Author Topic: Evernote  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Pappymn

Evernote
« Reply #-1 on: January 12, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »
I have been using the Evernote (app and website) for almost a year.  I use it to organize all my recipes and it does a phenomenal job.  All of my recipes, whether I find them on a website, cut from a newspaper, or are shared on this forum, I can move them to Evernote.  You can also use Evernote to capture pictures of your cooks.  Everything is all in one place and shared across all my devices; Computer, iPad, or Phone in real time. NO more folders with print outs and scribbles, as I can add my own notes to all my recipes. 

Imagine logging all you cooks, with your own observations and notes, maybe some iGrill graphs, and pictures of your food all in one convenient note.

Many times I am at the store, and I can pull up Evernote to look at a recipe and see what I need to buy.

I also use it for other things besides cooking, but cooking is the majority of my stuff.  Anything you want to document and keep.....send it to Evernote.

Wanted to share my experience with a great product that is easy, awesome, and free.  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:57:21 PM by Pappymn »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Evernote
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
Funny the timing of your post...I was looking at the app. today and going to post - and ask if anyone else was using it, how they liked it, etc...
THANKS - now I will download it!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Evernote
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »
I use Evernote for just about everything. Great app.  The latest revision had some great upgrades.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline Pappymn

Evernote
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »
Funny the timing of your post...I was looking at the app. today and going to post - and ask if anyone else was using it, how they liked it, etc...
THANKS - now I will download it!

T

If you use the Chrome browser, they have an extension called Web Clipper. It grabs web pages and sends them to Evernote. It is just another awesome feature.  Not sure if they have something similar for other browsers.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
thanks for the info.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »
Gave it a try today but I must be one of the slow kids on the block because I just can't understand how to use it. This should keep me busy for a few days  ::)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:28:52 AM »
Question please. How easy is it to add what you already have to this app? I have a tried-true file that I would like to have with me.  Thanks Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

Evernote
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »
Question please. How easy is it to add what you already have to this app? I have a tried-true file that I would like to have with me.  Thanks Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

What is in the file? I have scanned things to get into Evernote. I basically cleared out my entire recipe folder by either scanning what I couldn't find again on the web, or I would look up the recipe again on the web and use the web clipper to get it into Evernote.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

Evernote
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 10:21:40 AM »
Gave it a try today but I must be one of the slow kids on the block because I just can't understand how to use it. This should keep me busy for a few days  ::)

For cooking stuff, I have a notebook for each food type. Poultry, desserts, appetizers, etc. then within the notebook, you add notes with your individual recipes. That's how I use it.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 10:30:24 AM »
...a notebook for each food type.... then within the notebook, you add notes with your individual recipes.

I do the same thing using Microsoft OneNote and then synch it (automatically) among my desktop, cell phone, and tablet.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
...a notebook for each food type.... then within the notebook, you add notes with your individual recipes.

I do the same thing using Microsoft OneNote and then synch it (automatically) among my desktop, cell phone, and tablet.

I think Evernote does that as well....But I am still reading about it. FOr those of us in a "house divided"  ( PC's and Macs NAD Android phones :D) it can get more complex....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »
I do that in MS Word, a recipe folder and a file for each category..but I have a tried-true file for the stuff that I know is good and ppl like. The best of the best kinda thing. Just wondering about converting it over. I keep it on an external drive. I had 5 hard drive crashes in college. I can backup like a b***h.
Turtle..do you make a new note for everything? I just do a Find and look for what I'm looking for. 
Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »
We all have old "old tried and true" methods I will bet...Everytime a newer and better way comes along, it forces me to learn something new. And - sometimes, it is actually a better way :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Evernote
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »
I do that in MS Word, a recipe folder and a file for each category..but I have a tried-true file for the stuff that I know is good and ppl like. The best of the best kinda thing. Just wondering about converting it over. I keep it on an external drive. I had 5 hard drive crashes in college. I can backup like a b***h.
Turtle..do you make a new note for everything? I just do a Find and look for what I'm looking for. 
Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

From what you are telling me, Evernote is for you. All your stuff would be on their servers. Copy and paste from word into Evernote Piece of cake. You can search Evernote as well, and apply tags to individual notes. Also adding pictures to your notes is very easy.

I am a paranoid back up person as well. Have tried 3 different services. Crashplan is the best I have used. Everything digital I have is auto-magically backed up every minute. Costs $60 annual for unlimited data......I have over 200 GB currently.

Yes, I do watch tech stuff pretty closely. My hobby, not my profession.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

From what you are telling me, Evernote is for you. All your stuff would be on their servers. Copy and paste from word into Evernote Piece of cake. You can search Evernote as well, and apply tags to individual notes. Also adding pictures to your notes is very easy.

I am a paranoid back up person as well. Have tried 3 different services. Crashplan is the best I have used. Everything digital I have is auto-magically backed up every minute. Costs $60 annual for unlimited data......I have over 200 GB currently.

Yes, I do watch tech stuff pretty closely. My hobby, not my profession.
So..you are paying for storage then? I have about 20 gig of storage on hotmail, I have a few accounts but with a terrabyte and backup..I think I will be fine for a while. I am unemployed due to a workmans comp injury..so I think I will wait a while. Sounds good tho. And you can sync to ipad and everything? Or can I just access it from my ipad? I have no internet connection at the campground. That is where I do most of my cooking. So I copied the file to ipad and I'm good to go without getting online.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron