Author Topic: Sams club ribs question  (Read 938 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Sams club ribs question
« Reply #-1 on: December 29, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
Do the spare ribs typically look like this ? I ask because I haven’t made ribs in ages. Is this just an unlucky bag of ribs I picked ? Sorry for a newb question but I know you guys are the pro’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Dave R.

Re: Sams club ribs question
« on: December 29, 2018, 08:47:34 AM »
They look pretty darn good to me.
MAK #3591

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
Not sure if you have a recipe you intend to follow but if not here is one to consider. Keeping in mind the ingredients can be substituted to your liking, but the process and temperatures are going to yield a very good product. Take a photo or two and post up with your results.
http://howtobbqright.com/?s=spare+ribs
MAK #3591

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:47:19 AM »
Do the spare ribs typically look like this ? I ask because I haven’t made ribs in ages. Is this just an unlucky bag of ribs I picked ?

What you have Lemonhead is a full rack of spare ribs untrimmed. I've cooked one or two full racks in the past but I prefer the St. Louis Cut these days. Here's a really good article that explain (with lots of photos) how to trim pork spareribs into a St. Louis-Style cut ... https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/how-to-trim-pork-spare-ribs-st-louis-style.html ... You can still smoke/cook the full rack of spare ribs the way it is. It will turn out OK. Just be careful with the cartilage when eating.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 03:19:59 PM »
Personally, I prefer to buy the whole rack and trim it as smoker pete suggests. Then I serve the St. Louis ribs and "forget" to say anything about the "leftover" trim (rib tips, brisket meat, etc.). That's mine - sort of a secret chef's bonus that no one misses if you don't tell them. There are a ton of recipes for using the tips and other trim for appetizers, seasoning for beans, and on and on.

Enjoy the bounty.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
I'm with the Turtle on this one.  A full rack of spares has lots of delicious meat that really isn't "rib" but that is still very tasty when properly used.

To trim into St. Louis ribs, cut off the "flap" that is obvious then with your finger, find the line of joints that run through the rack lengthwise parallel to the factory cut side.  A boning knife will easily allow you to remove the excess "non-rib" meat and you'll have a nice, squared up St. Louis rack.

Rub and smoke the flap and extra meat at the same time you're doing the ribs but monitor the temperature carefully because it will often cook faster than the boned rack and dry out.  Shoot for an internal temp on it of around 180.  Since it usually has less internal fat than the boned portion it may be a little chewier but still has lots of porky flavor.  Use it in beans, slice it for sandwiches, gnaw on it for a snack, whatever you'd like.

Individual Sam's Clubs vary but sometimes you can get the meat department to do this job for you.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pappymn

Sams club ribs question
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:50:29 PM »
I'm with the Turtle on this one.  A full rack of spares has lots of delicious meat that really isn't "rib" but that is still very tasty when properly used.

To trim into St. Louis ribs, cut off the "flap" that is obvious then with your finger, find the line of joints that run through the rack lengthwise parallel to the factory cut side.  A boning knife will easily allow you to remove the excess "non-rib" meat and you'll have a nice, squared up St. Louis rack.

Rub and smoke the flap and extra meat at the same time you're doing the ribs but monitor the temperature carefully because it will often cook faster than the boned rack and dry out.  Shoot for an internal temp on it of around 180.  Since it usually has less internal fat than the boned portion it may be a little chewier but still has lots of porky flavor.  Use it in beans, slice it for sandwiches, gnaw on it for a snack, whatever you'd like.

Individual Sam's Clubs vary but sometimes you can get the meat department to do this job for you.

Hub
Hub, you must have missed the sign that says "Don't feed the Turtle"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:21:00 AM »
Here's a quick How-To for trimming a full rack of Spareribs:  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=9025.msg119334#msg119334

Like the turtle said, don't throw away the trimmings!   The rib tips, cooked alongside the ribs, are just plain good eating and the end flap and skirt flaps are great for stir-fry.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:58:36 AM »
Here's a quick How-To for trimming a full rack of Spareribs:  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=9025.msg119334#msg119334

Like the turtle said, don't throw away the trimmings!   The rib tips, cooked alongside the ribs, are just plain good eating and the end flap and skirt flaps are great for stir-fry.

Nice link . That explains it all . Ty
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Gunny

• Salem Or
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
I never understood why people suggest cuttin the flap off in the first place, other than makin them pretty....I'm cookin to eat not for pretty.... 8)
MAK 2 Star #2619 W/Remote Boss
Traeger Lil Tex....gone down the road
Original Traeger...bought from Joe himself