Author Topic: This could be a game-changer  (Read 953 times)

Offline Jaxon

This could be a game-changer
« Reply #-1 on: November 19, 2020, 11:00:24 AM »
This article revolutionized the way I see myself.

Kurt Vonnegut:
“When I was 15, I spent a month working on an archeological dig. I was talking to one of the archeologists one day during our lunch break and he asked those kinds of “getting to know you” questions you ask young people: Do you play sports? What’s your favorite subject? And I told him, no I don’t play any sports. I do theater, I’m in choir, I play the violin and piano, I used to take art classes.
And he went WOW. That’s amazing! And I said, “Oh no, but I’m not any good at ANY of them.”
And he said something then that I will never forget and which absolutely blew my mind because no one had ever said anything like it to me before: “I don’t think being good at things is the point of doing them. I think you’ve got all these wonderful experiences with different skills, and that all teaches you things and makes you an interesting person, no matter how well you do them.”
And that honestly changed my life. Because I went from a failure, someone who hadn’t been talented enough at anything to excel, to someone who did things because I enjoyed them. I had been raised in such an achievement-oriented environment, so inundated with the myth of Talent, that I thought it was only worth doing things if you could “Win” at them.”
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: This could be a game-changer
« on: November 19, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »
Jaxon we all think you are very talented
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:28:10 PM »
Jaxon we all think you are very talented
X2    :thumbup: 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 04:29:49 PM »
Jaxon, you are looking in a mirror and not seeing your "talent", but we are all looking at you and admiring your talent, success, and achievements in life. I can't tell you how many times I have been sitting around and thinking how much I envy you for how your life is going. Kurt Vonnegut is a wise man. 

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »
Jaxon, you are looking in a mirror and not seeing your "talent", but we are all looking at you and admiring your talent, success, and achievements in life. I can't tell you how many times I have been sitting around and thinking how much I envy you for how your life is going. Kurt Vonnegut is a wise man.

I could not have said it better Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »
Y'all, I am looking at this as a very positive thing, not as though I have no skills.  I recognize the things I do well, not as poor me I can't do anything well.
Look at this again - “I don’t think being good at things is the point of doing them. I think you’ve got all these wonderful experiences with different skills, and that all teaches you things and makes you an interesting person, no matter how well you do them.”
I used to play the guitar and sing with a few friends.  I couldn't play as well as most of my friends, but that isn't the point.  While I was doing that, it was a great experience for me and remember those times as some of my best experiences.
I played golf for  a few years.  I was always the high score in the group, but I had as much fun as they did because it was a great experience being out there with folks.
I flew an ultralight airplane for awhile.  It was the cheapest plane in our club and I couldn't fly as fast or as far as the others, but it didn't take away from the thrill I got every time I took off and especially when I landed.
I realize that I am a good cook and lots of folks enjoy the food I prepare.  Could I impress a bbq judge? I don't think so.  But there again, that's not the point.  I have that feeling of fulfillment when I am able to serve some good food. 
I am learning to enjoy the experience for what it is - not put it on some kind of grading system. 
<><

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 06:47:43 PM »
What a great life philosophy.  Live life and enjoy it for itself.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 07:17:11 PM »
... I recognize the things I do well, not as poor me I can't do anything well... I am learning to enjoy the experience for what it is - not put it on some kind of grading system.

That's certainly a philosophy to which we all might aspire. Not being able to maintain as upbeat and positive an attitude as Jack does, however, I worded my version a bit differently - "By consistently setting low standards for myself I have exceeded my own and others' expectations more often than I otherwise would have." While not as positive and upbeat as the Jaxon version, it's worked so far.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »
What a great life philosophy.  Live life and enjoy it for itself.

BD

Yessir, that's what I mean...
<><

Offline Roget

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 11:44:42 PM »
"A man's got to know his limitations.'  Dirty Harry Callahan.  ;D ;D
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 12:15:01 PM »

Boy i agree with that...my book could be 100 pages...just kidding......you got to enjoy everyday
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »

Every man has limitations, but we also struggle with perceived limitations.  Those are killer because we could probably do more for ourselves AND more for others if we were not handcuffed (a little dirty Harry lingo) this way. 
If I thought, "I could never play golf like "they" do, I would never get the clubs and give 'em a whack.  That limitation didn't hold me back. I whacked and whacked my way down the fairway.  And I had a lot of fun with my friends ( a couple of them were whackers, too).
Don't let perceived limitations hold you back from some great experiences and good memories.
To quote the bard, "The saddest words known unto men are those that read what might have been."

Now, back to our regularly schedule forum discussions...
<><

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 02:03:57 AM »
I whacked and whacked my way down the fairway.

Jaxon, you must be a better golfer than me because I whacked and whacked my way down the rough and woods. I don't remember ever seeing the fairway. I still had fun with my friends and it was a beautiful day.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 11:11:21 AM »
... I don't remember ever seeing the fairway.

You didn't miss anything - the "fairway" is a strip of short, wimpy grass and dirt in the middle of the course where sissies hang out so they don't get their plus fours dirty. "Real men" go straight for the aptly named "rough" in order to better display their masculine prowess while battling the evil orb.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 03:01:03 PM »
Your a hell of a cook dude.  Your skills on that flat top is great. I have always admired your skills.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66