Author Topic: Smoking Salmon - cold and hot together  (Read 605 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Smoking Salmon - cold and hot together
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »
So one more question for you  :).  I assume that when I smoke tuna (just caught a bunch) that the same recommendation applies to use Cure #1 if cold smoking?

Yes; Personally I'd use Cure #1 for anything I'll be cold smoking. 

I know many folks in the past have never used cure #1 for fish, BUT again it's been in recent years that the risk of botulism has reared its ugly head in cold-smoked fish!

The amount of nitrite used is so small, but the benefit of reducing any possible risk of Botulism is great!

Cliff:  It looks like you know a lot about smoking Salmon.  Can you recommend a recipe with ingredient amounts using Morton's Tender Quick?  Thanks. :)

Sorry it took so long to respond, it's been a busy week and I just now saw your question.

Tender Quick is not as flexible, but on the bag of Tender Quick there's a recipe for a ham brine.  You can add some brown sugar if you like. I'd simply use that recipe (don't worry about injecting the salmon like you would a ham) and brine the salmon for at least three hours to overnight.  Then cook up a small slice and taste. That'll tell you if you need to do a fresh water soak to remove excess salt.

Then smoke your salmon as normal.

Just to be clear on one point:

If you're NOT cold-smoking, and going straight for a Hot-Smoke (temps between 165° - 185°), then you do NOT need to use Cure #1, because you are immediately in temps that are far enough above pasteurization temps to kill any C. Botulinum bacteria fairly quickly.

The key is to kill the C. Botulinum BEFORE it can propagate and releases the toxic spores (which require much higher temps to destroy). This is why Cure #1 or straight hot-smoking works!

If unsure, then ALWAYS be safe and use the cure #1!

Hope this makes sense, and helps.  :)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Tunasearing

Re: Smoking Salmon - cold and hot together
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »
Yes makes sense, thanks