Author Topic: Food Truck?  (Read 288 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Food Truck?
« Reply #-1 on: February 15, 2020, 02:09:32 PM »
I am  thinking real hard about doing some bbq type business as a side gig and see where it goes. I have been self employed now for 12 years and have often thought about venturing out into another arena. This time with my wife running the show. If anyone here can offer tips, warnings, general advice I'd love to hear it!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Food Truck?
« on: February 15, 2020, 04:37:08 PM »
You've got to sell one whole Hell of a lot of plate lunches to pay for a $50-200K truck and all the ancillary expenses and problems and if you don't live in the tropics your market tends to shrink in winter. Might be cheaper, easier, more manageable, more profitable, and more fun to do some "niche" catering, even if you have to rent a commercial kitchen space and/or buy a few more toys tools.

Jus' sayin'.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 04:56:12 PM »
You've got to sell one whole Hell of a lot of plate lunches to pay for a $50-200K truck and all the ancillary expenses and problems and if you don't live in the tropics your market tends to shrink in winter. Might be cheaper, easier, more manageable, more profitable, and more fun to do some "niche" catering, even if you have to rent a commercial kitchen space and/or buy a few more toys tools.

Jus' sayin'.

Thanks, Ka Honu, for the input!

Although I am not in a tropical climate, I don't live in a harsh winter climate, I'm in metro Atlanta. I've been looking into renting a commercial kitchen and I don't think I'd be anywhere NEAR $200k on a truck. It's all just a thought and I do appreciate any input, even if it's not blowing smoke up my caboose :P

I also know that it takes money to make money and BBQ is at a premium these days. The prices I see charged for what people get is astounding. Catering is a good way to make money and I've got quite a few connections that I think I could get established in that but I also am no fool. I don't expect to busy from jump street!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:28:15 PM by RG »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 09:00:24 PM »
I have always said you should open a restaurant...….next best thing....go for it
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 07:35:16 PM »
I have always said you should open a restaurant...….next best thing....go for it

I appreciate the vote of confidence Rich! I am kicking it around still, weighing the good and bad, thinking about a marketing plan, calling in some favors maybe :)

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:24:46 PM »
Nowadays the young foodie crowd seem to be what they are catering to. Around here in the SF Bay, it's the ethnic and niche items that have the long lines. No BBQ found. The caterers that specialize in events like fair's, car show's and such seem to do quite well, but not food trucks. Atlanta, with the large influx of young folks from all over the US is probably not much different.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:30:17 AM by Smokin Soon »
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 09:16:04 AM »
Didn't Alex, (Vindii) go the food truck route?  Maybe he could give some insight.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 10:48:41 AM »
You can park it in our driveway if you need a place to park …...lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 02:25:11 PM »
Didn't Alex, (Vindii) go the food truck route?  Maybe he could give some insight.

Yep, he did. He has a REALLY nice food trailer that he pulls. It's top notch. The issue is that he and I are on less than favorable terms so his valuable insight is a no go unfortunately :(