...

1) Trim the fat cap down to 1/4 inch or better yet, remove the fat cap completely and any silver skin
2) Having owned a Bradley in the past ... I would definitely smoke it on your GMG Daniel Boone
3) When I smoke my NY Strips I do it at 240ºF until the internal temperature reaches 135ºF - then rest under a loose foil tent for 20 minutes before carving
4) At 200ºF a 15 lb roast will take too long to cook  :D ... About an 8 lb roast took me 2 1/2 to 3 hours to reach 135ºF. See photo below for a NY Strip I smoked for Christmas in 2015 on my MAK 2 Star at 240ºF. At the time I did a lot of research on the web and found that 240ºF for the grill was very common

Thank you for the info, so it might take about 5 hours to get to an IT of 126 with a 15lber cooked at 240.  That is very helpful.

That roast looks very good.

Offline zueth

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 12:24:47 PM »
DANG; THAT is an excellent price for a whole strip loin!  We've done whole strip roasts the same as a rib roast with just as great of results.  I love 'em!  The only thing to keep in mind is a strip has a strip of gristle in it (same as a T-bone, since one side of a T-bone is the strip).

1) Don't go cutting the fat off of my steak, please!  :P  Seriously, I wouldn't trim ANY of the fat cap off.  Leave it on as it adds flavor. You can always trim it off on your plate if you don't want to eat it.

2) I would definitely cook it on your pellet grill.  You can't beat the flavor!

3) We cook them in our MAK anywhere between 250° - 275°.  After doing several, I prefer 275° - plenty of smoke still, doesn't take too awful long, and it gets a good enough crust that you don't really need to sear.  The MOST important thing is to be absolutely sure to LET IT REST for a good minimum 30 - 35 minutes, tented with foil (tented, not wrapped) before slicing it.

4) At 250° - 275° it will take around 2 1/2 - 3 hours.  DON'T forget the rest!

Here's one we did a few years ago, and here's the post with more pics: Whole N.Y. Strip Loin

Did I mention to be sure and let it rest?  ;)

Cliff

Thank you for the information.  When I did the standing rib roast last year I pulled at 126 IT and it was just how we like it, so for this one since I will be cooking at slightly higher temp i probably want to pull it a little earlier since it will rise a little more.  Maybe 124 or 122.

I let the rib roast rest for 1 hr covered loosely in foil and then put it in the oven at 500 for 8 minutes for a reverse sear and had planned on doing the same for this roast.

I was thinking that a 15lber would take longer than 2 1/2 hours even cooked at 250.

Definitely will do it on the pellet grill this year, didn't have that option 2 years ago.

Offline zueth

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 12:32:12 PM »
I couldn't believe the price either, less than $60 for a 15lb roast.

Offline Pappymn

NY Strip Roast Quesitons
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
That is a heck of a price. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109