Author Topic: Ok I read a story that said Canned Cranberry sauce is the worst part of the  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Ok I read a story that said Canned Cranberry sauce is the worst part of the
« Reply #-1 on: November 25, 2020, 01:35:11 PM »
Thanksgiving meal.

OK IMO I love it but I also love the homemade sauce too. We have both. Barbara now makes it with monk fruit or Agave & it still tastes good.

So i first passed this on to some of my boating friends & I found out like myself they also loved that can sauce.

What do you all think?

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a29892911/thanksgiving-food-instacart-survey/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=socialflowFBDEL&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1CxlhiY5otOwnIhNgI9zQddSrbHmkV_vJkfbDIID6b4gwVGo2T_Du-C84
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:37:14 PM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
We all like what we like.  I ate canned cranberry sauce for years until I met my wife, she uses fresh cranberries.  No going back for me.  No comparison IMO.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Had canned all my life. 

Heck I thought it grew like that, now I find out it does not?   Dang, so next you will tell me the Easter Bunny is not real  :(       
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:33:10 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

The Turkey Terrific Sandwich created on Nantucket says the canned is the only way to make it. They say that the real ruins it!   Go Figure
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Had canned all my life. 

Heck In thought it grew like that, now I find out it does not?   Dang, so next you will tell me the Easter Bunny is not real  :(       

The Easter Bunny not real...who said that!!!!!!My basket is full every Easter.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
These people that look down their noses on other folk because WE LOVE our canned SPLORK ( cranberry sauce) are a bunch of horse's @$$es.

Yep...that is pretty much how a I feel. Now, ...will you please pass the canned cranberry sauce?..... 8)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

Cranberry sauce? Who eats cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is for TURKEY, DRESSING, & GRAVY (unless you're Tommy). I must admit though that SWMBO's daughter makes a killer cranberry relish with serrano chilies and some other stuff. I might have a little bit along with my TURKEY, DRESSING, & GRAVY but tend to save most of it for breakfast the next morning.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
I like the canned sauce on sandwiches.  I do, however, like my homemade cranberry sauce with Grand Marnier and tequila.  Tasty!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Not to start a fight over this issue, but anything canned vs fresh made is a no brainer.  We have always used fresh cranberries and there is no comparison to canned.  It just takes more time to make vs opening a can.  You need to try it with a good recipe.

Funny but I love both. I will have both tomorrow lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana

I'm in the "Love Both" category. I made my fresh cranberry sauce this past weekend. I usually add a good splash of Grand Marnier but had none this time so I used some Cointreau.
I have a nephew who when he was a kid he would eat a whole can of cranberry sauce by himself. Lol..... I joke with him occasionally about this and a few years back when he came over for Thanksgiving and gave him a whole can to eat for himself.  He still loves it! I do love sliced canned cranberry on a sandwich.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

I'm in the "Love Both" category. I made my fresh cranberry sauce this past weekend. I usually add a good splash of Grand Marnier but had none this time so I used some Cointreau.
I have a nephew who when he was a kid he would eat a whole can of cranberry sauce by himself. Lol..... I joke with him occasionally about this and a few years back when he came over for Thanksgiving and gave him a whole can to eat for himself.  He still loves it! I do love sliced canned cranberry on a sandwich.

We don't put the booze into it but that sounds good. The homemade has a kick & the canned is sweeter that is why I like both . did it again yesterday. We also put some in our stuffing
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana

We don't put the booze into it but that sounds good. The homemade has a kick & the canned is sweeter that is why I like both . did it again yesterday. We also put some in our stuffing

In the next day I will post my recipe for homemade cranberry sauce for you to try. The alcohol isn't discernible as it cooks out with the heat of the sugar and cranberries.

I forgot to mention that when I made ours(I did two pounds of berries)I made a separate pint jar with a sweet/heat of diced jalapenos. About 8 or 10 years ago I was into growing peppers and making homemade pepper sauces and relishes and decided to make a spicy cranberry sauce. Pretty darn good! My favorite was a blood orange and habanero hot sauce. That was some great hot sauce!!!!! Sort of got away from growing peppers and my blood orange tree died from a freeze we had a few years ago. Sad day when I had to cut it down.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

In the next day I will post my recipe for homemade cranberry sauce for you to try. The alcohol isn't discernible as it cooks out with the heat of the sugar and cranberries.

I forgot to mention that when I made ours(I did two pounds of berries)I made a separate pint jar with a sweet/heat of diced jalapenos. About 8 or 10 years ago I was into growing peppers and making homemade pepper sauces and relishes and decided to make a spicy cranberry sauce. Pretty darn good! My favorite was a blood orange and habanero hot sauce. That was some great hot sauce!!!!! Sort of got away from growing peppers and my blood orange tree died from a freeze we had a few years ago. Sad day when I had to cut it down.

Sorry about t he tree. Yours sounds good
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
The Turkey Terrific Sandwich created on Nantucket says the canned is the only way to make it. They say that the real ruins it!   Go Figure

So they're saying the canned isn't real?  Just what we need, more laboratory food.  What's next canned turkey vs. the "real" thing?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:23:29 PM by bamabob »
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4