Author Topic: Fun Weber kettle/brisket article  (Read 963 times)

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Fun Weber kettle/brisket article
« on: July 11, 2019, 09:26:40 AM »
Great read.

I have always said that the best brisket I have ever made was on a Weber kettle. I did not use the snake method however. Just one of the Weber charcoal baskets.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »
Great read.

I have always said that the best brisket I have ever made was on a Weber kettle. I did not use the snake method however. Just one of the Weber charcoal baskets.
From simplicity to results the Weber kettle is a tough all-around cooker to beat :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 01:28:25 PM »
The weber kettle can cook anything.  Snake method is great.  1 x 2, 2 x 2, 2 x 3 will determine how hot  the temp will run.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
The weber kettle can cook anything.  Snake method is great.  1 x 2, 2 x 2, 2 x 3 will determine how hot  the temp will run.
From your experience, what kind of temp will each of those snake builds give you on a 26 kettle?

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »
1 x 2 = 225, 2 x 2 = 250, 2 x 3 = 275.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 04:11:34 PM »
1 x 2 = 225, 2 x 2 = 250, 2 x 3 = 275.
Thanks, Gus! :)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 04:21:46 PM »
What I like about the snake method over the SnS is ever time you open the kettle with the SnS your temp goes up (more oxygen). With the snake method it doesn't because your only burning the snake.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 04:36:46 PM »
What I like about the snake method over the SnS is ever time you open the kettle with the SnS your temp goes up (more oxygen). With the snake method it doesn't because your only burning the snake.
Although I have never tried the snake, I can absolutely see what you are saying in my mind. +1 for the snake... lol.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »
It also seems that the snake would provide super stable temps for the duration of a long low n slow... even more so than the SnS. Has that been your experience? Also, what’s the longest you have left a snake burn unattended? Have you done overnight cooks, with no temp control device, using the snake?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »
What would the bottom vent be set at for the snake method Spark??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
It also seems that the snake would provide super stable temps for the duration of a long low n slow... even more so than the SnS. Has that been your experience? Also, what’s the longest you have left a snake burn unattended? Have you done overnight cooks, with no temp control device, using the snake?

16 hours on a snake and overnight.  No temp control.   Very, very stable temps.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
What would the bottom vent be set at for the snake method Spark??

Just a tad on the bottom vent..  Once it stabilizes control the temp up or down with the top vent.  My 26 was my favorite smoker.  Still want a 22 wsm.  I use a 14 or 18 charcoal ring on the 22 wsm depending on what I cook. My old 22 wsm produced some of my best bbq smoked stuff ever.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 07:39:33 PM »
I just did my first Kettle Brisket on my 26 using Sparky's method (charcoal outside the WSM charcoal ring) for our annual Fourth cookout at my daughter's house.  My only regret that I think I tweaked the front leg bringing it home.  I hit a big bump in the road and the kettle halfway tipped over in the back of the POS Ford Ranger and rode 30 minutes home that way.  I haven't had a chance to look at it because I've been traveling, so it's this week's project.

It was one of my better brisket cooks, though ! ! ! 

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline rwalters

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 08:30:16 PM »
I just did my first Kettle Brisket on my 26 using Sparky's method (charcoal outside the WSM charcoal ring) for our annual Fourth cookout at my daughter's house.  My only regret that I think I tweaked the front leg bringing it home.  I hit a big bump in the road and the kettle halfway tipped over in the back of the POS Ford Ranger and rode 30 minutes home that way.  I haven't had a chance to look at it because I've been traveling, so it's this week's project.

It was one of my better brisket cooks, though ! ! ! 

BD
Nice! So what exactly did you charcoal setup look like and what temp did you cook at? How long of a burn time did you see?