Author Topic: Wanna know what BBQ judges want?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Hub

Re: Wanna know what BBQ judges want?
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
While listening to the show the other evening, one interesting thing I did learn, that blew my mind, was that "bite-through" chicken skin is NOT a rule or requirement for chicken, yet many judges do score down on it.  A real head scratcher! :(

Correctamundo -- it has never been a requirement.  In fact, it isn't even a requirement to leave the skin on the chicken.  The only "requirement" is that judges must taste the skin if it is included in the entry.  I support this rule because the skin has and contributes a lot of flavor and the judge needs to experience it even though he or she might not be a "skin eater" by preference -- preferences have no place in judging.  Judges who mark down for tough skin are not totally erring, however.  Entries are judged for Appearance, Taste and Tenderness.  A judge who encounters tough skin on a piece of chicken (although the meat itself might be tender) and downgrades the Tenderness rating is not without basis.  As a judge I'm kind of lenient on this and as long as I can get a bite of the skin without having to gnaw on it like a pet poodle to dislodge the bit, I'm okay.  As a cook I think of "bite thru skin" as a pathway or convenience factor toward a good Tenderness score  ;D

Hub
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:46:47 PM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline PatioDaddio

Re: Re: Wanna know what BBQ judges want?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »
Sorry John if you took this the wrong way. Was just saying I would rather be a good chef than a good pitmaster. I love great BBQ but the current crop of television shows imho does not show great cooking skills. If all I had to do was cook the same thing over and over again by a set of standards applied by a set of judges that even the pittmasters say are, and I must agree, dont know what their doing, where is the challenge? As much as we would all like to think, cooking bbq is not a skill reserved for the gifted. It's been done for thousands of years. In this day and age a couple of google searches and the ability to read will get you half way there. Add a decent cooker and you can put out some good Q. In my opinion comp bbq is way over rated. A great chef can cook great BBQ...a great pitmaster can ONLY cook great BBQ.

No offense taken. The judging I was referring to (and was discussed on Greg's show) is KCBS judging. I don't know how the conversation shifted to television judging, but they don't use KCBS standards/rules. Frankly, all of the BBQ Pitmasters seasons except season one have sucked royally. Sure, I watch them, but man it's a train wreck.

I agree that competition barbecue is overrated, but it's also very difficult to do well.

John
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:50:59 PM by PatioDaddio »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Wanna know what BBQ judges want?
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »
Thanks John for sticking up for Season 1!  Season 1 was the best. It showed some of the many challenges of cooking on the circuit. About once a year we pull out a couple of big barrel grills at work and I grill burgers and dogs for all the employees and I am a little out of sorts not being on my patio where everything is familiar, so I can just imagine how difficult being on the competition circuit can be. It aint as good as backyard but the excellent Que that is produced under very difficult situations must be applauded........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32