Author Topic: Broilmaster P3N, inherited it, worth fixing up?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline RemoGaggi

Re: Broilmaster P3N, inherited it, worth fixing up?
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 04:43:49 PM »
Wow, that's a nice P3 unit.  I recently restored a D3, which is the non-stainless version of the P3.  If you ask me, I say definitely restore it.  Looks like you'll need the conversion kit (Amazon) $56; New Burner (be sure to get the aftermarket 21" burner, not the 17" replacement burner) $92; cast iron grates (I got my set from Amazon for $36; bottom wind shield about $25; knobs are about $20 ($10 each).  You'll need a new igniter ($35) and likely new ceramic briquettes ($30) or the Ceramic tiles ($60).  That puts you just under $300 and you'll have a great gasser. 

Given that I've had just about every Weber gasser out there and currently have a 6 burner Summit, I feel I can speak on this.  While the Webers are fine grills, the Broilmaster is unique in that the P3 models allow for 3 different grate levels which give you plenty of versatility.  While the burner only has 2 controls, left & right, this allows for great indirect cooking performance.  The bow tie burner is actually 2 separate burners held together by the intake pipes and you have great heat control.  If you want to run this thing on high, it gets super hot. 

This grill is not your garden variety cheap CL grill.  It is totally worth the restore and if you didn't, I'd grab that grill from you if you were anywhere near Northern California.  ;D

My 21-year old BM is my go-to gas grill even though I have a 5-year old Summit.  Here's a few pictures of mine.  Since mine was a D3 model, it had a black base and black control panel.  I ended up repainting the base and replacing the black worn out control panel with a used stainless steel control panel.  I also replaced my rotary igniter with an electric igniter, replaced the handle, and temp gauge.  I also upgraded the front shelf with a new plastic shelf. 

If you do decide to restore, get in touch with me and I can go into more detail about what I learned from my project.

Here's the BM in my truck:

It had the old wooden shelves:

Here's my BM now:
Broilmaster D3CP (Restored), Mak 1, GMG Davy Crockett, Weber Summit S-620, Kettles w/ SnS

Offline nylic76

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 04:57:45 PM »
I had a natural gas Broilmaster installed when I built my house 46 years ago.  During that time, I have replaced the grates twice, the burner once, and put a set of grillgrates on it five years ago.  It always got the job done.  Still use it but not as much as before.  I mostly use my SRG as a grill, and my Traeger now.  The body is built like a tank and will last forever, well almost.  I have enjoyed using it over the years.  I can tell you that the cast iron grates rust.  I think grillgrates would be the way to go, but that probably would increase the cost.  Does the $175 include CI grates or grillgrates.
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline horstuff

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 05:04:03 PM »
Hmm... the consensus is swinging  the other way. Interesting...

Offline RemoGaggi

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 05:58:07 PM »
I would not recommend replacing the cast iron with grill grates.  If you do so, you are giving up huge feature of 3-way height adjustable grates.  If you season the cast iron grates and keep them seasoned, they will not rust.  It just takes some work in the front end to get them seasoned. 
Broilmaster D3CP (Restored), Mak 1, GMG Davy Crockett, Weber Summit S-620, Kettles w/ SnS

Offline rwalters

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 08:20:30 PM »
@horstuff This is the guy I was trying to connect you with. I told him to get his butt over here and help a brutha out! :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline horstuff

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 01:11:14 AM »
Robb,

I am gearing up to contact your contact (are you talking about RemoGaggi?)... wanted to get a feel first of how worth it this is to pursue. Starting to sound like its worth it... next step would be how to do it.

Offline RemoGaggi

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 09:13:32 AM »
Horstuff,

Yes, it's me.  I think Robb gave you my contact info.  Feel free to contact me.  I just went through my restoration and I'm happy to discuss with you. 

Offline rwalters

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 09:15:08 AM »
Robb,

I am gearing up to contact your contact (are you talking about RemoGaggi?)... wanted to get a feel first of how worth it this is to pursue. Starting to sound like its worth it... next step would be how to do it.
Yes sir! RemoGaggi is your BM man! That didn’t sound quite right... lol.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 10:56:28 PM »

Alright...  you're getting as bad as Pappy.   I think we need to start making you pay forum dues after that one!  ;D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 09:53:26 AM »

Alright...  you're getting as bad as Pappy.   I think we need to start making you pay forum dues after that one!  ;D
3 years is what it took for me to join the ranks of Pappy! 

#feelingaccomplished

Offline RemoGaggi

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »
"BM Man"  I like it! 

Offline horstuff

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 05:11:09 PM »
I'm baaack... still don't know if Im gonna restore this thing or not. Michael was so very helpful, so i do have a complete list of what i need to buy but it'll be around $350 at least. Every time i go to the dump I think "am i gonna throw that thing on the truck?" but I never do. Sigh.

Just not sure if it's worth spending all that money on, especially because i always use my charcoal rigs, but it *would* be nice to have a gasser for big parties.