Author Topic: Newbie intro  (Read 269 times)

Offline multi_smoke

Newbie intro
« Reply #-1 on: May 27, 2019, 08:28:42 AM »
Hi folks,
     I'm not a vendor. I'm just a regular meat-smokin dude. My background is that I started with
a barrel smoker with offset smoke box about twenty years ago. I later went lazy with
a Bradley analog electric smoker. After awhile, that one had seen better days and I upgraded
to the Bradley digital. Recently I had a combo wood bisquette feeding problem and heating problem.
I fixed the temp issue by following suggestions from their forum (cleaning and re-fastening contacts in
the smoke generator), and I created a little rube goldberg thing to fix the puck feeding problem.  While I
was debugging the problems with the digital smoke generator, and frankly thinking I was going to have
to buy another one, I started researching pellet smokers as I had almost bought one instead
of the Bradley back when.
    So after unexpectedly fixing the Bradley, I ended up with a new pellet smoker as well. After a good deal
of research, I chose the Camp Chef Smokepro SG 24, bronze (was on-sale). I bought this model because I liked
the idea of the slide and grill feature. That is, you pull a handle and it moves a flame retarding metal plate out of the
way so that you can get direct flame to your food, sort of. Got the 24 model because it's just my wife and I most of the time.
I'll save my first question for separate post, but I'll go on to say how I feel about these smokers.
1. Manual style barrel smoker - lots of work, but makes fantastic Q. Still to date, I made the best pork butt than
any I'd ever tasted. I can't say that for ribs or chicken or turkey or any other meat. But I just happened to fall into
the best pork bbq. I had bought a book and I'll give credit where due..."Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison.
I used their "The Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe including their Southern SOP mop. The parts that were my choice was that I
used wood charcoal, hickory wood, and cooked it as close to 180 as possible and it would fluctuate of course, and usually those smokes would go for 17 to 20 hours.
I would be up all night setting the alarm once an hour to stoke the fire and slop on some mop periodically. When it was done and after resting,
it was just heaven on earth.
    But the problem with the manual barrel smoker was that I didn't have the energy to use it very often because of the extra
work (compared to a Bradley for example). And you see that I bought two Bradleys, so obviously I like their units.
I did generally like smoked food better from my old barrel smoker and I bow to the folks who will go to the trouble each and every time (no argument there).
The Bradleys though did do a great job too and the advantage being how darned easy it is. No smoke ring though and no genuine charcoal'ish flavor, but I
made some phenomenal meals and far more often "for me" just due to ease of use. Compared to my pellet smoker, the big difference is the small amount of
wood needed for the smoke since the heating is done by electric element and the smoke generated separately. That's kind of a big deal as I'm finding with
the pellet smoker, I'm buying many lbs of pellets to do both jobs. But in comparison to my manual barrel smoker, it's still less material than buying the wood
charcoal, I guess due to density of the pellets.
    I've only smoked a few so far on the Camp Chef and I have some questions about it which is primarily why I registered with this forum.
My take so far about the pellet smoker...  It's really pretty amazing to hit that on button and listen to the fan start up and then shortly smoke
start pouring out. It's like the Bradley that way, but different. I guess I'm still amazed at this technology. I had never made a good brisket, although
I have not really given it the attention required...until now. Having said that, my wife and I are paleo folk, so we tend to cook the dreaded grass fed stuff.
I've read some bad things about trying to smoke a grass fed brisket, but I tried it anyway. I smoked the point first to about 195. It was tasty but still chewy.
I then smoked the flat by lowering the temp way down to 160 overnight and finished off between 180 and 220. It took about 23 hours for the flat. It was also very tasty and also
tender, but not juicy despite that I had mopped it and finished off in foil above 180. I wrapped it in blankets in a cooler for 90 minutes as well. Not all grass fed
meat is equal, so I'm not giving up on it, but this was a defeat compared to what I wanted. I had trimmed fat off like I saw on brisket videos. If I try again, I will
not trim any off due to the grass fed problem, just to see how that goes. I will try the point again, and cook to 205 like I did the flat. Maybe brining? Attached a pic.
Anyway, I'll finally get on with creating my thread question.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Newbie intro
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:33:07 AM »
Now thats an intro!   :D :D      Welcome from Alabama
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline multi_smoke

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 08:43:32 AM »
Yep, I'm long-winded for sure. BUT, I never do intro's and y'all asked for one.    ;D
Forum admins running off screaming into the night... "mommy make it stop !!"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
Yep, I'm long-winded for sure. BUT, I never do intro's and y'all asked for one.    ;D
Forum admins running off screaming into the night... "mommy make it stop !!"
LOL!   Can't wait to see your next post  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 09:19:12 AM »
Welcome from SE Georgia! Nice introduction! Check out Tomrcete1 in the video section. He has loads of experience with the Camp Chef pellet grill. Here is the link to his section: https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?board=100.0

Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 09:41:17 AM »
Welcome from the Wisconsin Lakeshore.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline multi_smoke

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »
Welcome from SE Georgia! Nice introduction! Check out Tomrcete1 in the video section. He has loads of experience with the Camp Chef pellet grill. Here is the link to his section: https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?board=100.0
Thanks Mike,
     will do.

Offline multi_smoke

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 10:08:22 AM »
Welcome from the Wisconsin Lakeshore.
Thanks. Good handle.    ;)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 10:10:24 AM »
Welcome from North Carolina.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline multi_smoke

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 10:26:42 AM »
Welcome from North Carolina.

Art

Thank you and I didn't mention, but I'm from North Central Florida.
We've got hot figured out this week. A/C is my friend.

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »
Welcome from Southeast Texas!
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline rwalters

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »
Welcome to LTBBQ!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »
Welcome from Houston.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 06:57:07 PM »
Welcome from Minnesota

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 03:08:10 AM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS