Author Topic: Houston traffic sucks but we had fun anyway  (Read 6262 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Houston traffic sucks but we had fun anyway
« Reply #-1 on: October 08, 2021, 08:15:42 PM »
After Jack’s gathering last weekend and a few more days with my daughter and her family in Charlotte I got to Houston yesterday afternoon. IR2dum picked me up at the airport and chauffeured me through the horrible traffic to my hotel near the Galleria. I met up with a friend of mine from home (George Wilkinson – he met Bremer, tee, and Lost Arrow in New Orleans with us a few years ago).

Don and Barbara joined us for dinner at Ninfa’s (more horrible traffic) for one of the best Mexican meals I’ve had in years. It was great to finally meet Barbara – she’s a really neat lady (despite her horrible taste in men).

This morning Bremer picked me and George up at 10 AM for the "classic" BBQ tour. We headed down the road for a couple hours and after a pit stop at Buc-cee’s in Luling headed for our first BBQ “sampler” at City Market.

Then on to Lockhart for stops at Smitty’s, Black’s, & Kreuz Market for more BBQ, Round Rock for Round Rock Donuts, Taylor for Louie Mueller’s BBQ, and finally to South Side Market in Elgin for hot gut sausage and Blu Bell ice cream before braving the traffic back to Houston – made it back to the hotel about 6.

Okay – now for the food…

We had “samplers” of BBQ at each stop, generally splitting about half a pound each of three meats among the three of us at each place. Concentrated mostly on brisket and sausage but also had some smoked ham, pork belly burnt ends, smoked prime rib, and smoked pork belly in the mix. The final damage was about three pounds of mixed BBQ per person plus a couple of donuts, some beverages (including Shiner Bock for the passengers and Big Red for the driver/guide). I bought a t-shirt in Elgin and the lady gave me a scoop of Blu Bell cherry ice cream with the purchase. No wonder we can hardly move.

Louie Miller’s made the best brisket and sausage (by a measurable margin). Most everything else was pretty good but frankly most of our forum members do better (although we don’t have to cook day in and day out at the industrial level with its own set of unique supply and quality control challenges).

Bottom line: It was a great trip even though I thought the taste at most of the places had slipped since my last visit in 2008.

Tomorrow will likely be the best of the lot – we’re off to Killen’s in Pearland for lunch. More as it happens…
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Houston traffic sucks but we had fun anyway
« on: October 08, 2021, 11:36:48 PM »
That is ONE great start for a BBQ road trip!!  Can't wait to hear more.

Art

Turtle, what is the over/under on the weight you will gain on this road trip?
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 08:50:46 AM »
Don is the best host and guide you can have for the bbq crawl.

When he took us to these places, the folks let us go behind the counters to see the pits up close.  All of the pit masters were very friendly and answered any questions we had.  I couldn't believe how many LONG pits there were at Kreutz market.  I took plenty of pictures but don't know how to post 'em.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »
Turtle, what is the over/under on the weight you will gain on this road trip?
Doesn't matter. Bet the Over.

I took plenty of pictures but don't know how to post 'em.
Call dee - he's good at that stuff.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 04:46:08 PM »
This just in!!!

All brisket bets are off! We had lunch today at Killen's BBQ in Pearland and while their pork ribs were okay and their sausage pretty good, their brisket was by far the best we've had so far. Simple (salt, pepper, garlic rub), tender, juicy, excellent bark and great taste. Bremer was a bit smug (He predicted it) but aside from that it was wonderful and renewed my faith.

Time to at least temporarily realign the taste buds so back to Tex-Mex tonight at El Tiempo and brunch tomorrow at Caracol. Stay tuned for details.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:17:49 PM by Ka Honu »

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »
Nice lookin' plate ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 07:44:28 AM »
El Tiempo Saturday night was good. Similar to Ninfa’s (not surprising since the owners are two of Mama Ninfa’s sons) but Ninfa’s was a bit more to my taste. I have to admit, though, that El Tiempo’s Carnitas Chile Relleno (photo below) was pretty damn good and Bremer picking up the tab (at Barbara’s insistence) was certainly a plus.

I guess I shouldn’t mention the ‘Bama-A&M game but it gave me an excuse to call dee (message left – not answered) and tee (who was an even happier camper out in New Mexico – wherever that is).

Sunday we had brunch at Caracol, an upscale Mexican restaurant near the Galleria. The roasted Brussels sprouts and chicken with achiote were great (more pics below). That one is gonna cost Bremer some bucks when Barbara tries it and puts it in the rotation. Very good but Ninfa’s is still my favorite.

More after today’s adventures…

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 10:52:31 AM »
I agree with Turtle's assessment and review of the restaurant's food so far. Caracol for Sunday Brunch was my favorite. I had never heard of it before but it is now going into the Tex-Mex rotation (and Barbara will be thrilled). Today we are going to have chicken fried steak. It's at the same place that Tim and I dined at about a year ago when he came through town on his hog hunt.You can't come to Texas without having a CFS. We are also going back to a Buckee's to stock up on some different flavors of jerky. What with Jaxon's backyard cookout last weekend and all this food this week, I won't need to eat again for months.

It really is fun hanging out with Turtle and George. Despite ruining Turtle's reputation on this forum, he is a great person and fun to be around. I really enjoyed our central Texas BBQ tour. We didn't see any famous pitmaster's on this trip with the exception of Wayne Mueller at Mueller's BBQ in Taylor. He greeted us at our table. I found out that he has lived a few blocks from me a few years ago. Who knew.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 12:24:40 PM »
Wow fantastic looking plates
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 09:34:48 PM »
Today was dedicated to chicken fried steak at Pappy’s and the last Tex-Mex at Pappasito’s.

The photo doesn’t show the side of gravy (and some hot sauce) I added just to perk up the cheese grits a bit and make sure the CFS didn’t dehydrate. Put this one in the “Win” column. Of course pretty much everything we’ve done this weekend (except fighting traffic) is in the “Win” column – just the way it was supposed to be.

Pappasito’s was a fitting end of the tour. The fajita, shrimp, and sausage special covered all the bases (and two plates), even leaving enough for breakfast so I don’t have to eat airline food. Washed down with a large Reserva margarita – life is good.

I’m toast – Texas Toast that is. I need to go home for a while, maybe a while-and-a-half. Might even have to change my handle from Ka Honu to El Hombre Gordo.

Like Jaxon and Debbie, IR2dum and Barbara were wonderful hosts (plus guide and chauffer services thrown in). We may not deserve it but we all should have friends like those four. We couldn’t have done it without them and they all have my sincere thanks. My cardiologist and dietician may not see it that way but the Hell with them.

OBTW, Art – if you bet the over like I advised, you made money.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »
Those are some serious groceries!!  I certainly wouldn't be able to eat all that much today.  Sample, maybe, but not eat.

Art

BTW.  I couldn't find anyone to take the "under".  Everyone wanted the "over".  No money exchanged, no feelings hurt.
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 12:33:11 PM »
I've seen bbq plates like that, but have never seen Tex-Mex plates like that here in middle Georgia or anywhere else.

Don really knows how to find the best spots to eat.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 04:21:05 PM »
Don really knows how to find the best spots to eat.

With only about 10,000 places to eat in Houston, it's not hard to find one.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 11:27:33 PM »
Art - You missed a great opportunity by not giving odds to draw bettors.  I ain't giving out any numbers but I beat the weight gain over/under by 25%. SWMBO was not favorably impressed by that Herculean feat (but she sure scarfed up the booty from Trader Joe's).

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 01:12:07 PM »
I finally said adios to Turtle and George yesterday. They were killing me with a food binge. What with Jaxon's cookout last weekend and this week's BBQ and Tex-Mex tour, I have probably gained 5 lbs. Well, back on the diet to try to lose it again.

Turtle and George were perfect visitors. They didn't complain much about the distances between restaurants or the traffic, but then again, this is Texas. I do have to say that I think all the extra traffic in Houston this week was people who came out to get a glimpse of the famous (or infamous) Turtle as he passed by. He even gave a few his flipper wave that he has now become famous for. Turtle, George, and I had a great time with some good food, good conversation, and a lot of fun. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again despite gaining the extra 5 lbs.