Author Topic: Pit Boss Copperhead 5 score - finally!!!!  (Read 637 times)

Offline DWard51

Pit Boss Copperhead 5 score - finally!!!!
« Reply #-1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:46:06 PM »
After missing out on the Walmart markdown earlier this year where they went for $109, I've been watching Brickseek to see if any of the Copperhead 5 Vertical Smokers were being marked down after July 4th. I finally saw one of my local stores had them discounted to $223. That's enough of a discount for me (I even thought about paying the $396 recently). I snagged the last one they had. Of course Brickseek said they had 4, but it was really only 1. Oddly enough I have not seen another marked down one anywhere since then. I finally just got lucky I guess. Works for me...

At one time I had considered the Louisiana Grill 7 branded version of this smoker, but after seeing the assembled size of a 5 in person, I can't imagine I would ever need the extra volume of the 7. The five is huge in it's own right. I got it together with a little bit of tweaking needed on the door fitment, but that seems to be a common claim in the forums. After fiddling with the hinge screws a zillion ways, the right side of the door seemed to droop just enough that the inner metal frame inside the gasket was hitting the body of the smoker. I finally saw I post in one of the forums where someone just tightened the hinges down and then lifted up on the bottom right side of the door, torquing the door counter-clockwise to slightly bend the hinge pins and door as an assembly so it fit. This worked for me. I don't recall which forum I saw that in, but if it was someone here - THANK YOU!!!!

Here is the assembled PB 5 with a full size disposable pan on one grate to illustrate the size.

First fire for the burn in...

I did a quick smoke of some jalapeno & cheddar sausages as I had to cook something, right? No photos of the sausage as it was nothing special, just the ones from Sam's Club. Sitting next to my 18.5" WSM for scale. If you took the legs off the WSM, I think it would fit inside the cook chamber of the PB 5. This thing is huge!!! Like I said, I can't imagine needing a 7 for more cooking room. Yes, I'm happy.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Pit Boss Copperhead 5 score - finally!!!!
« on: July 29, 2019, 07:17:55 PM »
Congrats! I've been eyeing that one for a while. Had I seen that deal I would've gotten one!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 09:00:27 PM »
Looks like a beauty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 03:49:53 AM »
My buddy Jumped into the smoking world recently with this one.  Took him about 2 months figure out what he wanted, and he settled on this.  Looking forward to seeing this in action
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:12:10 AM »
Looking forward to seeing how this one works out :)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »
That is a nice looking smoker.  I looked it over online...a huge box for the pellets.
I'll be watching yours with this.
Congratulations.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 09:38:35 AM »
Congrats!  I think I have put mine through enough cooks to give advice.  If you need any, don't hesitate to ask.

- I think the water pan helps if you just fill it once at the beginning of the cook when the fat hasn't started to render yet to provide its own moisture.  Not worth opening the door and loosing heat (which like any cabinet style cooker it does) to fill it again.
- There is a lot of rack space.  Getting drip collectors between the meat and the water pan and/or the floor is a must.  The little drip collector under the cooker is really small for a reason.  It is for accidents and nothing else.
- If yours is anything like mine, the display becomes pretty useless once the pit is hot and the sun is out.  You can normally just make out the internal pit temp since the numbers are big, but the small ones for the two probes sometimes disappear completely.  They actually sent me a new controller in case it was just me, but it is a PITA to replace it, so it sits waiting in case I ever really need it.  I have ran 4 probe wires (including remotes) down the door gasket with no issues.  Getting an extra set of hands to hold them in place and close the door quickly is the only issue.  Hang an oven thermometer on the top rack so you can see it easily if the display is not cooperating and also to be able to get a feel for the bottom rack to top rack temp variable.  The internal pit thermometer is all the way down under the water pan.  At the beginning of the cook the temp swing is huge since the internal one is so close to the firebox.  Once the pit has built up some residual heat and the auger is't sending new pellets to light nearly as often, the temps actually match pretty closely.
- Getting an extra probe and a cover are well worth it, and there are both available on Amazon for far less money than the branded ones.  Here are the two that are identical to the branded ones.  Looks like the cover went up from the $18 I paid for it, but still worth it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLS6ZCZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H85ZZGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Don't forget to move the pellets in the hopper towards the center or it will crater out and run you out of pellets.  I have never ran out, but I have intentionally watched to see what happens towards the end of a load, and there are a lot of pellets still on the walls while it keeps emptying the center.  I have kept mine outside with no cover except for the fabric one which speaks to the quality of the cover but also to my never having unloaded pellets between cooks.  I normally keep it about half full and not all the way in case I really need to empty them in an emergency, but that emptying method really sucks to do with any regularity.  We had one of our wettest springs ever hear, and I had no issues with wet pellets.  Even a tiny bit of moisture would hardly stop that auger.  It is a beast and can push even the longest unbroken pellets with ease.  The fire box is large too and even though I always shop van it out between cooks, it doesn't even get close to snuffing out the igniter.
- Part of the reason it doesn't fill the fire box is because unfortunately the cooker does blow ash into the chamber and a LOT ends up on the floor.  I have never had any get on the food, but I suspect you might if you don't at least keep the water pan in as a deflector of ash (and heat on low racks).
- Last thing, the warm up/shut down cycles... They are important, but can be modified a little IMO.  My method (with pellets still in the augur since I don't unload or burn them off and an empty fire box) is to turn on the unit in smoke position and after the auger stops hold down the prime for a couple of rotations more and once you start seeing smoke coming out of the fire box put the "flame tamer" and water pan back in place, turn to 350 but load the meat long before 350.  I normally load at about 200 and turn down to desired temp once at hits 300 (unless you really are cooking at 350 or higher which I have with no issues).  For shut down, I do turn back up to 350 as instructed, but like to load something that needs heated up quickly or just finish my cook with the last 10-20 minutes at 350.  It's not that important to burn off grease on the walls and floor if you are racked and panned, but the important part is that 5 minutes at 200 to burn off pellets and then waiting through that LONG cool-down before the blue light turns off completely (10 minutes or so).
- Once the blue light turns off give the grates a scraping while still hot, and leave the door open.  It will cool down to where you can put the cover back on within ~30 minutes.

It is a helluva a cooker for price vs. cooking space.  The only thing I have really noticed is that it doesn't produce a traditional bark or smokiness (on brisket wrapped or not in BP or foil) regardless of cook temp even compared to other pellet cookers.  I think it is more related to air flow than anything else.  It is not bad, just different and my wife actually likes both the smoke profile and bark even better than my stick burner.  It does produce a pretty smoke ring at low temps, slow cooks and pretty much none at hot & fast of course.

I hope my morning rant was at least a little helpful.

P.S.  The inside of the door actually wipes OK with a good amount of Windex, but I did that twice and never have done it again. :-)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 02:26:54 PM »
Cheap white vinegar wiped on the inside of the glass while it is still warm after the cook will keep the glass looking like new.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline DWard51

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.

I did notice the "Pit Boss" logo on the door is held onto the glass via a 1/4x20 stud, insulated washer and wing nut.  So I ordered a Tel-Tru BQ225 dial thermometer with a 1/4x20 stud to replace the logo with.  Under the logo is a 3" round recess obviously made for a thermometer to sit in.  I just wish I could find a quality 3" dial with 1/4" thread mount.  All the 3" I found are 1/2" NPT like what I have on my WSM. Oh well.  This is what I ordered for $28