Author Topic: Franklin Barbecue Brisket Spice Rub  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Franklin Barbecue Brisket Spice Rub
« Reply #-1 on: May 26, 2022, 01:36:54 AM »
So a (not very bright Texan) friend of mine was in Austin last week and while going through the airport picked up an 11.5 oz jar of Franklin Barbecue Brisket Dry Rub to give me as a gift.  He also bought one for himself. According to Google, the retail on the jar is about $10-12.

Because he's a not very bright Texan (not IR2dum - he's much more smarter than this guy), he didn't bother to read the label ingredients which turned out to be salt & pepper. Not salt, pepper, and spices/herbs - just salt & pepper.

I checked on the internet and, sure enough, it's just a 50-50 Kosher salt/black pepper mix.

I can't believe Aaron (and Mrs. Aaron) market that stuff (especially at that price) - apparently there are an awful lot of not very bright Texans (and presumably not very bright non-Texans) out there.

Jus' sayin'... draw your own conclusions.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 02:26:57 AM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Franklin Barbecue Brisket Spice Rub
« on: May 26, 2022, 06:51:52 PM »
One of the employees of LA Barbecue in Austin used to work for Franklin and he said that he has NEVER used JUST salt and pepper on a brisket. The interviewer asked him if that included while he worked for Aaron and he repeated that he had NEVER used just salt and pepper on a brisket. I think Aaron is not telling the 100% truth, but that's the way pitmasters are. BBQ enthusiasts all have their little secretes.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 10:48:50 PM »
One recent rumor is that Aaron Franklin uses Lawry's Seasoned  Salt. Going by this rumor, I doctored up Turtle's Wagyu brisket with kosher salt, medium grind black pepper, and Lawry's Seasoned Salt. I think it turned out pretty tasty, but maybe a few of you that tasted it could weigh in.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 10:56:00 AM »
One recent rumor is that Aaron Franklin uses Lawry's Seasoned  Salt. Going by this rumor, I doctored up Turtle's Wagyu brisket with kosher salt, medium grind black pepper, and Lawry's Seasoned Salt. I think it turned out pretty tasty, but maybe a few of you that tasted it could weigh in.
Wish I had tasted it.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 08:01:23 PM »
I don't think Aaron would ever divulge any of his secrets. His employees could be told to say certain things to keep us off the right path.

Who knows for sure......but you can't go wrong with salt and pepper 50/50
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 10:55:41 PM »
... maybe a few of you that tasted it could weigh in.

It was amazing, largely due to the fact that your brisket transportation, seasoning, and cooking skills far exceed your (legendary) dry aging ability.

...but you can't go wrong with salt and pepper 50/50

I agree totally but, no matter whose name is on the bottle, I don't see paying $1 for a mixture which would cost less than $.25 if you purchase the exact same ingredients separately (although I suppose there are many even better known products marketed that way - like Starbucks selling mediocre coffee for several dollars a cup).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 01:52:13 PM »
The turtle is wise.   Why pay an extra 12.00 for someone to mix it for you  ???
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32