Author Topic: Gonna do a free range dry brined turkey this year Suggestions?  (Read 736 times)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Gonna do a free range dry brined turkey this year Suggestions?
« Reply #-1 on: November 24, 2020, 04:54:18 PM »
Picked up a fresh 18 lb free range turkey this year from the local turkey farm.  Gonna do a dry brine for the first time, have done we brines before, anyone have any experience/suggestions with dry brining?  Some recipes call for leaving uncovered in fridge for up to 3 days, others say start out covered for 2 days, uncovered for one.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Ka Honu

Don't know nothin' about no fancy or free-range birds but I started my usual "buy the cheapest available and make sure you don't cook any of the plastic stuff" turkey about 8PM yesterday (Monday) so I guess I'm a two-then-one dry briner (actually 48 hours in Saran wrap and 8-12 hours uncovered, all in the fridge).

I'm doing a 14-pounder and used about 3 tablespoons of salt plus a bunch of (homemade, salt-free) Cajun seasoning. That's always been enough for inside cavity, under skin, and outside (and no need to rinse any salt off before cooking).

That's all I know about dry-brining turkey - hope yours turns out well.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline bamabob

Re: Gonna do a free range dry brined turkey this year Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:32:39 PM »
so I guess I'm a two-then-one dry briner (actually 48 hours in Saran wrap and 8-12 hours uncovered, all in the fridge).
That's all I know about dry-brining turkey - hope yours turns out well.

Thanks, I was debating whether to start out covered then uncover at the end.  Read recipes and watched YouTube videos where it is done each way.  We went with the uncovered, went in today (Tuesday arournd 1PM) will come out Thursday around 9am.  I'm beginning to think we need to wrap it until Wednesday evening.  Thinking the salt may draw the moisture out and the moisture will evaporate or run off before it is reabsorbed.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »
Now you're starting to talk "science" so anything I say should be immediately suspect. As I understand it (or not), the last several hours uncovered gives the skin a chance to dry out so it crisps better. I guess that's somewhat akin to leaving your steak uncovered in the fridge (with or without salt depending on which school you attended) for several hours before bringing to room temp for grilling.

Offline bamabob

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 10:12:12 PM »
The dry skin that gets crisp is what we're going for.  Just concerned that too long uncovered may result in dry everything.  Guess we'll find out Thursday afternoon!

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 10:18:51 PM »
If you're concerned, throw a little butter under the skin before you cook. I'd recommend sweet (unsalted) butter since you've already salted enough.  You can make a compound butter if you didn't include flavorings with the dry brine (or even if you did).

Offline bamabob

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:20:29 AM »
Thanks, good idea.  Butter makes everything better!

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline bamabob

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
Update.  My concerns about doing a dry brine uncovered for the 2.5 days were proven wrong.  Turkey came out really moist and tender. 

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4