Author Topic: Evernote  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Pappymn

Evernote
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 11:43:02 AM »
I do that in MS Word, a recipe folder and a file for each category..but I have a tried-true file for the stuff that I know is good and ppl like. The best of the best kinda thing. Just wondering about converting it over. I keep it on an external drive. I had 5 hard drive crashes in college. I can backup like a b***h.
Turtle..do you make a new note for everything? I just do a Find and look for what I'm looking for. 
Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

From what you are telling me, Evernote is for you. All your stuff would be on their servers. Copy and paste from word into Evernote Piece of cake. You can search Evernote as well, and apply tags to individual notes. Also adding pictures to your notes is very easy.

I am a paranoid back up person as well. Have tried 3 different services. Crashplan is the best I have used. Everything digital I have is auto-magically backed up every minute. Costs $60 annual for unlimited data......I have over 200 GB currently.

Yes, I do watch tech stuff pretty closely. My hobby, not my profession.
So..you are paying for storage then? I have about 20 gig of storage on hotmail, I have a few accounts but with a terrabyte and backup..I think I will be fine for a while. I am unemployed due to a workmans comp injury..so I think I will wait a while. Sounds good tho. And you can sync to ipad and everything? Or can I just access it from my ipad? I have no internet connection at the campground. That is where I do most of my cooking. So I copied the file to ipad and I'm good to go without getting online.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Everything you back up on Crashplan can be accessed on your iPad, but you would need an Internet connection. I do pay for storage, but this price is excellent and it is automatic....I don't have to remember to do it. Which is perfect for me.....and my bad memory.

Evernote only needs an Internet connection to sync with your other devices. I use it offline all the time I my iPad. One feature I haven't used is that you can record audio in a note......that might be too much for me, but a neat feature.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Evernote
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
I do that in MS Word...

I used to keep all my recipes in MS Word docs in a folder/subfolder hierarchy but, aside from ease in printing (which I no longer have to do since I just take my tablet or phone - both Android - into the kitchen) I didn't see any advantage.

Turtle..do you make a new note for everything?
I have a "Recipe" notebook with sections for Beef, Pork, Vegetables, Soups, etc.  Within the sections I use a page/subpage hierarchy for the actual recipes and notes. There can be several recipes on a subpage plus whatever notes I've made.  If I have notes that apply to a whole section or chapter (page), I'll put them there.  What I'm looking for is always easy to find with the search function if I don't know where it is already.

Example:

Section - Seafood
Page - Shrimp
Subpage - Scampi (might have several Scampi recipes and a bunch of marginal notes)

The free app allows 500 pages/subpages and I haven't gotten close to that.  If so, I'll look into buying the app or checking around for a new alternative.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

Re: Evernote
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 09:46:32 AM »
Most of my recipes are in Word or printed from a website as a PDF document.
They are saved to a Dropbox account accessable from any computer or smart phone.
If you need to share any document, just send a link. 
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10544659/chipotle-bacon-mac-cheese-SL%202012.pdf