Author Topic: Bought a Portable Freezer & Fridge from Setpower UPDATE  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Bought a Portable Freezer & Fridge from Setpower UPDATE
« Reply #-1 on: April 12, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
UPDATE : I lost power this summer for 5.5 hours & it was in freezer mode. Things were still frozen on that 73 degree day. It has been running straight for months & works like a charm

I have looked at these for years but the first generation from the top companies were so much money & my need was not that great that it was considered a toy in my eyes.......but wait Boys & their toys.   

OK so a few years go by & I see units (Alpicool etc) that cost less then the big brands but get great reviews on Amazon & eBay as well as others. I buy the boat that is only 12 volts but i get free Ice where I am ,,,so again no portable fridge/freezer.

So now this semi new company comes out called Setpower....HHMMMM I take a look......the fires burn again.

Now do i need a 13 QT, 21QT or a 31 or larger.....again $$$$$ I cant buy four of them...why the bigger one because of power outages that we get a few times a year.

Price is good but not good enough lol & what size.

So now as far as I can tell the setpower is the new low price leader with good reviews.

Then they come out with a lower price line that also gets great reviews

One company on EBay offers if you but two they give you a good discount & run a special

So my brain says buy the 13 Qt for day trips & the 21 QT for weekends & when I need it I have the popular 34 QT for power outages by using two at a time.

OK the review lol

Packaging ***** two boxes plus Styrofoam
Looks ***** amazing a nice gray color with white trim
Sound ***** OK my old ears may not be what they were but it is hard to hear when it is on
Instructions ****1/2  Really Good

Easy to use ***** four buttons
Cooling ***** Got to the temp of 35 in a few minutes & my soda was ice cold within an hour or less.

OK a quick break here. What they did (low price model) is the compressor gets down to O degrees instead of -4F like the better Setpower & others do so I figured that freezing would not be great on this unit.

Freezing ***** I put a single 16 Oz yogurt cup 80% filled with water in the unit last night & surprise it was frozen solid this morning ....A real surprise.....I had set the unit to 15 F to make up for the colder garage at 59F. So that I have more power if I need it in a warm boat.

Lasting temp with power off ** OK a weakness maybe! after six hours off the temp inside was 44F. If others out there have a portable fridge freezer they may keep things colder longer. Also, if I had a full freezer maybe things would have stayed colder as the ice started to melt

Memory ***** knock out the power (Happens in a marina often) & put the power back on & the unit turns back on & it remembers the temp & settings it last had......great move

Lasting power/quality. ?????time will tell as it seems well made & had thought put into it.

OK it draws 45 watts or less when it has reached its set temp. I have heard it may draw a little more when first on. Now remember the motor is not always running so it won't use up your entire battery all at once.

You can run these things with third party portable batteries & solar if you want to.

What features it does not have are USB charging of phones, Bluetooth, & there are one or two battery units that are $$$$$. Also I have seen some bigger ones with wheels & pulling handles. I should say some come with trays & a bottom drain as far as the drain on units this size I don't see a need. one thing about capacity is that you don't put ice in these units so smaller holds more. That being said Set Power & others make units with drains that are also coolers a nice option but with me I think I could put freezer packs in if needed.

My units charge extra for the 110 volt plug as the 12 volt is standard.

So for a couple of days I am more then happy with my new toy I mean necessity (my wife is near). I will give it five stars as the only negative may .......be the holding temps when off, In a perfect world it would be nice to turn it off at night to save power. But i wont know this until I hear back from others.

These units do need defrosting from time to time but it is too soon for me to tell how often.

I would like to hear from others that have these or any questions you may have?

If you see my wife remember NECESSITY!!

Cost was $123 for the 13 & $139 for the 21 plus free shipping & two years on the Compressor warranty & one year on the other parts.  Shipping was free & their was a discount for buying two off of those prices
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 03:08:05 PM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Bought a Portable Freezer & Fridge from Setpower
« on: April 13, 2021, 03:53:06 AM »
Please report back on battery life per charge  would be something good as we tend to lose power once or twice a year.  We are near a local airstrip so we tend to get it back quickly but there are times when it is not quick enough for the wife.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 11:16:57 AM »
Please report back on battery life per charge  would be something good as we tend to lose power once or twice a year.  We are near a local airstrip so we tend to get it back quickly but there are times when it is not quick enough for the wife.

It will take time as our summer will be six weeks away at this point. But again this unit as are most run off of a vehicle power, solar, or house hold. As I said there are high price units that do have batteries but they are bigger & more money. You may want a bigger unit if it is too backup a full freezer or Fridge.

My main use is travel & not having wet sandwiches etc from melting ice etc.

Here is short video on the larger of my two units that I dont have at this point. It will give you an idea of its power use & size.

The bottom line is there are many choices out there...something for everyone.

Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 11:33:20 AM »
I think this guy is the Tomcrete of Portable fridge/freezers lol

This one is a bigger Setpower unit

Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 04:03:38 PM »
Another new review that I go along with. I think the only thing I wish for is that it held the temp inside longer but that could be true with the others too.  So far It is *****'s for the machine. Just got the bigger one in so I will see how that ones compares.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:23:34 PM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline stalag

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 06:16:52 PM »
Due to my food allergy, I have an Engel freezer/fridge that I stuff when I travel.  Food can be an issue when I am visiting people and if they are unaware, I can get very ill.  In the reviews I found the Engel line seems to be the toughest available.

Link to the item I own currently.  Yes I have it on 120V use currently.  It also works nicely in my car.

https://engelcoolers.com/collections/powered-fridge-freezers/products/mr40-overland-fridge
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 09:28:26 PM »
Due to my food allergy, I have an Engel freezer/fridge that I stuff when I travel.  Food can be an issue when I am visiting people and if they are unaware, I can get very ill.  In the reviews I found the Engel line seems to be the toughest available.

Link to the item I own currently.  Yes I have it on 120V use currently.  It also works nicely in my car.

https://engelcoolers.com/collections/powered-fridge-freezers/products/mr40-overland-fridge

I agree one of the top three units but just out of my price range but I am in love with these products in general. besides drinks they keep meat frozen & sandwiches dry when camping or out at the store shopping. I see many uses for these. One guy bought frozen meat across the country from a shopping trip.  I can use a cooler for drinks & these for food without being worried about drowning it in cooler water
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 09:37:45 PM »

[/quote

I am interested if you have tested it in the heat with the power off? that is the only question I have on my unit but in all fairness I have just tested it with one small container of frozen water. a full freezer last longer in the house. for $139.00 for the 21 & 123.00 for the 13 qt plus two unit discount I am very happy. Why with the power off it would allow you to keep it off at night to save power.

Even small boats/RV's with a small fridge can use these for freezers since the others are very small or second fridges.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline stalag

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 11:44:27 PM »

Quote from: Tailgating is my game
I am interested if you have tested it in the heat with the power off? that is the only question I have on my unit but in all fairness I have just tested it with one small container of frozen water. a full freezer last longer in the house. for $139.00 for the 21 & 123.00 for the 13 qt plus two unit discount I am very happy. Why with the power off it would allow you to keep it off at night to save power.

Even small boats/RV's with a small fridge can use these for freezers since the others are very small or second fridges.

To be had, the Engel for a duration of an hour or two in a hot car can keep ice cream rock hard in those temperatures in an enclosed car on a 95F day.  How do I know?  I did it.  However if I am staying somewhere, the Engel can be plugged in 120V power and needs that to stay cold longer.  You run risks draining the battery beyond 4 hours use in the vehicle when off and the time is shorter the hotter things are.  Right at this moment I am using my unit in my house as I needed the extra freezer space when convalescing.  I hope this answers your questions.

Offline stalag

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 11:53:20 PM »
I am going to note here.  The Engel is noted for being robust, and is capable of both 12V operation and 120V operation without use of wall worts/special adapters/etc.  Their 12V cable plugs directly into a 12V power point/cigarette lighter port and the 120V cable is like a computer cable.  This flexibility plus being rugged makes them useful for organ transportation for organ transplants.  Once properly set they maintain temperature.  As I mentioned previously they can keep ice cream rock hard.  On refrigeration it can keep food at a comfortable 38F easily.  Based on my experience, I am tempted to get a second so I have both refrigeration capability as well as frozen.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
Kimmie just wants to make sure it keeps BEER COLD  :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 10:44:00 AM »
Kimmie just wants to make sure it keeps BEER COLD  :D :D :D

LOL Tommy tell her it does....I still think a soda/beer coming from a cooler dripping with Ice water is best But I have ruined many a sandwich with cooler water......they can work together well. some can be used in cooler mode or power mode & some have half a freezer & half a fridge,

I am just amazed at how nice these things are.

After I bought it my wife Barbara asked if I can you sleep in it & I asked her why......she said you may be in it for the next week....I said I will take the couch instead. lol

No i just think there are so many choices that they may help people on here in many ways
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 10:46:32 AM »

Quote from: Tailgating is my game

To be had, the Engel for a duration of an hour or two in a hot car can keep ice cream rock hard in those temperatures in an enclosed car on a 95F day.  How do I know?  I did it.  However if I am staying somewhere, the Engel can be plugged in 120V power and needs that to stay cold longer.  You run risks draining the battery beyond 4 hours use in the vehicle when off and the time is shorter the hotter things are.  Right at this moment I am using my unit in my house as I needed the extra freezer space when convalescing.  I hope this answers your questions.

Yes it does & thanks & I hope you are feeling better. there are so many kinds, choices, prices & options out there that they seem to be a great option for people on here.....
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill