Author Topic: Getting Back to Cooking Some.......  (Read 840 times)

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Getting Back to Cooking Some.......
« Reply #-1 on: November 23, 2020, 10:36:57 AM »

Haven't been on here in over a week now I believe. A little over two weeks ago my brother in law(husband of the sister-in-law that passed away on the first of this month) was rushed to the hospital having difficulty breathing(they lived in Arizona). The next morning he was diagnosed with pneumonia and Covid. A few days later he was put in ICU on a ventilator. For a few days he was stable, not worse but not better either. Last Wednesday they discovered a blood clot in his foot. Friday they did surgery for the blood clot and that afternoon they couldn't stop the bleeding and HE passed away.  Between these two a friend from high school passed away and I went to his funeral last Wednesday. I've about had it with deaths!!!! The BIL and SIL's funeral will be a double funeral that will be an extremely sad day but because they are out of state and being interred here in New Orleans it will be about 6 weeks before that can happen. Already the beginning of next year is not looking good.

So I'm sure many can understand not really being in the mood to cook. We've been doing pretty much simple cooking like breakfast(and I do mean basic breakfast), frozen pizza and thawed foods from the freezer. Nevertheless we had to celebrate my granddaughter's 4 year birthday Saturday and my only son's birthday yesterday. He requested fajitas and a tiramisu for birthday cake.  I was pretty busy spinning in circles grilling the chicken and beef while heating tortillas on the Blackstone. Only got a couple of pictures of the chicken on the grill and the tiramisu.

The bottom chicken breast looks burned but it was only well charred. Lol..... These came out better than I thought they would!

The dessert/cake!

Looks soft.... I think we had it sitting out of the fridge too long before serving.

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Lines

Re: Getting Back to Cooking Some.......
« on: November 23, 2020, 11:44:04 AM »
Man Cajunate, sorry to hear about all the sadness. My sister and her family have had their share of troubles in the past 2 years also. Too many cases to try to list here. 2020 has been a rough SOB for a lot of people.
As for the chicken, That is exactly the way I prefer mine. A good char is king in my book.

Offline Bill2112

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 12:21:51 PM »
so sorry to here of your losses, it's been a trying year for all of us, but we will see the light at the end of the tunnel soon, great to see you haven't lost your cooking prowess, love tiramisu, wish I could make one like that!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 02:05:38 PM »
Cajun... - I am at loss as to what to say....I am sorry to hear just fails to convey my sympathy, but I hope you find brighter days ahead.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:06:27 PM »
Nate, I hate it for you, brother.  You know Stephanie and I think the world of you and I am deeply saddened that you're having to go through this. On top of everything that is already going on in this crazy world, this is just terrible that your family has to deal with this. I pray for you and your family and I can't wait for 2020 to be gone, let's all hope for a much better future.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Lines

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 11:21:05 AM »
I can't wait for 2020 to be gone, let's all hope for a much better future.
Hope and Pray, .........daily.

Offline Walleyewacker

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »
Sorry to hear of the losses and pray for you all
The chicken and treats are spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 10:25:03 AM »

Thanks guys!
I'm not optimistic for the new year but life goes on. Some changes are that we are able to have my brother-in-law transferred next week and my sister-in-law was cremated on Tuesday so we will be able to have services next Saturday.

I did manage to do some more cooking but just haven't had the time to post much.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill