Author Topic: Ok I read a story that said Canned Cranberry sauce is the worst part of the  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Ka Honu

What's next canned turkey vs. the "real" thing?

Already available. It's called "tofurkey" and will decompose in a landfill in only 237 years.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Tailgating is my game

The Turkey Terrific Sandwich created on Nantucket says the canned is the only way to make it. They say that the real ruins it!   Go Figure

So they're saying the canned isn't real?  Just what we need, more laboratory food.  What's next canned turkey vs. the "real" thing?

I think what they mean is texture & the sweet taste.  They have tried it both ways.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Roget

I'm not a big fan of cranberries in any form, but V loves the canned sauce. we always have a few cans of it in the pantry. She will eat it right out of the can.
My Mama always made cranberry salad fresh, but I haven't had it that way since her passing many years ago.  :(
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

I'm not a big fan of cranberries in any form, but V loves the canned sauce. we always have a few cans of it in the pantry. She will eat it right out of the can.
My Mama always made cranberry salad fresh, but I haven't had it that way since her passing many years ago.  :(

Like V I like it out of the can too. Also, like apple sauce we like it on other foods.....like chicken & Lamb
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Hub

I read this entire thread with interest because I cannot handle Splork but do like cranberry relish.  The friend who usually provides this for our table was absent this year so between the wife and I we created a substitute with real cranberries, an orange, and a little sugar -- no recipe.  It was better than Splork but still had serious taste and texture issues. 

Anybody got a good, easy, minimal ingredients recipe OR a way to make Splork edibile?

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana

Here's what I use......

Cranberry Rellish/Sauce

1 lb Fresh cranberries
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Orange juice
Peel of 1 orange
1 Cup walnuts or pecans(preferably toasted)
5 Tbsp. Orange or Apricot Liquor (I prefer to use a good quality liquor for this like Grand Marnier or Cointreau for orange flavor).

Using a deep pot, cook cranberries for 10 minutes on medium high. Watch carefully! If needed add 1/4 cup of plain water to get them cooking and popping open. 
Add the peel of the one orange, the pecans or walnuts and the liquor. When adding the liquor it with splash due to the alcohol content so step back. Let this all simmer about 3 minutes then remove from heat and pour into prepared canning jars or other glass container.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Ka Honu

... a way to make Splork edibile...

Always correct answer (not unlike "Bacon makes everything better"): Drown it in gravy.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
I LOVE Spork. But then again.....I rarely meet food that I cannot find reason to love.... :D I also really appreciate the cranberry relishes with citrus zest and such. The Mrs. usually makes some so she does not have to eat my Oceanspray gourmet canned cranberry sauce..... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

I LOVE Spork. But then again.....I rarely meet food that I cannot find reason to love.... :D I also really appreciate the cranberry relishes with citrus zest and such. The Mrs. usually makes some so she does not have to eat my Oceanspray gourmet canned cranberry sauce..... :D

Tee you can always come to our house to have some from a can. Our pantry has a few in stock lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Ka Honu

Cranberry Relish is popular here. I grew up in New England so I have heard of it but We have always had traditional NE style. Plain I guess.

But my Grandma always put whiskey in our fruit cup as kids....with sherbet......You got to get your kick from somewhere lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Okay, for the best of both worlds, just take some fresh cranberries and equal amount of high fructose corn syrup and bring to a boil.  Once cooked place in blender and blend until smooth. Would you do that? 
Now everyone that tries to avoid high fructose corn syrup look at your canned sauce and tell me what the main ingredients is. (besides cranberries) 

Make your own heart disease and diabetes without leaving the house.  Please, try home made with sugar substitutes and leave the processed canned foods behind.  Get used to the naturally tart, make it as sweet as you like using monk fruit or stevia.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Ka Honu

SWMBO's daughter's killer recipe for cranberry relish...

12oz bag of fresh cranberries
    1/2 c orange juice
    1/2c water
    1/2 c sugar
    1-2 serrano peppers finely diced
    1/2 bunch cilantro diced

Saute diced peppers in butter for a few minutes until softened. Add juice, water, sugar, on med heat until sugar is dissolved. Add cranberries and simmer until they pop and thicken, about 10-12 minutes. Add cilantro and stir in for about 1 minute. Remove from heat, let cool, and serve.

My work here is done.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
SWMBO's daughter's killer recipe for cranberry relish...

12oz bag of fresh cranberries
    1/2 c orange juice
    1/2c water
    1/2 c sugar
    1-2 serrano peppers finely diced
    1/2 bunch cilantro diced

Saute diced peppers in butter for a few minutes until softened. Add juice, water, sugar, on med heat until sugar is dissolved. Add cranberries and simmer until they pop and thicken, about 10-12 minutes. Add cilantro and stir in for about 1 minute. Remove from heat, let cool, and serve.

My work here is done.

Not a cranberry lover but I'd try this!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!