Author Topic: New Mexico Green Chile Season!  (Read 673 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
New Mexico Green Chile Season!
« Reply #-1 on: August 29, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
My favorite time of year around here! The first crops of Green Chile are roasting all over town. The aroma in every grocery store and farmer's market parking lot is amazing! You can buy it by the pound and take it home and roast it yourself, or have the store roast a 40 lb sack for you. They package the roasted chile in big plastic bags straight out of the roaster for you to take home to bag and freeze for the long cold winter...

Here's some I roasted myself last weekend...

Here's a 40 lb. bag resting/cooling, waiting to be packed into freezer bags. The chile "sweats" in the plastic bag while cooling, making the chiles easy to peel after they've cooled.

Yielded about 30 bags

We put this stuff on everything!

Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: New Mexico Green Chile Season!
« on: August 29, 2020, 08:41:04 PM »
The last time I was in New Mexico I had to stop and buy a 40# bag of fresh roasted chiles.  The smell was amazing!!  I took one of my coolers and stuffed it full of the roasted green chiles.  They guy told me I may never get the smell out of the cooler.  I was willing to take the chance.  We had some great green chiles after that trip. 

Art

BTW.  I didn't have to buy a new cooler.  Leaving it open after I returned home was all it took.
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 12:35:08 AM »
The season seems a bit late this year. The only place in Hawaii we can get fresh Hatch chiles is Whole Foods and they usually come in about mid-August. I expect we'll see them in a week or so and I can buy my usual 15 pounds to roast, freeze, and get me through the year. Amazingly enough, Whole Foods sells them relatively inexpensively (normally $1.99 a pound, sometimes less for a couple of sale days - the cheapest chile in Hawaii). I only wish we got the reds the following month but they don't ever seem to bring them in.

Funny story - a few years ago I was bagging my annual batch in the store and some lady asked if they were any good. I couldn't resist and said, "Actually they're awful; that's why I'm buying 15 pounds." She gave me a dirty look and walked off.

I'm excited!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Walleyewacker

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
Chile time ranks right up there with BLT’S with home grown tomato’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 09:21:09 PM »

Started a pot of beef stock this morning, low and slow simmer, tossing in whatever we had handy throughout the day. Added some green chile, and this happened...

Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 11:10:45 PM »
Nothing like that up here but my wife is making Salsa etc.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.