Author Topic: How long will beef short ribs last in the fridge  (Read 705 times)

Offline tarnofskyb

How long will beef short ribs last in the fridge
« Reply #-1 on: May 09, 2020, 03:55:20 PM »
I have a vacuum pack of beef short rids in the fridge. I planned on smoking them, but the weather hasn't cooperated. They had a sell by date of May 5th.

How long do you think this will be good for? The 12th and 13th look like they'll be good days for cooking.  I could maybe do them tomorrow, but my wife would prefer if I didn't spend all mother's day cooking outside.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Ka Honu

Re: How long will beef short ribs last in the fridge
« on: May 09, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
If they're in the original cryovac, then they're just wet-aging for a few extra days. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In any event, they should still be good for a few more days if they pass the smell test.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 04:57:14 PM »
I have had them that long. The key is if they smell when you open them. Today is the 9th. I would throw them in the freezer now. Take them out and defrost in the fridge for a day before cooking. I have some on my smoker now that I took out of the freezer last night. They were still frozen when I put them on this morning. I'll just leave them on a little longer.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline tarnofskyb

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 05:10:44 PM »
Thank you. I took your advice and stuck them in the freezer.  Hopefully they don't smell when I go to cook them.

I hate to freeze fresh beef, but better than ruining them completely.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 02:03:01 PM »
It depends, in part, on how cold you keep your fridge.  I keep at 33ยบ because I have a French Door with ice coming out of the top compartment.  So, even thought there is a "mini-freezer" in my refrigerator compartment, if I don't keep it that cold, the ice re-freezes into a block and won't come through the chute.  I find that I can keep stuff a fairly long time.

But, if you have any concerns, you should probably freeze and re-thaw a day ahead of time like GusRobin said.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC